• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Foobar or JRiver

Foobar VS JRiver

• Foobar

Votes: 105 53.6%
  • JRiver

Votes: 54 27.6%
  • Other (Mention below)

Votes: 37 18.9%

• Total voters

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the record: EqualizerAPO can do (almost) the same for free.
Yes, I use EqAPO usually which is easy to use.

I tried JRiver WDM last night, with Foobar as player for the experiment. Got latency and pops but it worked. I could probably have it to play clean with a bit of configuration but yeah, APO easier to use.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@maty perhaps we could go on with the discussion here.

Can you be more precise about what differences you hear between Foobar200 and JRiver?

I have another question: which one uses less CPU?

maty

Major Contributor
So they almost nothing load the CPU, unlike Firefox when works.

Just now JRMC v25.0.96 64-bits: 24/96 FLAC

Process-Lasso-JRMC-foobar2000.png

24/96 FLAC A1 I Allegro Giusto from: Alfred Brendel - Schubert - Piano Works - Klavierwerke - Musique Pour Piano - 1822-1828 (1973), Vinyl x8, Philips, Netherlands

https://www.discogs.com/Schubert-Al...-Musique-Pour-Piano-1822-1828/release/3431730

The rules are different, trying to approximate the sound of foobar2000 to JRMC but there is no way. With Kernel Streaming.

EDIT: JRMC usually has High priority, like others multimedia players. Play music without finishing Windows optimization, just to make the screenshot.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
Almost a year ago I passed the tests proposed by PMA on diyaudio.com very easily with both soft players. When they were complicated they were still overcome without difficulty with JRMC but not with foobar2000.

More analog sound, more pleasant, less strident but more detailed. In the end, the really important thing: I get EMOTIONED much more easily.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More analog sound, more pleasant, less strident but more detailed. In the end, the really important thing: I get EMOTIONED much more easily.

Your subjective perception is noted.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of CPU usage, Foobar2000 with ASIO to my DAC uses about 1% CPU of my old dual core laptop @ 0.8GHz
Untitled.png

maty

Major Contributor
foobar2000, the same track: about 1.5%.

BTW, now it works thanks to JRMC WDM driver: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver
And... appears KS from JRMC!!! KS: JRVAD Wave

foobar2000-Brendel-KS-JRVAD-Wave.png

@Julf

As you seem to follow me almost every thread where I participate, tonight I will look under the bed in case you are there :eek:

Last edited:

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Question: What does it matter? And is more better, or less? With the CPUs have, CPU usage doesn't matter for music playback.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Question: What does it matter? And is more better, or less? With the CPUs have, CPU usage doesn't matter for music playback.

I'm doing tests at the moment on my laptop to limit CPU usage so that the fan doesn't start (I don't like extra noise added to my ambient music).
Going from HDD to SSD was already a big step forward.

maty

Major Contributor
With 24/96 FLAC

JRMC: 2% (file load to memory) and foobar2000: 1.5%

Very small values. With old Intel i5 4460.

About the HDD, I have optimized (audio files) to play multimedia. Western NAS Red (you know, the fiability is very important). And two one backup from music, external

BTW: I am almost all the time typing an imaginary piano. Very great sound and interpretation! Without clicks and any noises, without soft processing.

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Is CPU usage bigger with WAV than FLAC ?
And compared to mp3?

maty

Major Contributor
The more compression, the more CPU load for decompression. How much? I do not know. Only I can say I can hear the difference between FLAC 0 and FLAC 4.

WAV - FLAC 0 - .... - FLAC 8 - MP3

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The more compression, the more CPU load for decompression. How much? I do not know.

Key phrase "do not know". How about finding out? More compression might cause slightly more cpu processing load, compensated by lower cpu load for not having to shift redundant extra data in and out.

Only I can say I can hear the difference between FLAC 0 and FLAC 4.

Indeed. Only you can say that. :)

maty

Major Contributor
I know of a few who prefer WAV over FLAC. I have tried to convince them to do the WAV vs FLAC 0 test. The difference is minimal, I would not pass a blind test. But FLAC 0 vs FLAC 4 is easy. Years ago, with foobar2000, I appreciated the difference between FLAC 5 and FLAC 4. In those years I recommended FLAC 4 1024 kbps.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Years ago, with foobar2000, I appreciated the difference between FLAC 5 and FLAC 4.

How about posting your foobar2000 ABX logs?

maty

Major Contributor
Never. And as you well know, for a few weeks, I will never trust foobar2000 or the ABX plugin for any type of test.

August 2011

foobar2000-FLAC-4-1024Kbps-versus-FLAC-8-768kpbs.png

Impresiones

...Las músicas suenan bastante mejor que antes de la última mejora de las cajas. Los dos temas del disco Get Out de Capercaillie Pige Ruadh y Dr. MacPhail's Trance suenan como un tiro, y es donde más se nota la diferencia en la comparación, mientras que en el viejo tema de Otis Redding Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay en Lo mejor del Soul es en la percusión donde se nota.

Well, the test was FLAC 4 vs FLAC 8.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never. And as you well know, for a few weeks, I will never trust foobar2000 or the ABX plugin for any type of test.

So how did you actually test?

maty

Major Contributor
August 2009

Tras hacer pruebas con Lo Mejor del Soul (1992) con FLAC 5 a 768kbps, FLAC 5 a 1024kbps y FLAC 4 a 1024kbps, he decidido optar por la última opción pues la percusión resalta más, incrementando muy ligeramente el tamaño respecto a la primera opción por defecto.

EAC-Lo-mejor-del-soul.png

EAC-opciones-compresion-flac4-1024kbps.png

-4 -V -T “ARTIST=%a” -T “TITLE=%t” -T “ALBUM=%g” -T “DATE=%y” -T “TRACKNUMBER=%n” -T “GENRE=%m” -T “COMMENT=%e” %s -o %d

Top Bottom