• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Follow Up: Puffin Phono DSP Preamp

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
It's probably those cheap toslink cables...

Feel free to wax eloquent... I'll do some blind comparisons when I get mine, because I care.

Is there a record that is going to be the standard if we've got a few of us sending in rips/samples? Is there a way to legally share rips with others, if they own the same record?

Don't want to get anyone in trouble, especially since I'm supposed to be the responsible one...

I did Side2 of DSOTM as my first rip (out of the 8 billion available versions/pressings) with the VM540... Turned out surprisingly well (IMHO), but I've got to dial in the process if these are going to be compared.

Ready for some blind comparisons?

Puffin scenario:

TT -> Puffin -> optical out -> Devialet optical in -> Devialet USB out -> Macbook

Gain: 68 dB
Loading: 200 ohm
Optical cable: Fancy looking Monoprice cable, 10 feet

All special effects, Magic, etc, off.

Devialet scenario:

TT -> Devialet phono in -> Devialet USB out -> Macbook

Sens: 0.25mV
Loading: 200 ohm

==========

Stage A Listening Test:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iE-3F9dDdHdh-jiA8DdAFHL8sA-kGkVA/view?usp=sharing

Stage B Listening Test:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S6P3OoggI_8v0pnKg_75F_WwrI_PxcDM/view?usp=sharing

If Audacity is right, the level matching should be pretty close.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
BTW, here are my ABX results from comparing the two files:

screen-capture.png

So 80%.

But also only a test of 5.....so could easily be just luck.

On the other hand, I was listening through laptop speakers...

nagster

Too bad this does not come with USB output. Would be a perfect tool to digitize records. I am aware of the spdif option, but that spdif>usb conversion.
The RME ADI-2 DAC in your signature may be able to send the S/PDIF input to your PC via USB.
Last year's post ...

Top Bottom