• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

foobar2000 modular freeware audioplayer for Windows developed by Peter Pawłowski

Degru

I've had some issues with Windows resampler, although I can't say this was audible (on Windows 8). Here's a chirp downsampled by Windows from 96kHz to 44.1kHz:
View attachment 33678

All those dark diagonal lines are aliases and folded aliases created by Windows resampler. All low in magnitude, but looks a bit nasty, doesn't it?

Here's an improved one, had to write the resampler myself:
View attachment 33680
Are you able to somehow replace the one built into Windows? Does the audio APO framework even allow for that, or is it implemented after the resampling step? The biggest strength of Windows DS resampler is that it is implemented seamlessly systemwide..

Zoomer

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you able to somehow replace the one built into Windows? Does the audio APO framework even allow for that, or is it implemented after the resampling step? The biggest strength of Windows DS resampler is that it is implemented seamlessly systemwide..

I needed a high quality resampler to use in DeltaWave software. I doubt there is an easy way to replace the stock Windows resampler.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to disturb your party, but as long as the WASAPI mode is not fixed (Event, the default, only works at 44.1 kHz with Windows' own UAC2 driver. Push works in all sample rates) I can't recommend it (as you might imagine our support stuff hates it because of this issue). I personally abandoned it years ago as the ASIO plug-in (some really crazy ASIO server stuff AFAIR) turned out to be incompatible and ruining ASIO system-wide on my test machine. Don't know if that has changed.
I’m having trouble with Audirvana to Bluetooth from a MacBook - added distortion signal. Only from Audirvana. 1. Do you have any experience with that? 2. Do you recommend any player software for OSx?

jsm

I use foobar as a tool, not as a player, I put 3 things into:
- Dynamic Range meter, look here and here (if you don't know what the dynamic is, look here, here and the database here;) )
- Spek by installing first normaly (not a foobar plugin) and after that, add the service you named "Spek" in foobar2000 with this path: "C:\PROGRA~2\Spek\spek.exe" "%path%", you can now run spek on right click on songs "Run service->Spek". I can verify the good quality of the file, the historical progression in mic/mixing until the 70'. You will also see the empty of db lvl in very high frequency (but not in octet quantity :s) in toomuchformenow High rez files - generally up to 96khz. It change my point of view on some things ;), especially when you try a freq generator on your phone, what is your audition limit? Me it's 17500khz (I'm 32), too much concerts without protections :facepalm:. So, in the better case, so much low db in more than 48khz freq, I do my own choice, 24b 44/88/96khz are now my prefered format ;).
- Wave form seekbar in bonus, the silhouette is relative to the Dynamic Range (DR)

If you know other tools usefull for record quality measurement I'm interessed :)

Last edited:

robertospeed

foobar2000 DarkOnev4Mod, YouTube channel to view and download the player:

foodark.png

roskodan

Just dropping by to remind that foobar2000 has a convolver plugin, Impulse Response Convolver plugin, once installed, to EQ your headphone to Harman, just download the respective .wav file for your headphone from AutoEQ results and load it into the plugin (WARNING: just turn off "Auto level adjust", in plugin settings, as it seems to not work properly and induces digital clipping).

OP
Habu

Habu

Hello from France

Here is a temporary link to blackeyefoobar.zip just in case…

Happy new year

Habu

Top Bottom