• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal SM9 vs Neumann HK310

SM9s or KH310s

• Total voters

johnliquid

Hi all,

I'm in the market for some second hand speakers. I've heard good things about both the Focal SM9 vs Neumann HK310 but am keen to hear some other opinions to help me decide between them.

I produce electronic music with a lot of focus on bass, so obviously this is a major consideration, but they both look to have excellent bass extension. I'm leaning towards the Focals, but perhaps that's because they retailed at a higher amount. They were both reviewed very well in soundonsound.

Given the above, I would love to know what some of the esteemed individuals on this forum think and where they would go with this?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buy my 310's :)

J/K, buy what works for you. SM9's seem to have a little more extension, but if bass is as important as you say you'd probably be better served with 310's + sub for similar price (depending what country you're in). At that price you could also consider the Kef LS60, if your room placement will support it. No measurements yet but if anyone can get it right, they can.

3125b

Major Contributor
Sound&Recording reviewed both:
https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/der-studiomonitor-focal-sm9-im-test/ and https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/studiomonitor-neumann-kh-310-im-test/
The Focal can play louder in bass but the extension is technically slightly worse. FR is much more uneven and directivity somewhat less controlled. It's larger and a lot heavier.
The Focal came to market in 2014, the KH 310 in 2013 (the predecessor Klein+Hummel O300 was released in 2007 or so).
I'm not sure about reliability, but an old-ish active Focal isn't very high up my list of confidence in that regard.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Focal has better output in the low bass regions (3% distortion around 100dB is pretty good sub-50hz) but it loses in essentially every other way. It's not as flat, the dispersion is less well behaved (though not bad, to be honest; just not great), it has less headroom in the midrange.

If it's the same price, I'd listen to both and see which you like better.

Top Bottom