• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface Gen 3 Review

Tks

Major Contributor
Really happy to see more ADC capable devices. Honestly for $140, that thing is a pretty nice value all things considered.

The headphone power, I've yet to run into a device where I felt "there's not enough power" (aside from an iPhone or something with 600 ohm headphones). So for headphones it's meh for some people (I wouldn't mind, though with low ohm headphones, it looks unusable almost), but all other portions, seems nice to me. Also I like that red look they're going for in their brand.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@maty What I rip for myself is mostly 200 copies limited vinyl-only electro records or rare italo disco. If something is available digitally I go for it. Exceptions are made when the music is A+ and/or beautiful artwork.

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I understand well-designed DACs should all sound the same. But ADCs certainly do not all sound the same, how can this be explained?

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I know this is not a hardcore DIY site but I published in Linear Audio a 48V phantom powered buffer suitable for directly connecting a MM/MI cartridge to something like a Scarlet mic pre-amp so DSP RIAA can be applied. I also translated Gary Gallo's set of historical equalizations to IIR filter coefficients.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I connect the XLR out of my MX-VNYL to the TLR in (line in) of the Scarlett 2i4.
According to this review, should I use the XLR in (mic in)?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I know this is not a hardcore DIY site but I published in Linear Audio a 48V phantom powered buffer suitable for directly connecting a MM/MI cartridge to something like a Scarlet mic pre-amp so DSP RIAA can be applied. I also translated Gary Gallo's set of historical equalizations to IIR filter coefficients.
I'm interested. Is it part of this article? The summary talks about the DSP part but doesn't mention a buffer design.

Fluffy

I've been using the 2nd gen for a long time, and this sounds very much like my experience. Good all around, but the headphone amp is crap. That's why I have a whole different signal path for headphones (schiit modi+arcam rhead).

bravomail

Do these audio-interfaces allow any mixing? As in - get signal from PC and add microphone input for a nice karaoke? I have a mixer which does this in analog, but was wondering if some of this can be digital.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends on whether you have drilled lots of little holes in it to combat RFI MRI DIY MRSA...

Walls!!! Don't forget the thick aluminum walls inside!

(Edit to add photo.)

Maty Case.jpg

Last edited:

Aldoszx

This is the performance I expected from focusrite.
(next: clarett 2pre)

I am looking forward for Clarett 2pre USB, also !
I have one and I am very curious about the measurements.
For my taste, it sounds good enough.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good vinyl rips but not very good vinyl rips from very good recordings and pressings, I think.
Could you explain which spec of the ADC supports your claim?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't there a mismatch in the load? MM cartridges require 47 kOhm resistive load and a specified capacitive load. Mic inputs usually have around 2 kOhm input impedance, and who knows what input capacitance.

Aldoszx

Do these audio-interfaces allow any mixing? As in - get signal from PC and add microphone input for a nice karaoke? I have a mixer which does this in analog, but was wondering if some of this can be digital.
Yes, they do.
You have to use the software on Win or Mac to set the mix.
After that, the settings are preserved and you can use the interface as standalone mixer, if you want.
You can find more details in their users guides.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I connect the XLR out of my MX-VNYL to the TLR in (line in) of the Scarlett 2i4.
According to this review, should I use the XLR in (mic in)?
Yes but the difference is not big enough to worry about it relative to that kind of use.

Top Bottom