• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Foobar2k + DSD + EQ APO/Peace

RHO

Major Contributor
So I've been struggling with this combination (FB2K+DSD+Eq APO) for some time now.
I've come to the conclusion that I don't have enough DSD files to not be able to use EQ while playing music trough Foobar. So I will settle for PCM conversion of the DSD audio.
Right now I have my settings as described in the Topping manual for DSD output using Asio drivers.
What would be the best configuration in Foobar to play all my music with the sample frequency and bit-depth of the file playing (so not the fixed 32bit/384KHz I use now, if possible) and DSD converted to PCM (what sample F do I choose? what bit depth? How to configure)
Do I remove the Asio drivers?
If so: what drivers do I install?

Set-up how it is now:
Laptop-> USB-> Topping DX3 pro-> Topping A50s-> headphones
F2K_DSD1.PNG

F2K_DSD2.PNG

F2K_DSD3.PNG

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you choose ASIO in Foobar, you can't use EqualizerAPO/Peace.
With Foobar 1.6.6, if you choose the default output, it will be WASAPI (non exclusive) and you can use EqAPO/Peace.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
I do use Foobar 1.6.6.
I know that it's the Asio drivers that prevent me from using Eq APO/Peace.
But I don't know how I would best configure Foobar for optimal playback if I choose not to use Asio and have my DSD converted to PCM.

So first thing I need to do is uninstall the Asio drivers.
...and then ...?
Do I need to change smething in my Windows settings?
Do I unstall the Topping drivers too?
What do I choose for Playback-> Output?
What settings do I use for SACD playback? Is this OK?
F2K_DSD_PCM1.PNG

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't need to uninstall ASIO nor the Topping drivers. Just select "default ouput" in the Playback/Output panel.

In the Windows settings, I'd select 44.100 kHz / 24 bit. Because I don't believe in the benefits of "Hi-res" as a human being unable to hear ultrasonics. Select 24 bit in Foobar also if asked.

In EqAPO, you might want to follow these advices:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nding-the-windows-audio-quality-debate.19438/
(in a nutshell:
- uncheck "use original APO"
- put a -4 dB pre-amp
and don't think about it anymore)

In the DSD panel you're good.

Last edited:
OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
You don't need to uninstall ASIO nor the Topping drivers. Just select "default ouput" in the Playback/Output panel.

In the Windows settings, I'd select 44.100 kHz / 24 bit. Because I don't believe in the benefits of "Hi-res" as a human being unable to hear ultrasonics. Select 24 bit in Foobar also if asked.

In EqAPO, you might want to follow these advices:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nding-the-windows-audio-quality-debate.19438/
(in a nutshell:
- uncheck "use original APO"
- put a -4 dB pre-amp
and don't think about it anymore)

In the DSD panel you're good.
So, everything I play in FB2K will be converted to 44.1kHz/24bit with these settings?

In my EQ profiles I use a pre-amp attenuation in relation to the EQ settings I do. So if I boost some frequency by 4dB and that's the most I boost any frequency, I apply a -4.5dB or 5dB pre-amp to be on the safe side.
Or is the pre-amp setting you are talking about for a different reason?

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
...Euhm, for some reason Spotify cannot play any music anymore now.
That's a strange coincidence ...
U can use MathAudio in FB2000
This is something I can install as a component?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, everything I play in FB2K will be converted to 44.1kHz/24bit with these settings?
I am not sure. I also put a Resampler (SoX) in Foobar to resample everything to 44.1 kHz because I use Convolver just behind and it can accept only one sample rate. The reason I don't convolve in EqAPO is I can sometimes hear glitches while changing songs (due to delay I guess) whereas it is seemless and clean with Convolver. If you only use parametric EQ in EqAPO, it should be fine though.

If you put+4dB somewhere and -4.5dB for preamp, it should be ok most of the time (it gives -0.5dB). But as the article says, -4dB is safer in some applications.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
OK guys, this is some real help. Thank you!
I think I got MathAudio working.
Eq APO/Peace is also working.
SACD plays as PCM audio now too.

I'll have a look at the article gain to see if I need the -4dB or if I will keep applying the pre-amp per EQ profile (or both).

...can't get Spotify to play anything... I even uninstalled and reinstalled it.
Cleared all temp files from memory. It keeps telling me I already have the app in the Windows Store, even after I did an uninstall. So I downloaded from the Spotify webpage. Still no audio.
I can play music from Spotify via BT on my Android phone. So it's not account related I think.
I think the Spotify app doesn't agree with one of the changes I made to the audio settings on my laptop. I guess the settings for the output device ((spreakers) Topping USB DAC ).

I played some music via the Android app. Then switches back to the Windows app and the problem was solved. :D

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll have a look at the article gain to see if I need the -4dB or if I will keep applying the pre-amp per EQ profile (or both).
In fact, a way to know how much preamp you need is this:

Download and install Audacity.
Record a loopback, and check the levels.
If they stay < 0dB all the time, even with your loudest tracks, you're good.
I like my levels to stay green all the time even when I have Foobar (music) + Youtube (tutotial, etc.) playing at the same time.

1624889990778.png

Reactions: RHO
Top Bottom