• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Font size (accessibility)

OP
Tortie

Tortie

Forum Donor
Use the zoom function in your browser? The design seems to scale well, so I see few issues with that. Hotkeys in Firefox and most other browsers on Windows would be Ctrl-+/- and Ctrl-0 to reset.

Doesn't work for me. You're probably referring to desktop browsing. I'm using Chrome on Android mobile. Adjusting the Chrome zoom setting to max, which is 200%, has no effect on ASR. I was hoping there was a Don't size setting for ASR like there is with Twitter.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Huh. ASR (at least this very page we are on) uses a bog standard choice of "viewport" meta tag, the common
Code:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
Nothing that should prevent you from zooming, like the attribute user-scalable being set to 0 / no. So I'm at a bit of a loss here.

In this respect, ASR should behave like a gazillion other websites, including mine. Is that any different? Might be worth checking out with another browser app.

OP
Tortie

Tortie

Forum Donor
Huh. ASR (at least this very page we are on) uses a bog standard choice of "viewport" meta tag, the common
Code:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
Nothing that should prevent you from zooming, like the attribute user-scalable being set to 0 / no. So I'm at a bit of a loss here.

In this respect, ASR should behave like a gazillion other websites, including mine. Is that any different? Might be worth checking out with another browser app.

Below is what I'm seeing from ASR with Chrome accessibility font zoom set to 135%:

Capture+_2021-02-14-17-34-21.png

It's maddening small and doesn't change even when I max out at 200%

Below is a screenshot of a random page on your website. Your website respects my Chrome accessibility font zoom settings

Capture+_2021-02-14-17-34-03.png

I can really crank your fonts up when I set my zoom to 200% (below) if necessary:

Capture+_2021-02-14-17-40-52.png

Capture+_2021-02-14-17-43-02.png

I've tried 3 different browsers, Microsoft Edge, Chrome, and Brave. ASR ignores the font size zoom settings of all three browsers. It looks like ASR, like a few other forum websites, just isn't optimized for mobile.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
FWIW works fine on Firefox. In order: normal, pinch zoom, accessibility 200%:

zoom.jpg

OP
Tortie

Tortie

Forum Donor
FWIW works fine on Firefox. In order: normal, pinch zoom, accessibility 200%:

View attachment 112590

Thanks for testing Firefox! I'm typing this reply from within Firefox android and can confirm that ASR respects the Firefox accessibility zoom setting. I'll just do all my ASR browsing through Firefox from now on.

OP
Tortie

Tortie

Forum Donor
Head-fi was another forum that wouldn't play nice with Chrome accessibility settings. Firefox android works with Head-fi too. This is nice. I didn't really like Firefox but I guess it's useful for forums.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Below is what I'm seeing from ASR with Chrome accessibility font zoom set to 135%:

View attachment 112586

It's maddening small and doesn't change even when I max out at 200%

Below is a screenshot of a random page on your website. Your website respects my Chrome accessibility font zoom settings

View attachment 112587

I can really crank your fonts up when I set my zoom to 200% (below) if necessary:

View attachment 112588

View attachment 112589

I've tried 3 different browsers, Microsoft Edge, Chrome, and Brave. ASR ignores the font size zoom settings of all three browsers. It looks like ASR, like a few other forum websites, just isn't optimized for mobile.
Just gonna report that Safari on iOS works.

I tried Chrome on iOS and it didn’t allow text zoom at first. However, requesting the desktop version then allowed text zoom to work. Weird thing is, I can request mobile version and the zoom option still is active.

OP
Tortie

Tortie

Forum Donor
Just gonna report that Safari on iOS works.

I tried Chrome on iOS and it didn’t allow text zoom at first. However, requesting the desktop version then allowed text zoom to work. Weird thing is, I can request mobile version and the zoom option still is active.

Definitely weird. Sounds like a coding issue with the ASR website that affects some popular android browsers.

danadam

Head-fi was another forum that wouldn't play nice with Chrome accessibility settings.
Both ASR and head-fi use xenforo, so it might be a bug there. Their forum also doesn't scale. But what is more probable, is that the actual text scaling feature in chrome is buggy: Issue 779409: Text scaling setting in Chrome scales some elements but not others. For example, go to https://google.com and you'll see it is also not scaled.

On some xenforo forums they have text size widget:
fontsize2.tmp.png

fontsize1.png

But I'm not sure if that's a default feature because somebody is asking exactly for this on their forum: Anyway to select font size for users?.

Last edited:
OP
Tortie

Tortie

Forum Donor
Both ASR and head-fi use xenforo, so it might be a bug there. Their forum also doesn't scale. But what is more probable, is that the actual text scaling feature in chrome is buggy: Issue 779409: Text scaling setting in Chrome scales some elements but not others. For example, go to https://google.com and you'll see it is also not scaled.

No need for me to go to Google com. I can already see the variance in font zoom right here on this page. Below this column of comments there's a webpage element for 'Similar Threads'. The text there does follow my Chrome zoom settings. So you're right. There's definitely some compatibility issue between Chrome and certain webdev kits. I guess Google is not going to fix the issue from their end.

danadam

No need for me to go to Google com. I can already see the variance in font zoom right here on this page.
The point of google.com example was that if even google's own pages don't scale, then it is not a problem with those different sites but with chrome itself.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Try Brave browser which is chrome based and see if it works differently. Just to see where the problem might lie.

OP
Tortie

Tortie

Forum Donor
Try Brave browser which is chrome based and see if it works differently. Just to see where the problem might lie.

Already did. Same result...because it's chromium based. Microsoft Edge is also chromium based and also can't adjust in-line thread fonts on ASR. So I think we've found the common denominator.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Already did. Same result...because it's chromium based. Microsoft Edge is also chromium based and also can't adjust in-line thread fonts on ASR. So I think we've found the common denominator.
Well maybe Firefox will do it for you.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't work for me. You're probably referring to desktop browsing. I'm using Chrome on Android mobile. Adjusting the Chrome zoom setting to max, which is 200%, has no effect on ASR. I was hoping there was a Don't size setting for ASR like there is with Twitter.
Actually it works for some thread topics for me, but not all. But it works for all messages content.

I have something like "allow webpage resize" checked.

Top Bottom