• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Foobar or JRiver

Foobar VS JRiver

• Foobar

Votes: 105 53.6%
  • JRiver

Votes: 54 27.6%
  • Other (Mention below)

Votes: 37 18.9%

• Total voters

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have and use both. I love the simplicity and user experience of JRiver but hate the constant "buy it again" upgrades. I stopped updating it and just use it. I love the flexibility and tweakability of Foobar. It's kind of like comparing iOS and Android, or Windows and Linux. I've found as I get older simplicity is trumping out over flexibility. I traded in my Android phone years ago for an iPhone. I find myself using JRiver most often. It just does what I need it to do.

Martin

OffLabelUse

The Smiths' work I liked, but Morrissey solo not so much with his distasteful political views... :confused:
His views are common sense, people are too sensitive. But, I don't let an artist's political views, or their favorite meal or the color of their socks affect my views of their music.

I've been using Jrivers for years. It's a piece of shit and 1/2 the functions don't work (and JimH doesn't seem interested in fixing them, more into making JRMC a Tee Vee friendly money grabbing "tool") but until something better comes along...

That can handle a 20TB music collection

Sort the whole thing randomly.

...I'm stuck with it.

That Foobar, MediaMonkey and JRiver are still floating along as the main choices, what? 7-8-9 years later? Is depressing.

They could all be so much better.

And oh yeah fading to sleep, rating by more than 5 stars and having a "help" forum that isn't staffed with snotty jackasses would be a big plus.

Last edited:

shuppatsu

the opposite, if you have a few hundred its manageable with foobar, when you get to the point of 20k songs which is a lot of albums even having them organized in folders with a good hierarchy its just unbearable to deal with. You will end up listening to the same 20 albums out of the 2000 you have.
Not actually trying to argue with a person from four years ago, but Foobar2K has long had powerful organization/browsing features with ColumnsUI and Facets, and now ReFacets. I don’t have any problems with my ~22k song library.

The big problem with Foobar is that it’s so bare-bones and unopinionated on initial install. It’s kind of amazing to me that it’s Windows-only because the approach is so similar to the major open source programs in the Linux world. But once you figure out how it works and have configured it to your liking, it’s amazingly flexible and powerful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom