• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Folk and acoustic music

Artsfols

One of my passions is to play performance videos on my big screen and 3.1 sound system. This year has seen a bumper crop of such videos. I mostly stick to folk and acoustic music broadly defined. And I blog about this activity ....

Folk and acoustic music - discovery playlist - new videos for 2021

Since 2013 I've produced a countdown top 40 list and we (there's a panel) are at it again this year. The blog entry tells you all about it.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

She's gone from fairly anonymous folkie to winning an armload of Tony's in the space of a few years. But there are so many great female singers around right now - Sigrid, Freya Ridings, Sierra Ferrell, many others.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

Have you heard the Canadian Railroad Trilogy? Another one of his epic songs.

I see this was recorded in 2000 and Lightfoot hasn't looked well for years. Yes, he is out on tour again at this very moment.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

Natalia Lafourcade has made quite a good string of Latin/ Mexican music videos. This one topped our list in 2017 and didn't have all that many views then. It's at 250 million+ today. Her two 'Un canto per Mexico' albums are superb.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

Is this contemporary folksy? :D
They'd have no problem fitting in at a major folk festival.
Check out a group called the 'Cactus Blossoms' who do some great work in the authentic Western genre ... if that's what it is called. Or is it rockabilly?

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They'd have no problem fitting in at a major folk festival.
Check out a group called the 'Cactus Blossoms' who do some great work in the authentic Western genre ... if that's what it is called. Or is it rockabilly?
Cactus Blossoms would generally be considered as country, although I can see the comparison with Rockabilly. Rockabilly can be easily confused with multiple genres, as it is sort of a mix of country, 50's, blues and rock. Most of that music is either good or just bad.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

Cactus Blossoms would generally be considered as country, although I can see the comparison with Rockabilly. Rockabilly can be easily confused with multiple genres, as it is sort of a mix of country, 50's, blues and rock. Most of that music is either good or just bad.
I agree with you there. 'Cactus Blossoms' is quite versatile, so 'rockabilly' rather hems them in. Jerry Lee Lewis, on the other hand ... I think I was more referring to 'Junior Brown' above. At times, Cactus Blossoms vocals sound very much like the Everly's. Had you heard of them before today?

Top Bottom