• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal's Jot THX 789 contender

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Eurasian

Forum Donor
Maybe this is a translation issue, but WTH does this mean?

This amplifier lets you tweak the voicing with a twist of a rotary potentiometer. A “Voltage” mode drops output impedance to 0.1 ohm, which the company says benefits dynamics. Meanwhile, “Hybrid” mode ups the output impedance. I honestly can’t understand exactly what the press release is trying to say here, but here is the text verbatim: “A pure current amplifier is available in the “Amplifier” section under the designation “Voltage”. This mode provides an output impedance of just 0.1 Ohm, which results in major listening dynamics. The second “Hybrid” integrated amplifier is similar to a power amplifier as it benefits from a higher output impedance. Here, the tonal balance slightly favors the bass, midrange and extreme treble registers. By housing these two amplifiers within a single electronic component, every user gets amplification to suit their headphones and their favorite tonal balance.” – Focal
What’s more, built-in presets for folk album headphones let you enjoy holistic optimized sound.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Seems like they just putting a resistor inline which then works to modify the frequency response of the headphone. Depending on the headphone, this may be a good thing, or bad. I tend to not want such a "feature." If any modification is needed, do it in DSP in the player.

The Mule

I don't really see this as competition to the THX AAA 789, especially not at $2500.

Plus, me personally, if I'm going to spend that kind of coin for an amp and DAC combo, I'd rather get separate boxes, because then you can specifically choose what DAC you want, separate from any included weaknesses in the amp, and vice versa.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Focal states this:
presets for every set of Focal High-Fidelity headphones

I think it means they apply (digital) EQ for each of their models.
It can also be updated by USB so they can add (or change) EQ settings.

The text seems to point in the direction one can set the output R from 0.1 Ohm to a higher (unspecified) value.

I don't think it's a THX contender either. It is primarily a DAC/Amp combo that can be used as a stand alone DAC and stand alone amp as well.
It seems to be built by micromega (another French brand)

Last edited:
Top Bottom