• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Following the Audio Path in a System

LuckyLyndy

If anyone can post a link, I am wondering about the audio path from my PC desktop hard drive.
What is the point of buying a motherboard soundcard, if you are going to take the outgoing signal to an outside chip amp?
And doesn't the chip amp have an onboard DAC?
I'm getting the impression of polishing the polish.
I went ahead and ordered a used Creative Soundblaster SBX 1500, but had to add a splitter because my new Fosi BT Pro only had standard RCA jack inputs.

All that to just hear from my passive computer speakers.

And my same question continues on the audio path with my living room setup. I ordered a WiiM Mini Streamer.
Much like the old Google Audio Play, it has both COAX digital and Toslink out, so one can bypass the DAC in it, to a better DAC. Well...that didn't work. I heard the click meaning the 'handshake' was made, but no sound.
I went ahead and used an older Panasonic receiver the SA-X45, and that worked just fine. I would still like to see how to get my $600 separate DAC to work with this system, and if I had to use it only with the CD player, what DAC is being used? There is a DAC in the CD player>CoAx out>Separate DAC>Panasonic A/V receiver, which has a DAC has well. Is the desired DAC being used, or are all the DAC's having a go on the audio merry go round?

staticV3

Master Contributor
What is the point of buying a motherboard soundcard, if you are going to take the outgoing signal to an outside chip amp?
The point could be a variety of things: better conversion, more features, better format support, aesthetics, ...

And doesn't the chip amp have an onboard DAC?
Some chip amps indeed have onboard DACs.

if I had to use it only with the CD player, what DAC is being used? There is a DAC in the CD player>CoAx out>Separate DAC>Panasonic A/V receiver, which has a DAC has well. Is the desired DAC being used, or are all the DAC's having a go on the audio merry go round?
Coax out is digital. DACs can only receive digital and output analog.

Go through your audio chain one by one, think about the components and signal type at each step, and it should be clear what does what.

Edit: one exception is AVRs where fully analog signal paths as well as digitized signal paths exist.
Which category your AVR falls into depends on both the specific model and how you have have it configured.

Last edited:
OP
LuckyLyndy

LuckyLyndy

The point could be a variety of things: better conversion, more features, better format support, aesthetics, ...

Some chip amps indeed have onboard DACs.

Coax out is digital. DACs can only receive digital and output analog.

Go through your audio chain one by one, think about the components and signal type at each step, and it should be clear what does what.
Thanks, staticV3, your responses are appreciated.
Still dealing with it all. And I didn't realize that when I reset my Amazon tablet, my side loaded apps, like the WiiM app, don't work in that Fire OS.
I will rethink my "audio chains" this coming week, as the new ART phone pre, the new mobo sound card arrive.
And I'll try to take these words to heart, as I move forward.
Being Vegan?

Top Bottom