• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focus - new active Dynaudio speakers

aschen

dynaudio has always been expensive, the actives even more so, and the dirac license is a small part of it I guess.

They have also always been extraordinarily well built and high quality in my experience. I am sure these will be "assembled" in denmark, likely with denmark built drivers, they may or may not build the cabinets in latvia and I have no idea on the electronics.

Not really definding the price but I have had my contours since the 90s, they still look and sound great, and I believe dynaudio will still have spare parts and support if I call them.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
dynaudio has always been expensive, the actives even more so, and the dirac license is a small part of it I guess.

They have also always been extraordinarily well built and high quality in my experience. I am sure these will be "assembled" in denmark, likely with denmark built drivers, they may or may not build the cabinets in latvia and I have no idea on the electronics.

Not really definding the price but I have had my contours since the 90s, they still look and sound great, and I believe dynaudio will still have spare parts and support if I call them.

They seem to weirdly price some things, they have active versions of some of their speakers sold as monitors in the LYD series that are cheaper than the passive versions sold to the hifi market.

simple_guy

They claim 43Hz -3dB, which I find a little hard to believe on any kind of proper SPL.

Even a MISCO BWX-6502 with a wopping 10mm xmax, does about 90-94dB maxSPL (corrected for bafflestep).
A Purifi is similar (Vd=xmax*Sd), although bit more efficient.
So I guess it's just about doable. A single 6-6,5inch for that low is always a bit meh output wise.

Looking at the screw pattern it seems they use Pascal, it ain't Hypex, that's for sure.
Probably the Pascal U-PRO2, since it has the same output power as well.

sweetmusic

After a little reflection... I feel like Dynaudio has got basically the ideal feature set here. If anything, they're a little ahead of the industry. Not many TVs support WiSa yet, but once enough do, there's really no need for a streaming box to plug cables into for most people. Vinyl and CDs and network storage have all become niche. Video game consoles route through the TV.

If they were Apple, they'd remove all of the inputs on the back of the speaker and have only a power cord. Everything else would be wireless.

I'd like to see more active speakers with this same feature set and range of form factors as the Focus. As it is, I feel like, personally, I'm likely to be using passives and an integrated for just a little longer. The industry is almost there. It's so close.

Very interesting... I really want Dynaudio to succeed. They've been ahead of most of other Hi-Fi manufacturers in terms of usability and comfort (easy setup), but lacking in sound quality compared to likes of Genelec, Neumann and other similar brands, because of their outdated design (albeit it's still pretty good on-axis).

I hoped to see some sort of advanced waveguides in their newest designs. But their DSP capabilities seem to be the most advanced in the market currently, and this is amazing.

I hope Amir or Erin will review them soon enough, and I hope the results will be very, very good.

oversky

Release is for EMEA. For US it is "later in the year" so it will be a while before we get it on this side of the pond. Might be supply chain issue and parts availability.

Prices are sure up there for Focus 10.

I am interested in the WiSA technology(Wireless connection).
Please test how this technology performance if you get a sample.
Thanks.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am interested in the WiSA technology(Wireless connection).
Please test how this technology performance if you get a sample.
We should probably test it in stand-alone mode. Are there cheap adapters for it (have not looked).

aschen

Very interesting... I really want Dynaudio to succeed. They've been ahead of most of other Hi-Fi manufacturers in terms of usability and comfort (easy setup), but lacking in sound quality compared to likes of Genelec, Neumann and other similar brands, because of their outdated design (albeit it's still pretty good on-axis).

I hoped to see some sort of advanced waveguides in their newest designs. But their DSP capabilities seem to be the most advanced in the market currently, and this is amazing.

I hope Amir or Erin will review them soon enough, and I hope the results will be very, very good.

I think they were competitive plus in the pre "harmanization" speaker domain. They are obviously not afraid of science with their fancy/giant Jupiter setup. I would love to hear from someone skilled in the art the advantages and disadvantages of Jupiter vs kippel. I think speed of measurement is a big thing since they have so many simultaneous measurements.

The waveguides on their newest confidence lines are pretty fancy, they could certainly include something similar in their more pedestrian lines if they wanted.

