• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Utopia Review (Headphone)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On the question of spatial qualities, this is *hugely* dependent on content. I have collected a library of content for headphone testing which shows this effect.
Mind to share the track list?

Maki

Definitely this.

The peaks and troughs are much more likely to be shifted in frequency and magnitude on different heads and rigs rather than simply disappear leaving a smooth response.
Worse yet they seem to shift with position on my head. Have to get them in exactly the right place each time for my EQ to sound right.

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
On the question of spatial qualities, this is *hugely* dependent on content. I have collected a library of content for headphone testing which shows this effect. Without it, it is easy to conclude that there is no such thing.

Also, frequency response in 1 to 3 kHz is a large determinant of this effect. Take any headphone you have and boost this region and listen for spatial qualities. Likely you hear the effect (ignore the tonality difference -- just listen for externalization of the sound).
Hello Amir, can you share your list?

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
On the question of spatial qualities, this is *hugely* dependent on content. I have collected a library of content for headphone testing which shows this effect.

Hi Amir, I’m always interested in tracks that show different spatial qualities (they often sound spectacular on BACCH). I wonder if you could somehow share a list of the ones you have?

Maiky76

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF).
  • The range above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo the boosts and preamp gain need to be carefully considered to avoid issues

Good L/R match.
I have generated Two EQ, the APO config files are attached.

Score 1 plain Harman target curve:
Code:
Focal Utopia APO EQ Score 1 96000Hz
April062021-104623

Preamp: -5.9 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 30.5 Hz Gain 5.87 dB Q 0.67
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 198 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 1.09
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1264 Hz Gain -3.85 dB Q 1.91
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1993 Hz Gain 3.67 dB Q 4.25
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2737 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 3.89
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 4005 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 6.11
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 5914 Hz Gain -7.08 dB Q 6.5
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 7794 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 6.25
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 8911 Hz Gain 5.68 dB Q 0.52
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 11520 Hz Gain -8.38 dB Q 6.5

Score no EQ: 69.7
Score Armirm: 74.1
Score with EQ Score 1: 91.6
Focal Utopia Dashboard Score 1.png

The second score is based on a modified Curve (-1.5db @HF) which is within the expected taste variation and looks closer to the initial tuning (higher initial score and proportionally lower final score)

Score no EQ: 78.6
Score with EQ Score 2: 93.4

Code:
Focal Utopia APO EQ Score 2 96000Hz
April062021-105103

Preamp: -5.8 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 31.3 Hz Gain 5.87 dB Q 0.67
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 202 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 1.09
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1266 Hz Gain -4.85 dB Q 1.91
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1994 Hz Gain 3.17 dB Q 4.25
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2799 Hz Gain -2.58 dB Q 4.89
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 4005 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 6.36
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 5943 Hz Gain -6.08 dB Q 6.5
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 8001 Hz Gain -2.5 dB Q 6.24
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 9264 Hz Gain 5.75 dB Q 1.16
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 11517 Hz Gain -9.38 dB Q 6.5

Focal Utopia Dashboard Score 2.png

Attachments

• Focal Utopia APO EQ Score 2 96000Hz.txt
    542 bytes · Views: 105
  • Focal Utopia APO EQ Score 1 96000Hz.txt
    539 bytes · Views: 95
Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Other than Yamaha in the 70s, it was pretty much obscure outside of Paradigm and JM Lab speakers for many years. I think the Beryllium hype really started with the release of the Revel Salon 2 in 2008. Once Harman International's marketing machine got behind it, it became the new "It" thing, which started the beryllium arms race, everybody and their mother jumped on it, spawning a bunch of "me-too" beryllium flagships culminating with TADs ultra expensive Reference line.

Your timeline’s a bit off and misses the big development. TAD has been using Be for a while - longer than they have been a consumer brand, on compression drivers - but with a time consuming and likely super toxic process. As I understand it, they would vapor deposit Be on a copper form, then use some process to remove the copper.

The big development was from Brush Weller/Materion, who developed a Be foil that could be much more easily used for loudspeaker diaphragms. I expect all non-TAD Be drivers use that foil.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Im sure it can be modified via software but its also inherent in some music through some headphones with some people. The mix and extent I am sure varies. It cant be only software related if one perceives spatial/ soundstage properties without software involvement.
That software did not "invent" this effect but is merely (re)producing it. Nonetheless, it's interesting, we already have 7.1.4 simulations available, which probably can beat many a couchsurfer's surround set XP-EXT1 | EXOFIELD THEATER|Heimkino Sound System | JVC

respice finem

Major Contributor
What I don't get is why are there still hashy narrowband spikes and dips from 1-kHz in a modern flagship when even the HD650 barely has any. Probably not very audible but questions have to be asked about the engineering.
Interestingly, many open-back headphones also have those spikes and dips, so they don't seem to be a product of earcup reflexions/resonances, at least not always. I'm wondering if the fullrange drivers are the culprit. Even more so looking at the "jaggy" treble in almost all if not all of them. There is a reason we don't have fullrange loudspeaker drivers (at least in Hi-Fi). Then again, implementing a crossover and coaxial dual drivers in a headphone would certainly bring its own problems. Nothing is ever perfect...

Last edited:

respice finem

Major Contributor
Even more so, considering that a flawless headphone seemingly doesn't exist, regardless of price - if only the k371 was made better.
Or, keep whatever you already have and EQ it.

Pirx

Thanks for that review, I know how Focal Utopia sounds, and I'm surprised that anybody can complain for an amount of bass there.
For me it is good enough with extreme clarity that even Stax SR-009 cannot provide in this area.
I also love the precision in stereo image - no idea what ppl expect from headphones and sound stage - anything bigger is just fake, kind of artificial creation of HP - that is my opinion ofc :)
The only tyhing that botter me is their weight - they provide extreme comfort, but I do not mind reducing the weight.

I see that your measurements are very similar results to these: https://headphonetestlab.co.uk/test-results-manufacturers-e-h-focal-utopia

Attachments

• FU.PNG
    FU.PNG
    65.5 KB · Views: 143
  • fuasc.PNG
    fuasc.PNG
    81 KB · Views: 117

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rather prefer to download the software for free plus s K371 for 130$ than paying 1,600$.

The software is free.

The speakers and room you need to make a personal calibration sure aren't. :rolleyes:

SimoF

how much better than our "poor old lame" Elear?
I have never listened to the Elear. But, if It can be helpful I find the Utopia to be a noticeable upgrade over the Clear (which should be a step up over the Elear)

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
4K for headphones is of course pretty crazy. But whatever...if someone has the money and that's what they want to do with it so be it I guess. However, I think it's great that there's good information out there like this review that presents an honest picture of what you're actually getting in terms of sound and that you can very definitely get that SQ at a much much MUCH lower price point. There's a lot of people who fall into the trap of reading/watching the glowing, magical reviews and reading the forum threads and deciding they need to get to this level to really hear the music, and some of them definitely don't have the money in pocket to blow 4 grand on a set of cans. Anyone who's financial situation is such that a few thousand dollars actually means something to them better not be spending it on headphones like this.

Top Bottom