• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Utopia Review (Headphone)

RustyGates

Measurements state they didn't.

Now who do we believe? A microphone free of bias and feelings, or a Focal employee who profits from more Utopia sales?
There absolutely is a measured difference between the OG and the 22. The FR is not the same, and there may be other parameters which differ slightly, maybe even slightly lowered distortion. It doesnt sound forward in the high frequencies as my OG used to either, and that is very obvious in listening.

The 22 also has higher excursion limit, it doesn't clip when playing bass heavy tracks at high SPL as my OG used to.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There absolutely is a measured difference between the OG and the 22. The FR is not the same, and there may be other parameters which differ slightly, maybe even slightly lowered distortion. It doesnt sound forward in the high frequencies as my OG used to either, and that is very obvious in listening.

The 22 also has higher excursion limit, it doesn't clip when playing bass heavy tracks at high SPL as my OG used to.
Prove it. I posted a comparative graph from published measurements and they fall right on top of each other. I already said that they fixed the voice coil failure and excursions issues—flaws of their own that they should have offered to fix or trade up for existing owners.

This was a headphone quality improvement. It was not a sonic improvement, unless you have objective evidence to prove it. Your subjective listening experiences do not count—at least not on here.

joefig44

Recently acquired a Focal Utopia 2022 and based on a recommendation from this site, I bought a used Ferrum Erco DAC/Amp.

Everything sounds fine and all as expected - fantastic in fact!

I use Roon's PEQ with Oratory settings, but I'm wondering if I would benefit from picking up a used RME ADI-2 DAC FS (and letting my Ferrum go) just so I can do the PEQ in the RME rather than in Roon (and also have the PEQ apply to all content and not just Roon content)? I do some light PC gaming and youtube watching, but nothing major.

Or, should I just stick with the Ferrum Erco?

Cost wise, it would probably end up net/net only costing me a couple hundred by the time I sold off the Ferrum and bought the RME used.

Mr Swing King

Fun little game that I’ve tried myself with a couple of friends:
Gather all the openback Focals you can; Elear, Elex, Clear, Clear Mg and both Utopias. Fit all headphones with the same completely fresh pads, put on blindfold…and see if you can hear a difference.
If you somehow can add some 40-50 grams to every can other than the Utopia so as the weight doesn’t give anything away…well then you’re on your way.
This was very enlightening btw. It may be for others as well:)
Edited for horrendous writing.

joefig44

Anyone ever compare the Oratory PEQ settings to the same Oratory settings but for RME ADI-2 to see if they sound exactly the same?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Anyone ever compare the Oratory PEQ settings to the same Oratory settings but for RME ADI-2 to see if they sound exactly the same?
They do not sound exactly the same, because they do not use the same frequency response measurement as their basis.

This becomes obvious if you just flip between the two PDFs in your browser:

The "EQ Curve total" graph is noticeably different as a result. The ADI-2 preset has less treble and more bass.

joefig44

They do not sound exactly the same, because they do not use the same frequency response measurement as their basis.

This becomes obvious if you just flip between the two PDFs in your browser:

The "EQ Curve total" graph is noticeably different as a result. The ADI-2 preset has less treble and more bass.
Ok - sorry I'm new to all this.

Why is it they didn't use the same FR measurement as their basis? Just a different Utopia used?

Right now I have a Ferrum Erco with my Utopia 2022, and use Oratory's PEQ in Roon and it sounds just fantastic.
But I'm thinking of swapping the Erco for a RME ADI-2 DAC FS so that I can use the PEQ across all content and not just Roon.

I can't seem to find Oratory RME settings for the Utopia 2022 (just the OG Utopia), so I'm wondering if instead I should just keep the Ferrum Erco.

oratory1990

Reviewer

Attachments

• Focal Utopia unit variation.png
    Focal Utopia unit variation.png
    996.7 KB · Views: 76

joefig44

When I made the setting for the ADI-2 I had only measured one Utopia (2 earcups).

I later measured more units (8 units / 16 earcups by now)
Thanks, but still unclear if the ADI-2 one sounds same/better/worse than the other one which I'm currently using in Roon PEQ.

I'm considering picking up an ADI-2 for use with my Utopia 2022, but I don't want to upgrade if it's PEQ is worse than what I'm getting from Roon PEQ with your other settings right now.

oratory1990

Reviewer
Thanks, but still unclear if the ADI-2 one sounds same/better/worse than the other one which I'm currently using in Roon PEQ.

I'm considering picking up an ADI-2 for use with my Utopia 2022, but I don't want to upgrade if it's PEQ is worse than what I'm getting from Roon PEQ with your other settings right now.
The difference between the EQ settings will be no higher than the difference between individual units of the Utopia (which do vary a bit).

In any case, you'll find you yourself needing to adjust and finetune the EQ settings, both to adjust to your personal preferences as well as to compensate for unit variation on the headphone.

Top Bottom