• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Utopia Review (Headphone)

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Utopia is a luxury product, just like a Ferrari, Rolex watch or Hermes tie. Is the Corvette, Omega watch or Ferragamo tie a better value? Probably. But even putting this aside, a handful of measurements and graphs, even those done very masterfully by Amir, will only tell part of the story on any acoustic transducer, whether it’s a speaker or headphone. Acoustics and psychoacoustics are more complicated than electronics. So you have to measure and listen, and there is much more involved than equalizing to a target curve.
That says it all, nice that you admit it. The Utopia is bling, for which a lot of money is asked, other headphones really offer something special for their price, for example the HD 800 a huge soundstage for not a half the money or the Dan Clark Audio Expanse or Stealth excellent adherence to the Harman target and deep bass, thus no need to use EQ, for the same money. But some people seem to prefer bling.

Garrincha

Seems like you wanted us to pat you at back and tell that your HD800 is same or just as good as Utopia, obviously you got upset when it did not go that way and you want evidence or we spread lies.

I owned HD800 for 3 years as main headphone in days back, it's great but with certain music in can come as thinner or distant sounding and thats just character it has. You have made up your mind, so this discussion has run its course.
Nice try as a psychologist now. I actually really wanted to know if the Utopia has to offer anything special for this exorbitant price and all I got were no very credible claims. So I better will not ask again, which is a pitty, as I have learned already quite a lot from ASR, alas not in this thread.

PGAMiami

On to more productive topics for those of us that are interested in the Utopia, has anyone compared the originals to the new ones? It seems they may have addressed some of the issues with resonance. I suspect it may take some time before Amir gets his hands on the new ones.

staticV3

Master Contributor
has anyone compared the originals to the new ones? It seems they may have addressed some of the issues with resonance.
Jude from head-fi has measured both on a B&K 5128:
Screenshot_20220922-122825_YouTube.png

oleg87

Has anyone damaged their Focals with this driver bottoming issue, or is it just an irritant? I remember reading about driver failures with their Drop collab headphone but not sure if that's related or some other QC issue. I've been hesitant to turn up subbass-heavy electronic tracks and the like too much lest I run into it, but don't know if I'm being needlessly paranoid.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 240023

Subjectively the Utopia doesn't sound that tonally wonky in the mids to lower treble response contrary to the FR. Still, it's unacceptable compared to my Dan Clark Aeon X Open filterless which is textbook Harman with -3 dB less bass shelf than the Harman bass curve (I prefer this flat frequency bass that's similar to perceived bass shelf from uneq'ed Utopia bass than the Harman bass shelf). BTW, Aeon X Open is still THE MOST TONALLY CORRECT headphone EVER out of the box followed by Stealth, Aeon Noires then Expanse. Aeon X Open technicalities such as details, imaging, soundstage etc. are ON PAR with Utopia and Susvara as well for 1/10th their price

Capture.JPG

I assume the new heavy dip above 10kHz is to increase the punch?

Dan Clark employs the same dip as to increase the punch to equal or better than any Focal headphones as well

Blorg

Has anyone damaged their Focals with this driver bottoming issue, or is it just an irritant? I remember reading about driver failures with their Drop collab headphone but not sure if that's related or some other QC issue. I've been hesitant to turn up subbass-heavy electronic tracks and the like too much lest I run into it, but don't know if I'm being needlessly paranoid.
The clipping is very evident when it happens, it's not something you'd miss. I know pretty exactly where it happens on both my Clear and Utopia from specifically going checking for it, and I know that level is well above the level I listen at, even with heavy sub-bass tracks and even with full Harman sub-bass EQ.

It's certainly the sort of thing that if you do hear it, I'd turn down the volume immediately. But it's not the sort of thing that could be subtly happening in the background doing damage that you don't notice, it's very obvious.

As to whether it is a direct cause of the driver failures, I don't know. But driver failures do not seem uncommon, and it's not just the Drop collabs, they seem common on the Utopia as well. I got my Utopia second hand, but in basically brand new condition- it was a replacement for one that suffered driver failure. I got my Clear second hand as well, and it was the same, it was also a replacement after driver failure.

The older model headphones seem worse for this, this is what Focal said about it regarding the Utopia, they admitted they had a specific issue but claim to have fixed it. I think it's least apparent in the newer models, I think they changed something with the voice coil in the Clear which reduced it and my subjective impression from reports, the Clear MG seems to be even less reports of it again.

