• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focusrite Scarlett

Ole_S

Hi people,

Yes, it is me again.
The annoying person from Denmark.

I am just curious to hear your opinion on Focusrite Scarlett.
Jesus, some reviews!

Your thoughts on the brand and its products?

Especially:

• Foscusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen
  • Foscusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen

I am pretty sure you do not like Focusrite Scarlett, but know knows.

Looking forward hearing from you.

// Peace

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Whether or not you like the Focusrite Scarlett depends on what you are using it for. I have a 2i2 that I use with REW and a calibrated mic for room measurements. In this role it is fantastic - no fuss, easy to set up, and reliable. Mine is a Gen 1 2i2 and it still works flawlessly. OTOH if you want to use it as a headphone amp, be aware that the output is very low. As a general purpose DAC it will probably be OK.

Hexspa

They’re high quality devices with good support and excellent bundled software. I can’t comment on the drivers but they’re probably well-wrung given their wide adoption.

Hexspa

Whether or not you like the Focusrite Scarlett depends on what you are using it for. I have a 2i2 that I use with REW and a calibrated mic for room measurements. In this role it is fantastic - no fuss, easy to set up, and reliable. Mine is a Gen 1 2i2 and it still works flawlessly. OTOH if you want to use it as a headphone amp, be aware that the output is very low. As a general purpose DAC it will probably be OK.
Gen 1 is a worse performer than subsequent generations but it seems like the more experienced users don’t mind the difference.

OP
O

Ole_S

They’re high quality devices with good support and excellent bundled software. I can’t comment on the drivers but they’re probably well-wrung given their wide adoption.
Thank you for replying.
Better than Topping in our
Very useful.
Thank you.

Keith_W

Major Contributor

For the 2i2, and for me, the drivers work flawlessly. Download, install, plug in, and the device is recognized. No problem. Amazon reviews gives it 4.7/5. But Amir recently did a review of the 18i8 here and he complained of BSOD's and the device refusing to show up on his PC. Looking back at those Amazon reviews, there were 3-4 complaints about the driver (out of 37,000 ratings) so driver issues for the 2i2 are probably a rarity.

Barrelhouse Solly

I've had one for over 10 years. I've used it for home recording, room measurement, and as a usb DAC. It has been reliable and, like a good DAC, it's seen, not heard.

Ricardus

I have a 2i2 and a newer Claret+ 8 Pre and they work flawlessly, and I'm running them under linux,

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
3 years ago I learned how to do a loopback measurement of my 2nd gen 6i6 below. Most impressive was the low distortions when using with "normal" volume levels like volume knob at 10 o'clock.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I am pretty sure you do not like Focusrite Scarlett, but know knows.
I don't own it but MOST of these "little audio interfaces" from various manufacturers are very good for their intended purpose (recording from microphones, guitars/instruments, and line-audio sources).

If you have some special or unusual requirements you might need to check the features & specs.

Yogevs

I had the Foscusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen for recording and monitoring with speakers and headphones. It's a really cute and well-made device. My only problem with it was that when the headphone volume passed 75% it didn't sound amazing (for recording it was still fine, but not for listening/mixing). So if you use non-efficient headphones or EQ your headphones, I'd skip it. Otherwise - highly recommend.

Ricardus

I had the Foscusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen for recording and monitoring with speakers and headphones. It's a really cute and well-made device. My only problem with it was that when the headphone volume passed 75% it didn't sound amazing (for recording it was still fine, but not for listening/mixing). So if you use non-efficient headphones or EQ your headphones, I'd skip it. Otherwise - highly recommend.
This was a common complaint and I guess in the newer Clarett series they improved that.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For a time I used mine with digital out to a DAC+headphone amp, so I got the best of both worlds (home studio recording + audiophile powerful amp).

khensu

I have the 2i2. No idea what gen it is, but I only use it for recording streams with Audacity. I also noticed the headphone output isn’t the greatest, but I don’t usually use it. It’s a great device otherwise; no complaints from me.

Top Bottom