• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface Gen 3 Review

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Maximum output unbalanced is +9.5 dBu (~2.3 Vrms), most ordinary integrated amps should handle that fine. I might back off the output volume to 80-90% just in case.

You can generate a 0 dBFS (~0.999 amplitude) sine e.g. in Audacity and play that to verify you're outside of clipping.

You could also run the amplifier at a fixed volume (high enough to provide as much output as you'll ever want) and control output entirely via the Scarlett instead, its volume control is analog and the output stage has a decent amount of dynamic range. This is how the Scarlett would commonly be used in a home studio - most active monitors will have an input gain trim but it'll be hidden at the back, intended for use during setup only.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Hi, just turn the volume up (while feeding the DAC with 0dB 1kHz sinewave) till 2V RMS reading on your multimeter, then you're all set. I guess 2V RMS is at around 3-4 o'clock, but feel free to measure it.

Later, you can control the output volume from your amplifier's volume. You can also use DAC's volume knob to control the volume too, but you will have a bit higher background noise due to Focusrite output stage noise, although this may not be a concern, so feel free to try both.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are there recent driver issues? I am currently using Steinberg UR22 MK2 and while the hardware is okayish the driver is a nightmare. Settings reset randomly or don't even change when they are selected. BSOD every few weeks. Driver panel overall looks very outdated.

Because of that I am eying the Focusrite Scarlet.

nintendoeats

Are there recent driver issues? I am currently using Steinberg UR22 MK2 and while the hardware is okayish the driver is a nightmare. Settings reset randomly or don't even change when they are selected. BSOD every few weeks. Driver panel overall looks very outdated.

Because of that I am eying the Focusrite Scarlet.
Mine works fine, in Windows and Linux.

beq1990

Hello, I would like to use the scarlett 2i2 gen 3 to measure the THD+N at 1kHz of a DAC (the SMSL SU-9). I tried using REW software but I'm not getting any logical results so I suspect that something is wrong in my setup (sine wave generator from REW --> SMSL SU-9 --> scarlett 2i2 (via XLR) --> RTA in REW). Can anyone please explain what do I have to do for this kind of measurement? Do I need any additional hardware or the 2i2 acting as an external soundcard is enough?
I'm new to all of this, so sorry if this is a dumb question. Thanks.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
@beq1990, your setup seems legit to me, so I suggest you to use ARTA instead of REW and see if you get different results.

beq1990

@beq1990, your setup seems legit to me, so I suggest you to use ARTA instead of REW and see if you get different results.
Thank you for your reply. I downloaded ARTA and tried to use it but I get the same results. Here is a picture of the RTA window with the generator:
1630095398159.png

I get a high second harmonic distortion: that's why I think something is wrong with my setup.
Here are the settings I am using:
1630095501733.png

Am I setting something wrong? Thank you again.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Not sure it's the cause, but being stuck at 16 bit resolution wouldn't be helping matters for sure - you can easily see the quantization noise floor here. The library used by Java output can't do any more if memory serves (much the same as Audacity with MME or DirectSound, that's why that's got a WASAPI option now). You'd have to switch to ASIO - unfortunately REW wants to use the same ASIO device for output and input (for clock sync reasons no doubt) so that's kind of a bust... you may be able to use ASIO4All to combine both though. It seems a bit silly to be using an ASIO wrapper for using the WASAPI drivers for two devices supporting native ASIO, but hey, if it works...

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Here is a picture of the RTA window with the generator
Play a 0 dBFS file (audiocheck.net) and adjust the volume knob while measuring the output of your focusrite (between V+ and V-) till 4V RMS. Later you can use trial & error until things will look better. Of course, switching between Java and ASIO (or ASIO4ALL) drivers could help in REW, but in ARTA you can try ASIO, ASAIO4ALL or WASAPI or default Windows driver as well.

hestejoe

Are there any meassurements relating to whether the third-gen has a better headphone output?

hestejoe

Thank you for your response, I also found this table:
1634294302213.png

Source

If I have the HD 560S @ 120 ohms and Sound pressure level (SPL) 110 dB (1 kHz / 1 V RMS) they should need 10 mW if I am correctly using https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/

Does that mean that anything that has +10 mW on the 150-ohm row should be more than sufficient in my case when it comes to power?

I may be misunderstanding something here because according to the Headphone Power Calculator you should want at least 16 mW @ 32ohm to power the HD650. The Gen2 offers 20 mW, but Amir still complained that it is relatively weak.

Sorry if this is slightly off topic.

telecode101

I have a 3rd gen. I am very happy with the headphone output. Great interface. Miles better than the old NI Komplete Audio 6 I used to use. Great drivers.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
crappy fostex studio headphones.
Yeah, I tried the headphone out on the 2i2 with my HiFiMan HE400i's and it didn't go well. So I use my 2i2 as a DAC for my desk speaker system and as an ADC for recording vinyl, but I stick with my Sabaj D5 for headphone listening.

MCH

Major Contributor
hello,
i am thinking on getting a 2i2 3rd or maybe even 2nd gen. But i really need to do stereo passthrough, that is, i plug unbalanced line level R and L to the line inputs, i get the digital signal out of the USB + unbalanced stereo line signal from the line outputs.
Seems easy, but being newbie and after reading the discussion in pages 6 and 7 I am a bit confused.... Can someone confirm that my intended use is possible? (remember, all unbalanced and simultaneous)
Thanks!

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
You should be able to connect TS unblanced inputs on Line-In and then listen to your Line-Out monitors without issues, even if you're using TS instead of TRS plugs. The idea about getting a TRS-to-TS adapter is to not put much "pressure" on the Scarlett's output buffer, but given that Focusrite recommends this kind of connectivity then you shouldn't be worried about.

Reactions: MCH
Top Bottom