• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

foobar2000 v1.6.6 final has been released

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A couple of things to note with regard to Foobar's new defaults
  • The default appears to be WASAPI shared (not exclusive, even in 1.6.7β)
  • The default appears to be WASAPI push. It is generally recommended to use the event option (pull) when possible and to achieve this you have to select preferences/advanced/playback/exclusive mode/use event
The Default output in v1.6.7beta is the same as the Default output in v1.6.6 I think, but there should be a way to activate exclusive mode. I didn't download the beta but from I read on the Foobar forum, it must be that way.

Why should it be "recommended" to use "event"? I think it depends on devices: some work better with "event", others with "push".

Propheticus

I think it's simply a case of picking the (oldest) most compatible as the default. Latency is lower for event mode, but who cares about a couple of ms more during domestic music playback?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's simply a case of picking the (oldest) most compatible as the default. Latency is lower for event mode, but who cares about a couple of ms more during domestic music playback?
World lever FPS gamers?

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

levimax

Major Contributor
I just downloaded the 1.6.7 beta and unfortunately in exclusive mode there is a huge amount of static / crackling.... shared mode works fine. I read on the forums this is common... I guess that is why it is a beta.

levimax

Major Contributor
For what it's worth after reading the forums I set WASAPI mode to "event" (push is default) and enabled "smooth seeking" at set delay to 0 ms and now exclusive mode works. DAC is SMSL M8. YMMV

Pluto

Forum Donor
huge amount of static / crackling.... shared mode works fine. I read on the forums this is common... I guess that is why it is a beta
My hunch would be that the exclusive mode hardware buffer time is a tad on the low side at 100mS. I would try, say, 250mS (search within the advanced section to find the setting).

edechamps

Forum Donor
You had better ask someone who really understands the relative merits of push and event. @edechamps?

My understanding is that this mostly has to do with scheduling which itself has implications in terms of discontinuities (drops) and CPU usage. Event is supposed to be better than polling in theory, but in practice I hear some software/devices sometimes have problems with it. It definitely has nothing to do with audio quality (unless you're experiencing discontinuities of course, but that would be very obvious).

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For what it's worth after reading the forums I set WASAPI mode to "event" (push is default) and enabled "smooth seeking" at set delay to 0 ms and now exclusive mode works. DAC is SMSL M8. YMMV
Yes, the advise I read on the forum is to mess with fading, but it seems for some people it is better to unckeck it.

Go in Preferences>Playback>Output>Fading>Enable smooth seeking and you can put all to 0 ms if you want.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I couldn't be more happy with Foobar 1.6(.7), and the default ouput which is WASAPI (non exclusive). Not a single crack/glitch and I've been using it for weeks.
The new exclusive more doesn't work with the Focusrite Scarlett 2.4 though.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I couldn't be more happy with Foobar 1.6(.7), and the default ouput which is WASAPI (non exclusive). Not a single crack/glitch and I've been using it for weeks.
Is the default output option "Primary Sound Driver"?
foobar WASAPI shared.jpg

Or do I need to select the Speakers (SoundblasterX G6) option to ensure WASAPI shared mode?

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I installed the 1.6.7 on 1.6.6. In asio some cracks, in default mode exclusive a lot of craks and cut.
I came back in 1.6.6 and no cracks.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the default output option "Primary Sound Driver"?
View attachment 153128
Or do I need to select the Speakers (SoundblasterX G6) option to ensure WASAPI shared mode?
Yes, or any which doesn't have "[exclusive]" at the end, from what I understand.
"Primary Sound Driver" just indicates that if the default soundcard is already in use in exclusive mode by another app, Foobar will switch to another soundcard instead of not playing at all.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I installed the 1.6.7 on 1.6.6. In asio some cracks, in default mode exclusive a lot of craks and cut.
I came back in 1.6.6 and no cracks.
Exclusive mode in v1.6.7 is unusable with my Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen, but works flawlessly with Audioengine D3 and Topping E30.

bennetng

Major Contributor
Exclusive mode in v1.6.7 is unusable with my Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen
Type "exclusive" in the Filter box and change some settings (not necessarily same as mine as I don't use a Scarlett) and try again.
Of course, shared mode seemed to work fine according to your previous tests, so exclusive mode is not all that useful for you at this point perhaps?
exclusive.png

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Type "exclusive" in the Filter box and change some settings (not necessarily same as mine as I don't use a Scarlett) and try again.
Of course, shared mode seemed to work fine according to your previous tests, so exclusive mode is not all that useful for you at this point perhaps?
View attachment 155741
I messed up with the settings, but only adding a lot of buffer solved the problem, but it is not convenient.

Top Bottom