• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Follow Up: Puffin Phono DSP Preamp

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
"Audio Amateur" magazine, later became "AudioXpress" sold books, CD's, LP's and stuff thru it's "Old Colony Sound Lab" department.

Our trim engineer was a friend of Ed Dell, apparently he had a professional bowling lane('s ?) in his basement.

JP

Major Contributor
I've only ever been able to find one.

IMG_3962.jpegIMG_3963.jpegIMG_3964.jpegIMG_3965.jpeg

JP

Major Contributor
No idea. Track lists don't seem to follow the STR series, at least for the CTC-310 I have.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Going back to 1978, I see:
STR 100 : Stereophonic Frequencies $10
STR 101 : Seven Steps to Better Listening $6.98
STR 112 : Square Wave Tracking and IM $15
STR 120 : Wide Range Pickup Response $15
STR 130 : RIAA Frequency Response $15
STR 140 : RIAA Pink Noise Acoustical $15
STR 151 : Broadcast Test 15
STR 170 : 318 Microsecond Frequency Response $15
STR 1100 : Quadraphonic Test $15

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
If I don't have at time machine, how do I get these old test disks?

Discogs?

Yes they are covered there, but rarely the ones that are not intended for consumer use. You have to remember several of the most interesting ones do not have RIAA and require a flat, or in one case, a custom one time constant pre-amp.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes they are covered there, but rarely the ones that are not intended for consumer use. You have to remember several of the most interesting ones do not have RIAA and require a flat, or in one case, a custom one time constant pre-amp.

Errrr...what was the purpose of these non-standard EQ settings?

If one wanted a recorded test signal back in the day that didn't use RIAA, why not use a reel to reel tape?

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Errrr...what was the purpose of these non-standard EQ settings?

If one wanted a recorded test signal back in the day that didn't use RIAA, why not use a reel to reel tape?

RIAA adds two sources of error the pre-emphasis and de-emphasis, an ideal cartridge (conventional ) is a constant velocity transducer as is the cutting head. They are (in the ideal case) exact complements so a flat with frequency input yields a flat with frequency output the error is almost entirely due to the cartridge/TT/arm without the component errors of two equalizers.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor

I did try grounding the Puffin to the AP, and the cartridge shell to that ground, and the mains pickup improved quite a bit. Still more than I'd like to see, and I have a pretty good idea of the grounding issues that cause this. You would too, if you could look at the innards...:D

View attachment 67048

can you please explain,,,?

JP

Major Contributor
BTW, who has my Puffin, anyway?

Bigpond

Anyone care to comment on how it sounds relative to an all analog phono?

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
If you guy's don't mind, I might want to at least take a look at it before passing it back to JP. You have my email.

Top Bottom