• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface Gen 3 Review

SchwarzeWolke

Forum Donor
Just a short question regarding drivers: Does this unit work out of the box with Win10 or do you really need drivers?

Sombreuil

IIRC it does work out of the box but it's not optimal when it comes to stability and latency (in case you buy it for music production/recording).

Alex-D

Why is the Motu M2 better?
Looks better to me (it's M4 review but they are likely to be very similar)

Better UI too with a proper display

sound-as-a-pound

Thanks for the prompt reply to my query!

All be it the scarlett is 140 bucks and the 220 bucks you would expect some additional functional for something that is just about 50 percent more expensive. The display is a useful feature and I see there are more inputs and outputs on the back. I do a comparison of the two reviews and see if I think the additional cost is justified. In reality all I want to do is hook up a top end rode mic for conference calls and I am looking for a interface that will connect to my phone or computer. Also, not explored it yet but I thinking that it would be possible to have the computer screen display the audio levels.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

All be it the scarlett is 140 bucks and the 220 bucks you would expect some additional functional for something that is just about 50 percent more expensive. The display is a useful feature and I see there are more inputs and outputs on the back. I do a comparison of the two reviews and see if I think the additional cost is justified. In reality all I want to do is hook up a top end rode mic for conference calls and I am looking for a interface that will connect to my phone or computer. Also, not explored it yet but I thinking that it would be possible to have the computer screen display the audio levels.
Make sure you're comparing the Motu M2 to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2:

Based on what you mention you have no need for the Motu M4.

Alex-D

Make sure you're comparing the Motu M2 to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2:

Based on what you mention you have no need for the Motu M4.
Thanks, haven't seen M2 review, turns out it isn't the same as M4 with more outputs

Sombreuil

Check out the MiniFuse 2 by Arturia. It's really good and you'd get the extra USB on the back. For your use, there is no need to buy something more expensive.

Tenfilip

2 Things - please note, that particular gens are different in terms of performance. Also: can I connect a normal minijack microphone (e.g. Vmoda Boom Pro) to this device, or only XLR phantom power ones, or electric guitars etc?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Also: can I connect a normal minijack microphone (e.g. Vmoda Boom Pro) to this device, or only XLR phantom power ones, or electric guitars etc?
Nope, consumer/video-spec electret mics do not work on this, or most any other audio interface for musicians for that matter. There's the Rode AI-Micro which can take two of them though, as well as their VXLR+ and VXLR Pro adapters.

Tenfilip

Nope, consumer/video-spec electret mics do not work on this, or most any other audio interface for musicians for that matter. There's the Rode AI-Micro which can take two of them though, as well as their VXLR+ and VXLR Pro adapters.
So basically you say "no", but the answer is "yes (with an adapter)"?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Correct. These "adapters" are a bit more than purely mechanical, and if you need the VXLR Pro with legit balanced output (e.g. due to your interface having a noisy P48V supply and relying on input common mode rejection to keep that at bay), that is not that cheap (over a quarter the price of a 2i2).

anli

Does anybody know what is output impedance of phantom power? 10K? 100K?

(I have got 4i4, but guess it's the same for 2i2)

Tenfilip

Guys, just a general remark to all who say that these devices should measure similarly across the generations - I wouldnt be so sure. There was a table which clearly showed, that some parameters are better, some worse, depending on the gen.

However, I can still confirm that 2nd gen also has a bit week headphone amp output;)

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Does anybody know what is output impedance of phantom power? 10K? 100K?
P48V is literally standardized. A 6.8 kOhm resistor per leg from +48ish V. There is very little reason to deviate from this unless you only have a fraction of the voltage available (only a few very budget mixers, I'm not even aware of any such audio interfaces).

However, I can still confirm that 2nd gen also has a bit week headphone amp output;)
Still better than the wimpy Gen3 though. An NJM8065 just isn't what you would call a great headphone driver, a poor design decision IMHO.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Still better than the wimpy Gen3 though. An NJM8065 just isn't what you would call a great headphone driver, a poor design decision IMHO.
Does the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen have the same chip for the headphones?
I previously had Steinberg and Zoom audio interfaces, but they sounded a long way from the 8i6.

Tenfilip

Does the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen have the same chip for the headphones?
I previously had Steinberg and Zoom audio interfaces, but they sounded a long way from the 8i6.
Long way better or worse?

Top Bottom