• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Gen 1 vs Gen3

Echoa

I figured this is the best place to ask as you folks are the audio gurus and i most definitely am not one.

Ive recently come into some issues with my Focusrite 2i2 Gen1 where it likes to occasionally disconnect with my PC complaining that the device is misbehaving and will refuse to let it reconnect till i completely power off the system. It doesnt happen a lot but still its caused me some concern as the Gen1 is fairly old at this point and Im not exactly equipped to buy a new one just yet.

Im curious as to how the Gen1 compares to the Gen3, I know the mic/instrument inputs on the Gen1 have some problems with clipping even at low gain but beyond that Im not sure. Im mostly curious because my motherboard is a Gigabyte board similar to the one reviewed here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...te-z390-aorus-motherboard-audio-review.13083/ except with the 1220-VB which is supposed to be slightly "better" but ill assume theyre mostly the same or close. Id like to gauge the rough difference between my motherboard audio and the Gen1 but i can only find info on the Gen3 which i cant use because of its not being USB standards compliant so on Linux it causes some funny business using newer Focusrite products.

If anyone has some information they can give me Id much appreciate it, the 2i2 i have mostly works for the moment but If i can have a passable solution for the dropouts with my motherboard in the mean time till i can get something like the Motu M4/M2 when theyre not 500$+ because theyre oos.

OP
E

Echoa

Well I decided to just give it a go for the moment, Id still appreciate any info people might have.

I noticed that the mic input seems to have a much easier time than my 2i2 with my Dynamic mic. On the 2i2 i have to max the gain for decent volume and by the 1/2 way point its clipping but on my motherboard audio its acceptable just on plug in. Might be some sort of automatic detection but only slightly raising the gain on the motherboard audio it works very well.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Almost sounds like your old 2i2 is tired and has some power supply issues. I'd check the analog supply rails... if both are low you might have a bad / badly soldered USB jack or a bad USB cable (which would be in line with the disconnects you're seeing... though those might also indicate a controller chip in need of a reflow), if just the negative supply is low it's probably a bad electrolytic. I think these are generating -5V from USB +5V using a DC/DC converter.

I do think the 3rd gens should be working fine with a current kernel these days, but there's nothing keeping you from buying a used 2nd gen if need be, they're common enough. The relatively new Tascam US-2x2HR is a good one, too.

Having the input gain up near max is expected with a dynamic mic (onboard audio generally has selectable analog pre-gain for the mic input, usually in 10 dB steps up to +30 dB). That being said, what kind of "dynamic mic" is that and how exactly are you connecting it? There's obviously not one single cable that would accommodate both the 2i2 (balanced XLR in) and onboard audio (3.5 mm unbalanced in) at the same time. In fact, I can think of one pinout that would work fine in the latter but not the former.

OP
E

Echoa

I do think the 3rd gens should be working fine with a current kernel these days, but there's nothing keeping you from buying a used 2nd gen if need be, they're common enough. The relatively new Tascam US-2x2HR is a good one, too.
The Gen 3 "works" but because of the fact that Focusrite implements its own protocol over USB for certain functions on the device there are issues with the Gen 3.

Almost sounds like your old 2i2 is tired and has some power supply issues. I'd check the analog supply rails... if both are low you might have a bad / badly soldered USB jack or a bad USB cable

Dont have a multimeter at the moment, might be able to get one though and try that out

Having the input gain up near max is expected with a dynamic mic (onboard audio generally has selectable analog pre-gain for the mic input, usually in 10 dB steps up to +30 dB). That being said, what kind of "dynamic mic" is that and how exactly are you connecting it? There's obviously not one single cable that would accommodate both the 2i2 (balanced XLR in) and onboard audio (3.5 mm unbalanced in) at the same time. In fact, I can think of one pinout that would work fine in the latter but not the former.

Yeah the gain being high for a Dynamic mic is expected for the 2i2, i just found it interesting the motherboard audio just kinda worked and was figuring it must do some sort of detection. Mines just a basic Monoprice Dynamic Mic https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=600020, works well for my needs and for connection i use XLR for the Focusrite and a XLR -> 3.5mm for my motherboard.

Im wanting to avoid getting a used Focusrite again not due to any hate towards them but just seeing as the DAC means more than the ADC to me the and Id like something new and class compliant the Motu M4 caught my interest but the prices are crazy atm due to stock issues.

OP
E

Echoa

Welp, good news is i was scouring for the Motu M4 used and happened on one at just the right time to get it under original MSRP :)

So looks like Ill just be using my mobo audio till my M4 arrives.

Top Bottom