• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Solo6 Be Review (Studio Monitor)

YSC

Major Contributor
I've seen on Gearslutz over the years not a few posts about the issue, but i don't know how common/ uncommon it is.
IC, if it have a few on the internet, considering the likely sold units on these not too cheap pro models... I believe it isn't that stella, what's important in my standard though is how many years of use that they still survive without problem, if it's say, 5- 10 years I will call it fair, but not good if we intend for home use, if it's kind of 10+ years and then focal still offer repair with a charge, it's fine for me

rmsanger

I was using Focal drivers with active crossovers in car audio installations in the late 90s. I found them to be superior to any of the automotive-specific brands, and quite reasonably priced. A decade or so later when I was back in the USA for a few months taking care of my mother, I purchased the cheapest Focal automotive separates set at 50% off on eBay to go along with a pretty inexpensive Pioneer head unit that was also heavily discounted. They dramatically improved the sound in her Camry.

https://www.cdtaudio.com/main_series/es/escrm62as.php

This is a pretty good alternative.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have got to stop reading these reviews.
Two more sets of two ways that I want, and that's just this week.

I'm intrigued by Focal's decision to put analog amps in these.

The rapid pace of DAC development makes that a sensible choice.

I loved me some Focal Polyglass, back in the day...

Are these different from the ones I bought in 2010? Back then there was no digital active, maybe there was but way out my price range. I’m actually surprised these are getting attention now.

They were my first active speakers after I converted from audiofoolia.

BostonJack

Editor
Come on. There are much heavier Focal towers.:cool:
sopra-n-3-blanc-carrare_603685a8f0713_600.jpg
focal-scala-utopia-evo-la-paire.jpg
focal-grande-utopia-em-evo-la-paire.jpg
These towers look like they would be right at home on the set of some epic black futurism movie. The Solo 6 Be on the other hand looks like the bookcases in a mid-market lawyer's office. I'm a total Focal fan and am saving for a pair of Solo 6's, but jeez that is one dated look.

nick-v

They did have a black version several years ago that I thought looked great!

focal_fopro_solo6be_bl_solo6_be_2_way_1418895905_1107871.jpg

I was saving up to pull the trigger on a pair, but by the time I had the funds they were only available in the red wood (of which I'm not a fan). At the time, I ended up going with a pair Dynaudio BM6a mkII instead.

BostonJack

Editor
They did have a black version several years ago that I thought looked great!

focal_fopro_solo6be_bl_solo6_be_2_way_1418895905_1107871.jpg

I was saving up to pull the trigger on a pair, but by the time I had the funds they were only available in the red wood (of which I'm not a fan). At the time, I ended up going with a pair Dynaudio BM6a mkII instead.

I'm Jonesing for a pair of Sopra #1. My out-there self wants them in orange, but my decision making self will probably settle on blue. I agree the black treatment looks great. Their 40th anniversary edition (probably very hard to get) had a leather like treatment with a subtle embossed "40th" in lieu of the red wood. You could strip the red and stain them ebony or something. They will be yours after all!

[Sopra #1 just hits my aesthetic buttons and is, by all reports, an outstanding speaker. But $11k. Lordy, what's a working man to do?]

keenly

I'm Jonesing for a pair of Sopra #1. My out-there self wants them in orange, but my decision making self will probably settle on blue. I agree the black treatment looks great. Their 40th anniversary edition (probably very hard to get) had a leather like treatment with a subtle embossed "40th" in lieu of the red wood. You could strip the red and stain them ebony or something. They will be yours after all!

[Sopra #1 just hits my aesthetic buttons and is, by all reports, an outstanding speaker. But $11k. Lordy, what's a working man to do?]
I too want the Sopra speakers, but do not have funds right now. I plan to buy them in the future though! For now, I need an upgrade from PMCdb1i.

dfuller

Major Contributor

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Solo6Be--focal-solo6-be-6.5-inch-powered-studio-monitor

Solo6s are super on sale right now on Sweetwater - to the point that I have a suspicion that Focal is coming out with an updated line.
They were updated 2 years ago

Last edited:

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wonder if they really did an overhaul on the amp, as they were my biggest problem. Both failed on me (pair). I'm thinking they just tweaked the tweeter level.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I wonder if they really did an overhaul on the amp, as they were my biggest problem. Both failed on me (pair). I'm thinking they just tweaked the tweeter level.
That's exactly what prevented me from getting a pair

Reactions: CMB

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Same reason I didn’t go for the shape 50 which I liked their looks a lot but go with 8030C. Didn’t regret though
I did the same after I paid to repair then sold the solos. Mine had the old Bash amps I believe, got em new from Sweetwater.

If they had completely changed the amps before I got the Gennies, I might have given them a second chance.

However, I also feel as if my plight was not that of most solo 6 owners. Someone at the amp plant in China must have been having a bad day when they built my pair.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I did the same after I paid to repair then sold the solos. Mine had the old Bash amps I believe, got em new from Sweetwater.

If they had completely changed the amps before I got the Gennies, I might have given them a second chance.

However, I also feel as if my plight was not that of most solo 6 owners. Someone at the amp plant in China must have been having a bad day when they built my pair.
Which Genelecs are comparable to Solo6? 8040?

Top Bottom