• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Solo6 Be Review (Studio Monitor)

dfuller

Major Contributor

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Well, I was right then.

The updated version looks to have something (vaguely) resembling a waveguide, so props there. Not crazy about the massive reduction in output power from the amps, though - down from 150+100 to 80+50.
If they're Class D then it's worth the sacrifice of some power for more reliability
I think, like the Evo series, this is due to them switching to Class D; though they don't explicitly state it.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I think, like the Evo series, this is due to them switching to Class D; though they don't explicitly state it.
This seems likely. However given Class D needing less power input for the same output, I see no reason they couldn't have kept that same power output.

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Had I not already replaced my original solo6s with Genelec 8030s, the move to a new amp would have tipped my choice in their favor.

YSC

Major Contributor
Focal always have a soft spot of artistic design for me, just their price is a lot higher than Genelec and Neumann for same performance category kept me away

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Quite a price jump from the old one

Screenshot_20220604-045323_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220604-050143_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Meaningless without knowing the driver sensitivity.

The news visually look bad to me, cheaper than the previous iteration. Those red wood sides are too bright and make the speaker look cheap. The "waveguide looks really strange, will have to wait to see klippel to know how it works. The "beryllium" text is so cheesy, who wants their speaker to display the driver material on the front?

The only new feature is the ability to run one woofer full range? They're competing with monitors with built in DSP, their feature is comparatively lame.

Focal must like their horizontally aligned drivers, but I'd pass on them knowing what I do about dispersion. Like the alpha evo twin these appear to be a cost cutting measure, would have preferred a three way with a midrange vertically aligned with the tweeter, but their method you only need to develop two drivers instead of three.

I don't think I like focal. They seem like they just can't go of some of the bad marketing tactics. They seem to make new drivers every speaker gen and market the material, really not interested in that.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They seem to make new drivers every speaker gen and market the material, really not interested in that.
They are a driver manufacturer, so no surprise about the driver evolution.
As an engineer I appreciate their driver design developments over the decades personally.
It is a very long time since I was a noise and vibration engineer but given most materials are not stiff enough to avoid breakup in the passband internal damping becomes crucial to the performance. I suppose this is why some people can tell what a cone material is by ear.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Meaningless without knowing the driver sensitivity.

The news visually look bad to me, cheaper than the previous iteration. Those red wood sides are too bright and make the speaker look cheap. The "waveguide looks really strange, will have to wait to see klippel to know how it works. The "beryllium" text is so cheesy, who wants their speaker to display the driver material on the front?

The only new feature is the ability to run one woofer full range? They're competing with monitors with built in DSP, their feature is comparatively lame.

Focal must like their horizontally aligned drivers, but I'd pass on them knowing what I do about dispersion. Like the alpha evo twin these appear to be a cost cutting measure, would have preferred a three way with a midrange vertically aligned with the tweeter, but their method you only need to develop two drivers instead of three.

I don't think I like focal. They seem like they just can't go of some of the bad marketing tactics. They seem to make new drivers every speaker gen and market the material, really not interested in that.
We get it, you really don't like Focal.

kolestonin

I placed an order on 07/06 with the Focal Solo 6 be appearing as available in 1-2 weeks.
Since then, I keep receiving weekly updates that the items still need to be delivered to them.
Latest update was that the speakers will be delivered to them on 30/06.
2 days ago the speakers become unavailable in their e-shop.
A new version is also here.
So my understanding is that Focal will stop(or already stopped) producing the speakers reviewed
by Amirm and discussed in this thread.
Finding a pair of the old version will be difficult if not impossible in the near future.
Or even already.

As for me?
My hope is that Focal agreed to produce some last pieces for some open orders.
And my order is luckily among them.
So I will be able to get one of the 'last of Mohicans'
My intention is to use them as HI-FI speakers.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I placed an order on 07/06 with the Focal Solo 6 be appearing as available in 1-2 weeks.
Since then, I keep receiving weekly updates that the items still need to be delivered to them.
Latest update was that the speakers will be delivered to them on 30/06.
2 days ago the speakers become unavailable in their e-shop.
A new version is also here.
So my understanding is that Focal will stop(or already stopped) producing the speakers reviewed
by Amirm and discussed in this thread.
Finding a pair of the old version will be difficult if not impossible in the near future.
Or even already.

As for me?
My hope is that Focal agreed to produce some last pieces for some open orders.
And my order is luckily among them.
So I will be able to get one of the 'last of Mohicans'
My intention is to use them as HI-FI speakers.
Why not cancel the order and buy the new version?

kolestonin

There is a price difference of 870euros for the pair which brings me out of my budget.
But beside that I am not convinced this price difference is justified.

I know that buying a 2007 speaker that according my research is not the most reliable in the world and is now out of production is not the wisest thing to do.
But I considered all the + and - after a thorough 4 months research for a pair of monitor speakers to use as HI-FI in my 30 square meters living room.
And Focal 6 Solo be are my choice.
If they are not available I will start considering other options.
But most probably not the new version of Focal 6.

Last edited:
Top Bottom