• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Solo6 Be Review (Studio Monitor)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is going to be picture intensive but here's some pics. There appears to be different versions from other pics I've seen.
focal-solo6-be-2346199.jpg

nwgetdui2u0fnz9nrht8.jpg

ol7njmad95anjveyahni.jpg

guvc7rx6d0uiq42en7bj.jpg

T27pPdXgtbXXXXXXXX_!!1094243595.jpg

T2JmfJXXtaXXXXXXXX_!!1094243595.jpg

T2vZ_KXi0XXXXXXXXX_!!1094243595.jpg

hawpmczre240emzm9tp8.jpg

Last edited:

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Magnifique! At last some praise for Focals :D

eriksson

Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I went to Focal website and saw the Focal Solo6 Be with grille over the tweeter, both pictured and in the product data sheet:
https://www.focal.com/en/pro-audio/monitoring-speakers/sm6/monitoring-speakers/solo6-be

Obviously the speakers amir is testing have no such thing.
Yes and the gain switch on the back has a aluminum protection plate around it to prevent it being switched accidentally on some and not others.

Here's parts including the plate amp for sale.

Morgoth

Forum Donor

dfuller

Major Contributor
Focal has rather blinder-like focus on low distortion and the W cones are about the best out there. Truly brilliant cone design. Consider for a moment that these are nearfield monitors and 86dB per speaker at 1m is far louder than you'd be listening at most times, and clearly the distortion behavior is excellent.

This is going to be picture intensive but here's some pics. There appears to be different versions from other pics I've seen.
focal-solo6-be-2346199.jpg

nwgetdui2u0fnz9nrht8.jpg

ol7njmad95anjveyahni.jpg

guvc7rx6d0uiq42en7bj.jpg

T27pPdXgtbXXXXXXXX_!!1094243595.jpg

T2JmfJXXtaXXXXXXXX_!!1094243595.jpg

T2vZ_KXi0XXXXXXXXX_!!1094243595.jpg

hawpmczre240emzm9tp8.jpg
Damn, look at that driver frame! Clearly a lot of thought has gone into minimizing reflections.

Last edited:

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That 2-9kHz directivity decrease is definitely the Focal "house sound", so I don't think they see it as an error.

In a way. My understanding is that they emphasize maintaining wide horizontal directivity more than anything. They aren't going to sacrifice wide directivity in the name of a slightly smoother crossover region with a big waveguide for instance. Often that means there's some bunching in the presence region from diffraction, but their higher end models tends to smooth that out, such as the Sopra 1(perhaps simply because of the strong cabinet curvature) They also seem to be using shallow waveguides more often, as seen in the new Alpha Evo. Hopefully a revision of the Solo6's will tidy up the directivity more.

Despite the flaws, I'm always happy that wide directivity monitors exist. I'm very curious how the Alpha Evo line measure.

I went to Focal website and saw the Focal Solo6 Be with grille over the tweeter, both pictured and in the product data sheet:
https://www.focal.com/en/pro-audio/monitoring-speakers/sm6/monitoring-speakers/solo6-be

Obviously the speakers amir is testing have no such thing. So it's clear there are different versions.
Yeah for sure. There are at least 3 versions it seems. Just sucks that it's hard to know if the discrepancies are due to the versions, unit variation, or measurement differences.

Last edited:

mjvbl

The "BASH®" circuit uses a high-efficiency, fast-response, pulse-width modulated (PWM) power supply to provide the main voltage rails for a linear class AB amplifier. It varies the output voltage of the power supply in sync with the audio signal being amplified to maintain a constant voltage drop across the output transistors of the amplifier. As a result, the power dissipation (power waste) in the output transistor is greatly reduced compared to traditional class AB amplifiers, therefore the amplifier runs more efficiently."

Sorry, off-topic funny question. Is this a technique that could be implemented relatively easlily for a hot-running DIY class AB amp? Like replacing the power supply for the output stage with a class D chip amp that is sourcing DC plus a low-pass filtered version of the audio signal on top, something along those lines?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, off-topic funny question. Is this a technique that could be implemented relatively easlily for a hot-running DIY class AB amp? Like replacing the power supply for the output stage with a class D chip amp that is sourcing DC plus a low-pass filtered version of the audio signal on top, something along those lines?
You mean change the power supply to a PWM switching supply and change the amp section to a class D? Sure if you replace the entire plate amp assembly.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I really love the internals with its good connectors for the cables, shielded transformer and nice clean work. Is this speaker yours?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I really love the internals with its good connectors for the cables, shielded transformer and nice clean work. Is this speaker yours?
No, I googled the speaker and surfed till I found decent pics. Focal seems to be a class act.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that my units had the tweeter grille, although I don't see why that on its own would have such a large effect.
I watched an interview with them and they said they put the grill on 40th anniversary. And that the had changed the filtering to compensate. So definitely a different thing even though they claimed they sound the same.

PeteL

Major Contributor
It would be great to have some idea of the size of the box and the size of the woofer in speaker reviews. you say "small size" but in headphone you measure the cup. It would give us perspective, it's useful information.

GWolfman

Forum Donor
Are these ever so slightly bright? The slope of the estimated in-room response line is quite minimal.

FeddyLost

watched an interview with them and they said they put the grill on 40th anniversary.
Beryllium is fragile and toxic at the same time.
This is obvious step for anyone who sells speakers globally.
I've seen few Focal hi-end passives in adverts for sale with cracked tweeters, so it's common scenario.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know of these are real beryllium domes, or just dampend on aluminum?

Top Bottom