Dynaudio is probably not state of the art anymore, but they always sound great to me. I haven't listened to the current generation of SOTA speakers, but from the last get confidence C4s were as good as it got for me (and bought a pair).

sweetmusic

We should probably test it in stand-alone mode. Are there cheap adapters for it (have not looked).
Yes. Eg, Platin makes a transmitter for $179 that converts HDMI or optical to WiSa. There are others. I haven't tested any of them though.

I am definitely not an expert, but my hunch is that it really shouldn't make any difference, unless there's signal unreliability. I would hope any input is reclocked the same from any digital source, WiSa or otherwise, so jitter shouldn't differ. Ie, testing from the optical in should yield the same results.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am definitely not an expert, but my hunch is that it really shouldn't make any difference, unless there's signal unreliability.
There have been both lossy and lossless wireless RF schemes. So we need to check for this.

ThELiZ

To me, this is a more useful speaker than the new KEF LS60… The Dirac Live addition swings it massively into Dynaudio’s direction… However, shame I can afford neither!

Hopefully these speaker types are the way forward with built in correction and the prices start to come down.

tktran303

Forum Donor
Gee. About time.

Some of us have had to build our own speakers, to get what we want- multiway speakers with DSP and per driver amplification, Hypex class D, and Dirac Live, for almost a decade.

Can someone release a commercial product that can auto-EQ in the room like Syng and also tell how far away I’m siting, and adjust the EQ depending on how loud I’m listening? You know, Fletcher Munson style. And auto detect when I’m sitting or standing, or whether there’s a single listener, a few on the couch or a group of in the listeners like a small home theatres; and EQ appropriately like Dirac Live does.

Whilst you’re there: detect if I’m watching a video at the same time; you know? So you can run IIR filters this without visible audio delay/lip sync issues. or pure music; and engage the FIR filters?

I want the full 8 speed auto with mid engine V8 like the C8, or full EV drive like the C9. I don’t want to buy a new car with a 3 speed auto …

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I have not seen any cheap ones lately. Sharp used to offer them.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I must be one of the few members here that aren’t thrilled about active speakers. I don’t doubt some of the claimed advantages of actives, but they have two big disadvantages to me - the warranty on their electronic components is too short and if something fails, your whole system is dead until fixed. With separates, if my amp fails, I can always secure an inexpensive replacement for temporary use. Same for the other components.
OTOH I have had Audioengine A5s since 2006 or 2007 that I have used in some temporary dwellings and have always been used somewhere, sometimes hard. They haven't ever failed. I know one singular case doesn't make a universal rule... but in the meantime I have had several single use electronics that failed at some point or the other, including very highly recommended brands...

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To me, this is a more useful speaker than the new KEF LS60… The Dirac Live addition swings it massively into Dynaudio’s direction… However, shame I can afford neither!

Hopefully these speaker types are the way forward with built in correction and the prices start to come down.
The LS60 also come with room correction - two modes, easy and advanced. In my experience, in a good room (and with freedom to position optimally), room correction makes just a small difference anyhow (but I like it, small improvements are honestly all we can hope for at some point!). Clearly you can't go wrong with either this or the LS60, but I think the UniQ are just a tad more resolving, but I say that without having heard the LS60 and based on a previous gen of the famous Esotar tweeter.

It seems vendors are throwing top-notch components at these solutions, so to me the price seems fair given the stack they replace. For a while now, I have thought active speakers are the end game (Kii!!!).

groovybassist

Forum Donor
OTOH I have had Audioengine A5s since 2006 or 2007 that I have used in some temporary dwellings and have always been used somewhere, sometimes hard. They haven't ever failed. I know one singular case doesn't make a universal rule... but in the meantime I have had several single use electronics that failed at some point or the other, including very highly recommended brands...
Point taken. We have some older Audioengine 2’s that have been used on and off for many years, with no hiccups. Having said that, they aren’t the main system, so concern regarding their failure is minimal to me.

tktran303

Forum Donor
Really? Oh finally.

I’ve been hanging out for WISA for almost a decade…

Ok so all speakers the speakers needs a power cable.

But the modern lipo battey that can power my lawn mower for an whole hour, or my Roomba for 2; we that should be able to should be able to bolster onto the back of any rear/effects speaker and play for a few (or 8 movies)

Let’s go! Welcome to the future!

Top Bottom