• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Stellia Review (Closed Back Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 66 31.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 94 44.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 35 16.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 17 8.0%

• Total voters

DS_Construct

I have several pair of the focal headphones but specifically, I have both the Utopia and the Stellia. And, I really like the sound of both though they are different. I do enjoy the versatility of closed backs in general as they fit with my loud and mobile life. So, I use my Stellia's often and everywhere. I don't remember hearing any distortion though I don't listen to them loudly. Anyway, it is a rare day that I can find the golden silence that I need to listen to the open backs without upsetting everyone in the household. I still contend that I haven't heard a headphone, open or closed or planar or other, that sounds as good as my 64 Audio U18T.

Last edited:

DS_Construct

My (late 2020) Utopias came with black fenestrated lambskin. I wonder if they changed it. My Original Clears have the fenestrated microfiber.
My 2019 Utopias also came with fenestrated lambskin.

DS_Construct

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have several pair of the focal headphones but specifically, I have both the Utopia and the Stellia. And, I really like the sound of both though they are different. I do enjoy the versatility of closed backs in general as they fit with my loud and mobile life. So, I use my Stellia's often and everywhere. I don't remember hearing any distortion though I don't listen to them loudly. Anyway, it is a rare day that I can find the golden silence that I need to listen to the open backs without upsetting everyone in the household. I still contend that I haven't heard a headphone, open or closed or planar or other, that sounds as good as my 64 Audio U18T.
What do you think of Dan Clark Aeon2 closed back headphones?

DS_Construct

What do you think of Dan Clark Aeon2 closed back headphones?
I did get a listen on a pair that a friend had. I thought they sounded good. It reminded of the Audeze LCD-XC. Good sound for the price.

leonasj

hello,does any has EQ parametriq settings for focal stellia on rme adi-2 fs dac?

Attachments

• rme1.jpg
    rme1.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 48

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
hello,does any has EQ parametriq settings for focal stellia on rme adi-2 fs dac?
You could ask Oratory over on his reddit if he would create an RME ADI EQ for it:
He has actually measured that headphone so he should be able to create an RME ADI EQ for it without much trouble, although perhaps he's held off on doing one because the frequency response looks like it needs quite a bit of correction, but might be ok to do just about with the 5 available Peak Filters.

DS_Construct

If you're buying these for the looks, get the Clear MG instead. In my opinion, it looks better and it's half the price. Sounds pretty good too, but who cares?
lighter
Beautiful Pic!

Soria Moria

If you're buying these for the looks, get the Clear MG instead. In my opinion, it looks better and it's half the price. Sounds pretty good too, but who cares?
lighter
Don't these (or all?) Focals have a problem with clipping? If I were to give it a Harman bass shelf wouldn't that be likely to clip at louder volumes?

DS_Construct

Don't these (or all?) Focals have a problem with clipping? If I were to give it a Harman bass shelf wouldn't that be likely to clip at louder volumes?
I haven't had clipping issues with any of my Focal Headphones. Even when EQ'd, I can't recall any issues.

Zapador

Finally got the chance to sit down and listen to the Stellia and I was really surprised - sadly not in a good way. For 3500$ as they are around here I had expected more. They look great at a distance but once you get up close that goes away pretty quickly, why are there visible burrs on the cups from manufacturing? They feel somewhat cheap, almost as if their goal was to make something that looks expensive but is cheap to make (which I suspect is actually the case).

For the sound, which is after all the more important thing, I wasn't really impressed either. Lack of detail, somewhat congested, and fairly narrow soundstage. I will have to sit down and listen to them again because I can't believe what I heard, just not impressive at that price point. I can say one positive thing and that's the nice warm vocals for lack of better terminology.

Overall something like 600$ would have seemed more reasonable. Ouch!

headphone

I asked Oratory if he had one and he said since it only has 5 bands it was not worth it. I would use APO or Roon for proper Stellia EQ

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked Oratory if he had one and he said since it only has 5 bands it was not worth it. I would use APO or Roon for proper Stellia EQ

Use crinacle's measurements and the eq tool to design a 7 band eq that gets you close to your target of choice. 7 bands assuming you want to use the high and low shelf bass /treble controls as no 1 and 7 filters. Easily done in the new rme control app.

headphone

Use crinacle's measurements and the eq tool to design a 7 band eq that gets you close to your target of choice. 7 bands assuming you want to use the high and low shelf bass /treble controls as no 1 and 7 filters. Easily done in the new rme control app.
Thanks!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, and if you look at the 10 band auto eq settings based on oratorys measurement, the first 5 filters should get you thereabouts too.

Top Bottom