• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen... 80.00 no reviews found here yet ... good unit or is it a Pass..?

sdep77

All I want is almost Perfection from a DAC and want it for less than $100.00 ..not asking for much am I. Just really need a DAC that has volume control and headphone jack and Phantom power for measurement microphone able to play MP3 or FLAC files and eventually get Analyzed by the master himself amir and not get a double thumbs down rating. In other words I don't want to make an idiotic mistake when I am sitting here armed with all these reasonably priced DAC reviews that people are taking the time to do thorough Analysis on (and Thank You for all the time and effort that you all put into the reviews , forum responses and this site).........here are the Factory posted specs right from the website.

By the way the $80.00 price that I list is for a refurbished unit direct from the Factory on the Focusrite site.

Supported Sample Rates
44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz

Microphone Inputs
Frequency Response

20 Hz - 20 kHz ± 0.1dB

Dynamic Range

106 dB (A-Weighted)

THD+N

<0.002% (minimum gain, -1dBFS input with 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)

Noise EIN

< -128 dB (A-Weighted)

Maximum input level

+4 dBu

Gain Range

50 dB

Line Inputs
Frequency Response

20 Hz - 20 kHz ± 0.1dB

Dynamic Range

106 dB (A-Weighted)

THD+N

Maximum input level

+22 dBu

Gain Range

50 dB

Instrument Inputs
Frequency Response

20 Hz - 20 kHz ± 0.1dB

Dynamic Range

106 dB (A-Weighted)

THD+N

<0.02% (minimum gain, -1dBFS input with 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)

Maximum input level

+13 dBu

Gain Range

50 dB

Phono (RCA) Outputs
Dynamic Range Outputs

106 dB (A-Weighted)

Maximum Output Level (0 dBFS)

+10 dBu

THD+N Outputs

Headphone Outputs
Dynamic Rangejust just

107 dB (A-Weighted)

THD+N

Maximum Output Level

> +10dBu 81thLrXTNPL._SL1500_.jpgscarlett_solo_2nd_back.jpeg

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Good one for Amir to review.

What is the 'K' socket on the rear panel for?

Wombat

Master Contributor

Krunok

Major Contributor
My son is using Scarlett 2i2 for regular practicing of playing a solo guitar with headphones without disturbing the neghbours. This is very good device well worth its price.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Wonder if I purchase it and have it shipped to Amir for review and just send him a check or paypal it somehow for him to ship to me when he has finished the review I would do that, but he might have a ton of product sitting and waiting for reviews . maybe I will offer to do that... really think the Focusrite solo and 2i2 should be on his finished list they are both really big sellers. and we could even have a little fun and take bets on how it would measure up.. winner gets a prize or something.
I am happy to do that.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I think Focusrite uses the same DA chip as the Topping D30.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I'm using the 2i2 regularly for recording and occasionally for measurement. Works like a charm, I'd guess this is a safe purchase. But is the Solo stereo? The rear suggests yes, but the front suggests no.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I'm using the 2i2 regularly for recording and occasionally for measurement. Works like a charm, I'd guess this is a safe purchase. But is the Solo stereo? The rear suggests yes, but the front suggests no.

Doesn't the 2i2 have balanced outputs?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
They're TRS, so can be used either way.

Timbo2

So it's like the mullet of audio;).

Reactions: SIY

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen in my main rig. As a DAC, with balanced output to my amp and unbalanced output to my PC active speakers. And headphones out to AKG K701. ADC is for vinyl ripping after a MX-VYNL phono preamp.

I can't hear any distortion or noise, but I'm not sure the headphones out is that good. Impedance is over 10ohm I think and it probably changes the sound of the AKG K701 a bit (60 ohm).

Very convenient all-in-one interface. The drivers are not stable though. Seems better now but I had many problems before Windows 10 1903 and the latest drivers.

It is out of production now. They sell the 4i4.

You can find these measurements of the 2i2 online:
https://johnr.hifizine.com/2012/09/focusrite-scarlett-2i2-measurements/

Nationalizer

I have the first Solo and it sounds very bad + picks up noise from USB. Don't know about the latest one but the first one plain sucks for listening.

Top Bottom