Regarding defective Utopia drivers, as already mentioned in the first pages of this thread, we experienced a voice coil fragility during early production batches. Not all headphones from these batches were affected. This problem which caused some drivers fragility has been identified, analyzed and fixed. We managed to take on defective headphones returns, but some units could be left on the market.
As this issue is identified by our Team, we have informed our distribution network and they know how to proceed in case of defective drivers. Indeed, all defective headphones under warranty (according to local warranty policies) will be repaired free of charge by the Focal Team (the driver will be replaced). Which is why we strongly recommend you to contact your local dealer (specifying the serial number of your product and attaching the invoice) if you are experiencing any issue with your headphones to ensure After Sales Service. Please note that the serial number and the invoice are compulsory to track your headphones.
The official warranty of Utopia, Clear and Elear headphones is 2 years by default. There are then specific cases in some countries for potential extension, please contact the local distributor to know the local warranty policy.
In conclusion, we are aware of this situation and will do our best to fix all defective headphones. Be sure we have reinforced our quality controls.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-utopia-general-discussion.811273/page-590#post-14515753

I get the impression the Drop collabs like the Elex were worse again, but this was an issue with the Utopia too.

Luke Lemke

The clipping is very evident when it happens, it's not something you'd miss. I know pretty exactly where it happens on both my Clear and Utopia from specifically going checking for it, and I know that level is well above the level I listen at, even with heavy sub-bass tracks and even with full Harman sub-bass EQ.

It's certainly the sort of thing that if you do hear it, I'd turn down the volume immediately. But it's not the sort of thing that could be subtly happening in the background doing damage that you don't notice, it's very obvious.

As to whether it is a direct cause of the driver failures, I don't know. But driver failures do not seem uncommon, and it's not just the Drop collabs, they seem common on the Utopia as well. I got my Utopia second hand, but in basically brand new condition- it was a replacement for one that suffered driver failure. I got my Clear second hand as well, and it was the same, it was also a replacement after driver failure.

The older model headphones seem worse for this, this is what Focal said about it regarding the Utopia, they admitted they had a specific issue but claim to have fixed it. I think it's least apparent in the newer models, I think they changed something with the voice coil in the Clear which reduced it and my subjective impression from reports, the Clear MG seems to be even less reports of it again.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-utopia-general-discussion.811273/page-590#post-14515753

I get the impression the Drop collabs like the Elex were worse again, but this was an issue with the Utopia too.
Both my Focal Clear MG and the Focal Clear OG clips. As you said, it only happens at very high volumes, so it's not really a concern for me. If anyone wants to hear them clipping, listen to Paul's Dream from Hans Zimmer + a low shelf EQ of about +7db.

DEF

Subjectively the Utopia doesn't sound that tonally wonky in the mids to lower treble response contrary to the FR. Still, it's unacceptable compared to my Dan Clark Aeon X Open filterless which is textbook Harman with -3 dB less bass shelf than the Harman bass curve (I prefer this flat frequency bass that's similar to perceived bass shelf from uneq'ed Utopia bass than the Harman bass shelf). BTW, Aeon X Open is still THE MOST TONALLY CORRECT headphone EVER out of the box followed by Stealth, Aeon Noires then Expanse. Aeon X Open technicalities such as details, imaging, soundstage etc. are ON PAR with Utopia and Susvara as well for 1/10th their price

View attachment 240025

Dan Clark employs the same dip as to increase the punch to equal or better than any Focal headphones as well
When you say, followed, do you rank the DCA X Open over the DCA Stealth?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Do any electroacoustics-minded folks know what the exceptionally high-excursion driver in the Focal is supposed to get you/what the tradeoffs there are?

It is to create a really low resonance frequency and get good bass extension.
Focal merely created a nice story around it. It basically is a metal dome tweeter with a very supple surround so a higher excursion is possible which is needed for lower frequencies.

Garrincha

Interesting that we are expected to respect you as an authority here. Where can we find your reference material on all the adjectives you've defined in audio?
This guy knows nothing, he even talks about DAC sound and the like, pathetic.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Audio and science is a passionate hobby, magic and science, belief and facts rarely go well together.
Lets all make an effort and keep it about the gear not the person.

PGAMiami

View attachment 240023
I agree, but still do not like to be offended, especially by a total noob.
You run around telling people they are dumb when they disagree with you, but then when someone dishes it to you, you lash out.

What is absurd is for someone that hasn’t even heard the Utopia to have such strong opinions on them, all tilted to convincing us that we should have bought HD800s like you.

Your arguments all are centered on saying that if with EQ you can match the FR and the distortion is low, then the headphones should sound the same. That is totally ridiculous not just for headphones but also for speakers. These are devices that are interacting with your ear or your room, and things then get much more complicated as the FR measurements may not be reliable vis a vis what each listener is experiencing.

