• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Solo6 Be Review (Studio Monitor)

3125b

Major Contributor
The Solo6 ST was measured by S&R: https://www.soundandrecording.de/eq...-der-st6-serie-2-wege-nahfeldmonitor-im-test/
Impressive woofer, unimpressive tweeter, no fancy stuff like phase linearity etc.
Not too impressed for 2600€/pair, the KH150 are the better deal.

Oops, it‘s that thread all over again …
Well, I don‘t know if comparing the 5.25“ KH120II to the 6.5“ Solo6 makes all that much sense when the KH150 is much closer to it in price and size.

dickiefunk

I have the option to buy the Focal Solo6 ST6 at a price very close to the KH120’s and well over £1000 cheaper than the KH150’s. I will be using them in a studio for mixing.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I have the option to buy the Focal Solo6 ST6 at a price very close to the KH120’s and well over £1000 cheaper than the KH150’s. I will be using them in a studio for mixing.
KH120 IIs are going to more than likely walk all over them.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Probably
But judging from what I've heard (old KH120 and old Solo 6)
KH120 is flatter and more accurate
But Solo6 sound like a much bigger speaker with a ton more Bass

heflys20

Yep, I'd just wait for the KH 120 II's personally. Heck, I'd wager they'd "walk all over" most speakers in their price range and slightly above.

whitestardan

I have a very newbie/rookie question about these. I'm a fan of the Focal sound and would like to have this for a combination home theater/music system. The room this would go in is 14.5 feet by 14 feet with a listening position about 9 feet away. My problem is I don't have $10-25K to spend on Focal Sopra or Utopia speakers. I know these are near field monitors, but would they still work effectively for what I'm thinking about or should I stay looking at passive home theater speakers?

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Depends at what volume you listen? They have a similar sound, as the Sopra and Utopia bookshelves. If you like to listen loud then you need a bigger speaker if you listen at more moderate levels these will be fine.

There is no difference between nearfield monitors and home bookshelf speakers. The sound doesn't turn to garbage when you sit further. Nearfield is defined by two aspects. One, the sound is combined between all the drivers when sitting close. A tower speaker on your desk a half meter away one would hear the drivers closest to them and not the combined sound. Two, is volume level. At 3+m away a small bookshelf type speaker with a 6" woofer and a tweeter will not reac.h reference levels. However, many people in their homes don't listen anywhere near reference level and a smaller speaker works fine.

So, if you like loud then you need a bigger speaker. Something similar in design to this speaker whether a monitor or home bookshelf type regardless of price won't cut it. If your listening is more moderate than these will work. Many people have home theaters with smaller bookshelf speakers and smaller woofers. So if they play loud enough and you like their sound, go for it.

urfaust

I had the solo6 for a while, one of the best bookshelf ive heard, if not the best with a few culprits. Hiss was audible on a desk. They were getting hot indeed on a desk but that wasn't bother me much.
Highs were fantastic, i thought however the woofer crossover felt a bit low, leaving a tad too much to do for the tweeter which sounded amazing most of the time, if only a bit harsch/forward on some tracks but i trimmed it from the back at some point. Front port could be heard a bit at high volume but that was probably still better than a back port as i had them quite close to the wall.

Im willing to pick up the new versions reading all the improvements. Im just wondering for those who already have a pair if the hiss is still there?
By any chance if somebody has heard both versions, some comparisons would be fantastic to read of course.
Quoting myself, since then i not only got the ST6 but stepped up to the Twin ST6, paired with my sb4000 sub. Will possibly write some tidbits more in details later but to get this out right off the bat, they fixed all the little things i disliked and listed above with the solo. Only one remains, is the little pop after 10min or so of inactivity but you can choose to disable auto standby. Im amazed everyday with this set up so far the last 6 months. I reckon they might be a bit different (as in not just higher spl) than the new solos with their specific "2.5 way" design though.

sliffy

Hi all,
I am using my Solo6 on a desktop setup: laptop >> usb canle >> Ifi Neo idsd >> xlr cable >> Solo6.
I wonder if the system would be better with a better dac/preamp or separated dac- preamp? Does anybody have experience with preamps?
Thx...

Top Bottom