• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

foobar2000 modular freeware audioplayer for Windows developed by Peter Pawłowski

Tool

No wonder there is not many other choices. Besides it's simple and widely useful.

Tool

Nicely coloured frequency analyser. Is that a separate component or part of the whole skin?
It's seperate plugin you can download from foobar page. take a look on the pic.

Attachments

• Spectrum Analyzer.PNG
    Spectrum Analyzer.PNG
    207.5 KB · Views: 973

audimus

Does anyone have a suggestion for what theme works best on a 4k TV?

Or anything that keeps the interface sparse with just artwork rather than fill it with a lot of text (i.e., absolutely no lists, doesn’t work well on HTPC screens ). The ones I have seen look way too busy with UI designed by techie geeks. :) All designed for desktops and laptops.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Sorry to disturb your party, but as long as the WASAPI mode is not fixed (Event, the default, only works at 44.1 kHz with Windows' own UAC2 driver. Push works in all sample rates) I can't recommend it (as you might imagine our support stuff hates it because of this issue). I personally abandoned it years ago as the ASIO plug-in (some really crazy ASIO server stuff AFAIR) turned out to be incompatible and ruining ASIO system-wide on my test machine. Don't know if that has changed.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Zog

Sorry to disturb your party, but as long as the WASAPI mode is not fixed (Event, the default, only works at 44.1 kHz with Windows' own UAC2 driver. Push works in all sample rates) I can't recommend it (as you might imagine our support stuff hates it because of this issue). I personally abandoned it years ago as the ASIO plug-in (some really crazy ASIO server stuff AFAIR) turned out to be incompatible and ruining ASIO system-wide on my test machine. Don't know if that has changed.
Did shomeboddy say pAAArty? Seriously though, what party are you referring to? Two university degrees and I still have no idea what you are talking about.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer big blue eyes.... But I can't afford the real ones...

You could always go for this, only $1,800:

McClock Angle J.jpg

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never used FB, but always MusicBee. The latter is more an 'out of the box' thing. Simpler to configure and use. Downloaded, @Habu's suggestion, the dark blue McIntosh theme. First impressions:

Did a great job finding and listing album files. Gots to figure out how to order them by genre...standard with MB. I like the modular approach, but it has a learning curve. What doesn't? The McIntosh version is out of date. I'll have to try latest release if it's important. On the other hand, Binghamtom Blue meters are a plus. MusicBee doesn't have blue meters. MB should work that out.

Unlike MB, my install had no integrated WASAPI switch. I downloaded a .dll that was supposed to create WASAPI functionality, but the program would not load after the config. Had to back it out. Not sure what is going on with that.

I know there is a panel somewhere that adds album photos, so I've got to search that out, too. Comes standard with MB. Maybe it's just the theme I have. And let's face it, you really don't need to look at a picture when you are listening to files, especially when you have three VU meters and a waveform indicator going. I guess.

Overall 'feel' kind of reminds me of Linux back in the day... installing Nvidia drivers from scratch, configuring NDISwrapper (which probably never worked), and resolving dependency problems. Foobar is probably simpler than that. Most things are simpler than that. LOL. I'll keep it on my PC desktop because it looks cool. Using powered Presonus speakers for PC listening I don't think WASAPI matters. It's just something to say you have. And I like choice. I also like blue meters. Even if they don't do anything important, every component ought to have them.
foobar.jpg

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After looking at the FB import, things are pretty jumbled up. Songs from the same album in different places, albums split up, etc. Has to be due to the metadata. I'm sure that going in and manually adjusting things could fix it. Not sure I want to do that. I'll switch back to MB. Below are two MB screenshots showing one of the 'out of the box' layouts. Everything pretty much categorized with album pictures. Next is the WASAPI configurator, which runs out of the box with the proper settings. If I was younger I'd fool around with FB more. But I'm too old.

wasapi.jpg

mb.jpg

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sorry to disturb your party, but as long as the WASAPI mode is not fixed (Event, the default, only works at 44.1 kHz with Windows' own UAC2 driver

That seems odd. I've used f2k Wasapi event at 44/48/88/96 sample rates without audible issue on several DACs (Nuprime, Arcam, ancient MSB Link). What issue are you seeing?

Tool

That looks über-cool. But I cannot find where to download it.

Under the picture in the link you..... fuck it, see attachment;)

Attachments

• foo_enhanced_spectrum_analyzer.zip
    126.2 KB · Views: 204

Tool

Two monitors vision in foobar 2000:) with youtube plug in

Attachments

• Two monitors vision foobar 2000 and youtube video.PNG
    Two monitors vision foobar 2000 and youtube video.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 844
Last edited:

Jorj

Forum Donor
Sorry to disturb your party, but as long as the WASAPI mode is not fixed (Event, the default, only works at 44.1 kHz with Windows' own UAC2 driver. Push works in all sample rates) I can't recommend it

Works fine for me on WASAPI Event for all bitrates/frequencies I've thrown at it, on multiple different PCs. My Topping DX7 confirms the occasional HiRes track as being sent bit-perfect via its own display.

I just wish someone would write up a Google Home Assistant plugin for us so we could talk to FB2K.

Top Bottom