BTW, all DACs don’t sound the same. And the improvements over the last 40 years have been tremendous ever since Sony and Phillips promised perfect sound forever since CDs had huge S/N, no flutter and 20 to 20k FR. Much was learned along the way on which measurements were most relevant, and to think that today we know it all seems naive.

When you write things like impulse response correlates to punch, or that we should expect HD800s to have more punch because they have bigger drivers, what comes through is that your understanding is superficial. But I did not come back telling you you’re an idiot, like you do in many posts.

My view is those that feel everything can be explained with a few measurements are as misguided as those spending thousands on cables. But I don’t run around telling either of them they are pathetic noobs.

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you say, followed, do you rank the DCA X Open over the DCA Stealth?

Tonally yes due to Harman curve having slightly more bass shelf than my preferences, DCA Aeon X Open hits this spot perfectly (I never EQ my headphones). For those who are used to Harman curve, they'll find the Aeon X Open filterless as "neutral bright". Technicalities such as depth, imaging, soundstage, details, controversial punch, slam, black background for schiits and giggles = 99% of Stealth and 99% of Expanse, and 100% of Focal Utopia's technicalities

PS From this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...k-expanse-headphone-review.37332/post-1361724

This is 100% of my interpretation. The Expanse has a lot of depth this is especially noticeable in games, which is close to, but not quite a Hifiman Arya in terms of depth. The sound of the Expanse has more of a "Hall effect" where as the Stealth has space/stage when it's called for but not as forced. As far as directional accuracy they're both really close and I didn't notice much of a difference in overall room presence besides depth.

HOWEVER The overall sound doesn't sound as clean/tight as the Stealth. Look at it this way you the Expanse trades some (not much) accuracy for more bass and sound stage depth vs Stealth. That's the best way to describe it imo. The Expanse also rumbles/vibrates more on your ears because of the stronger bass. I think what gets me is hearing the sub/mid bass increase in things it shouldn't be in, but songs where it should it edges out the Stealth.

Short version Stealth = tight/accuracy, Expanse = hall effect depth/more bass, slightly less accuracy.

This is where you decide which headphone is right for you.

Keep in mind I'm referring to technicalities at this point: In relation to Stealth and Expanse, DCA Aeon X open and to some extent Focal Utopia, Both have depth that's closer to Expanse than Stealth (Concert Hall perception) though Stealth is considered to be more accurate depth when it comes to gaming applications IMHO. Aeon X Open slightly has less bass than both Expanse and Stealth and more aligned with Utopia, but all headphones mentioned will "vibrate/rumbles" on ears when tracks like Bjork's Vulnicura's album are played at high SPL

Last edited:

DEF

Tonally yes due to Harman curve having slightly more bass shelf than my preferences, DCA Aeon X Open hits this spot perfectly (I never EQ my headphones). For those who are used to Harman curve, they'll find the Aeon X Open filterless as "neutral bright". Technicalities such as depth, imaging, soundstage, details, controversial punch, slam, black background for schiits and giggles = 99% of Stealth and 99% of Expanse, and 100% of Focal Utopia's technicalities

PS From this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...k-expanse-headphone-review.37332/post-1361724

Keep in mind I'm referring to technicalities at this point: In relation to Stealth and Expanse, DCA Aeon X open and to some extent Focal Utopia, Both have depth that's closer to Expanse than Stealth (Concert Hall perception) though Stealth is considered to be more accurate depth when it comes to gaming applications IMHO. Aeon X Open slightly has less bass than both Expanse and Stealth and more aligned with Utopia, but all headphones mentioned will "vibrate/rumbles" on ears when tracks like Bjork's Vulnicura's album are played at high SPL
the DCA AEON X are not even available at regular sellers like thomann. By the way. Had the https://www.thomann.de/gb/dan_clark_audio_ether_2_open_back.htm and I lacked lower bass extension. Paired with RME ADI DAC FS. No matter how much I did equalize. The 2020 Utopia at that time just outperformed them and it was more 'fun' listening to.
Since the AEON X are not available, I guess it would be natural to try either Stealth or Expanse.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the DCA AEON X are not even available at regular sellers like thomann. By the way. Had the https://www.thomann.de/gb/dan_clark_audio_ether_2_open_back.htm and I lacked lower bass extension. Paired with RME ADI DAC FS. No matter how much I did equalize. The 2020 Utopia at that time just outperformed them and it was more 'fun' listening to.
Since the AEON X are not available, I guess it would be natural to try either Stealth or Expanse.

Aeon 2 open is tonally wonky headphone with bloated mid-bass and subdued treble from how I heard it a few months ago. Drop collab did a really good job tuning the Aeon X Open to have that neutral to slightly bright signature. Maybe look at Classifieds on any audio market if one ever pops up

Top Bottom