• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Follow Up: Puffin Phono DSP Preamp

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Thank you.

One caveat:

I haven't played with any of the new optionally-engaged "Magic" features that provide some sort of de-clicking algorithms.

In vanilla mode, the Puffin renders LPs as one would expect from a good analog stage, including the warts.

However, it's optional "tube simulation" DSP doesn't really sound like a tube stage to me, or at least not the all-tube phono stage I own.

Bigpond

I watched a vid of the magic mode at work on an “f” grade record and it seemed work. Boatload of caveats, of course.

I’ll be coming from an all-tube phono/pre but I want to slim down that system and see a lot of value in having dsp on the fly like this.

One caveat:

I haven't played with any of the new optionally-engaged "Magic" features that provide some sort of de-clicking algorithms..

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I watched a vid of the magic mode at work on an “f” grade record and it seemed work. Boatload of caveats, of course.

I’ll be coming from an all-tube phono/pre but I want to slim down that system and see a lot of value in having dsp on the fly like this.

Yeah...I don't keep "F" grade records. ;)

Bigpond

Yeah...I don't keep "F" grade records. ;)
Great point but I’ll have to purchase a puffin to see how poor my collection actually is lol.

I hear them mostly as A or A- it will be interesting to see how “revealing” the puffin is .

o2so

Forum Donor
So looking at the website the version with spdf output is more expensive than the analog only. I'm puzzled by this, unless the spdf version has digital AND analog outputs.
If not, what are the advantages of the spdf output? I would think that the inbuilt DAC does sufficiently well considering the low quality of the source, so not sure why one would want to use aan exernal DAC.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So looking at the website the version with spdf output is more expensive than the analog only. I'm puzzled by this, unless the spdf version has digital AND analog outputs.
If not, what are the advantages of the spdf output? I would think that the inbuilt DAC does sufficiently well considering the low quality of the source, so not sure why one would want to use aan exernal DAC.

It has both.

Could be useful for ripping records for those without a good ADC.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Thanks for the review. Always appreciate seeing them.

@watchnerd is playing around with one, and has a thread going...trying to see what it can do without an SUT for his very low output cartridge.
Don't know if you'd have any insight on that as he messes around with it.

I just got the Toslink version and hooked it up.

It also has the new firmware, with features like "Magic".

Sadly, just using Amazon Basics optical cable, so no fancy photons.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Nice! Mine went out Friday. Have you tried any of the new features?
Shannon mentioned he has some interesting updates coming... He seems to be the kind of guy I like to buy from.

Too bad about the cables... The magic settings probably won't work.

o2so

Forum Donor

I just got mine too with coax output.
BTW the noise spike a6 about 60 Hz disappeared after some tweaking with grounding. So the overall performance is quite great

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Shannon mentioned he has some interesting updates coming... He seems to be the kind of guy I like to buy from.

I've only played with the "Magic" feature, but not with any album that has more than very minor pops and ticks.

I don't know if I have any albums with bad enough artifacts to really test it (I tend not to keep those).

And, yes, I agree that Shannon is the kind of guy I like to buy from, too, and look forward to future updates.

I need to play with the new features more, including the Room EQ.

But first I need to re-check my azimuth, which it's great for.

Last edited:

JP

Major Contributor

$20 says he adds W&F measurement to it.

Top Bottom