• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Utopia Review (Headphone)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No I have no details.. I just watched some reviews.. looks more like a design and material improvement and maybe this affect the sound? (Drivers are the same as far as I understand) But the price here in german shops is at 5000€ o_O (1000€ more than the “old” version)

Here is a pretty detail review from moon-audio:
I didn't watch the review, but your description is enough! Madness!

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Excellent quality control as always. Look at the upside down Utopia text, these should be called Dystopia.
BFF0EEEA-79A6-4E4B-9E48-C0F4B153EAB2.jpeg

FullBright1

They said they improved the sound at that link you gave. Do you know what they changed in the frequency response or elsewhere? They didn't seem to say, although I only gave it a quick skim.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So that article is insuating that Focal have said they've increased the bass, and "linearized" the treble, and potentially improved the spatial qualities of the headphone. Hmm, ok, well it would be interesting to have it measured....I'm not sure how accurate the article is in it's claims of what the differences are compared to the original as the when I skimmed the Focal website I couldn't really see any specific claims (but I might have missed them, I did skim it!).

Increasing the bass and "linearizing" the treble would be beneficial though, if they mean removing the peaks & dips in the treble vs Harman Curve when they talk about "linearizing" - given the folllowing current frequency response of the original Focal reviewed in this thread:
index.php

FullBright1

So that article is insuating that Focal have said they've increased the bass, and "linearized" the treble, and potentially improved the spatial qualities of the headphone. Hmm, ok, well it would be interesting to have it measured....I'm not sure how accurate the article is in it's claims of what the differences are compared to the original as the when I skimmed the Focal website I couldn't really see any specific claims (but I might have missed them, I did skim it!).

Increasing the bass and "linearizing" the treble would be beneficial though, if they mean removing the peaks & dips in the treble vs Harman Curve when they talk about "linearizing" - given the folllowing current frequency response of the original Focal reviewed in this thread:
-
-

Leiker535

index.php
No need to speculate, Head-fi already measured it:

1663455864523.png

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
-
-
Yep, that supports the other review you linked that they've changed the design. Everything there is pointing towards their intention to reduce the treble peaks and increase the bass - sounds like they've tried to get it closer to the Harman Curve whilst removing harsh peaks in the treble. Of course there's no frequency response graphs that have been shown to prove this, but they have insinuated that in their reviews through their interviews with the company. It does seem like it's quite different headphone.....worthy of a review if someone sends it to @amirm

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No need to speculate, Head-fi already measured it:

View attachment 231622
In truth they both look a bit peaky still in the treble albeit with different overall tonalities even though I appreciate that they're not being measured on a GRAS device there. (I don't know what is meant by "Preliminary" as I'm assuming Focal Utopia is the original and Focal Utopia 2022 is the updated version).

Leiker535

In truth they both look a bit peaky still in the treble albeit with different overall tonalities even though I appreciate that they're not being measured on a GRAS device there. (I don't know what is meant by "Preliminary" as I'm assuming Focal Utopia is the original and Focal Utopia 2022 is the updated version).
I think the 6khz peak we see in a lot of those TOTL headphones is somewhat the cause of the "holographic" spatial effects that are given to them. Overall I think they went the same way of the Clear MG: focal 1-2khz "presence" followed by a general sloping downwards pinna gain with some sparkle from peaks here and there.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the 2020 Utopia and given how much I spent on it, I was about to get ticked off that Focal refreshed this item so soon after I purchased it.

But then I looked at the new design, which seems like a downgrade to me aesthetically. Focal claims to have opened up the grille to increase the soundstage, but I like the intimate imaging and instrument placement in the one I have. They claim to have improved the bass tuning, but with Stella pads my 2020s get all the bass I need. They claim to have rebuilt the voice coil to improve reliability, but my voice coil is still going strong.

They’ve also raised the price by almost a grand. Where is all that cash going to in this “improved” model? My suspicion is that the price is strategically, not materially derived to align with the Susvaras, to give folks the impression that this refresh is repositioning the Utopia as the “ultimate” TOTL over the ear headphone—the reputation it enjoyed (right or wrong) before the Susvara, Meze Elites and Dan Clark Stealths treaded into their waters.

I can’t fathom why anyone would consider trading in their 2020 model in favor of this marginal revision with an anything BUT marginal price increase. If I buy another headphone it would be one that could complement my 2020s by offering something new—a planar option such as the Elites, or a closed back such as the Stealths. These are not friendly price points to justify some minor tweaks.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the 6khz peak we see in a lot of those TOTL headphones is somewhat the cause of the "holographic" spatial effects that are given to them. Overall I think they went the same way of the Clear MG: focal 1-2khz "presence" followed by a general sloping downwards pinna gain with some sparkle from peaks here and there.
I wouldn't be so generous to explain peaky treble as "holographic spatial effects" - in my experience the best soundstage headphones are related to the physical design: angled pads or angled drivers and spacious earcups that ensure your ears don't touch any part of the headphone (or minimise the contact). In my experience I'd say it's better to have a smooth treble and a good soundstage physical headphone design. I'd expect personal HRTF's that would emulate "speakers in a room" to have various peaks & dips in places that are different to the Harman Curve, but I don't really buy random peakiness in various headphone designs as being somehow able to luckily emulate your own HRTF's. That's how I see it.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on my distressing experiences on Head-Fi and the general sycophancy towards industry folks over there, I’m not sure how much I would be able to trust any “measurements” being posted over there. Every one of their threads created to “discuss” a specific product seems to be bursting at the seams with effusive praise and sciency claims about its capabilities.

I wish more brands would post their own measurements, which to me would be more interesting to contrast with Amir’s assessments on here!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on my distressing experiences on Head-Fi and the general sycophancy towards industry folks over there, I’m not sure how much I would be able to trust any “measurements” being posted over there. Every one of their threads created to “discuss” a specific product seems to be bursting at the seams with effusive praise and sciency claims about its capabilities.

I wish more brands would post their own measurements, which to me would be more interesting to contrast with Amir’s assessments on here!
Fair enough, I guess, as I'm not really familiar with Head-Fi, spent probably about 30mins in total on there and don't have an account there. However, even if you think their latest measurements for the new Utopia are unreliable or untrustworthy, I don't really see those measurements as being a positive anyway - the treble is still erratic......so if those measurements have been "doctored" in any way then the result is still shabby, lol!

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fair enough, I guess, as I'm not really familiar with Head-Fi, spent probably about 30mins in total on there and don't have an account there. However, even if you think their latest measurements for the new Utopia are unreliable or untrustworthy, I don't really see those measurements as being a positive anyway - the treble is still erratic......so if those measurements have been "doctored" in any way then the result is still shabby, lol!
I already own the 2020 model, so I’m happy to cherry pick any evidence suggesting that these new ones completely suck.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I already own the 2020 model, so I’m happy to cherry pick any evidence suggesting that these new ones completely suck.
Ha! ;)

RustyGates

Had a listen to the 2022 model last weekend; definitely a more pleasurable listen than the original which I own, does have more impact and slam at the lower ends, tamed treble and overall, more resolute and smoother (probably lower THD). Soundstage has definitely increased, imaging surgically precise as usual. IMO better aesthetics and the build feels better. I wouldn't stretch the wallet just to upgrade though.

Last edited:

Luke Lemke

After EQ, significantly different to the Clear? Or similar sounding but none of the driver issues?

Put another way, should a cash rich Clear fan think about these? Or not enough difference to bother?
I wonder if you ever got to listen to the Utopia? I have the option to buy one for around $2000 in "like new condition". I wonder if it will sound almost exactly like the Focal Clears which I already own...

Top Bottom