• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

YSC

Major Contributor
Depends on the sizes of the books then. The wood sticks out at all sides a bit, so if the books are tall enough to lean against that there should be a little bit of space.
it's below that, so the genelec is not a bad choice for my case :-D

lc155

it's below that, so the genelec is not a bad choice for my case :-D

I'd personally just find an excuse to start with a really big book to lean off it, but I just find the Genelecs butt-ugly!

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think the focal intresting, because it have no bass reflex port and 2 passiv woofers left and right. maybe this give no noise. small 4 or 5 inch speakers produce lots port noise much hearable on solo bass, so passive woofers maybe better

dfuller

Major Contributor
I think the focal intresting, because it have no bass reflex port and 2 passiv woofers left and right. maybe this give no noise. small 4 or 5 inch speakers produce lots port noise much hearable on solo bass, so passive woofers maybe better
Well, there's certainly no port noise.

bennybbbx

Well, there's certainly no port noise.

but there can be maybe other noise from the passive system2. maybe they wobble long or so. maybe because it have 2 passive speaker it give no gaps in bass can be the advantage

AudioStudies

books are not made of air
Indeed. The lower frequencies will behave differently travelling through solid or liquid materials than through air, the reason we hear things differently when underneath the water in a swimming pool.

lc155

Speaker cabinets walls are not made of air either, and yet bass will still travel omnidirectionally out from the speaker, as well as going through solid walls. So, how is a couple of books supposed to make a huge difference? I'd agree if they were up against a bass port, but I'm not sure a passive radiator will be nearly as bothered by that. Focal seem to advertise these as being more placement agnostic because of the passive radiators.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaker cabinets walls are not made of air either, and yet bass will still travel omnidirectionally out from the speaker, as well as going through solid walls. So, how is a couple of books supposed to make a huge difference? I'd agree if they were up against a bass port, but I'm not sure a passive radiator will be nearly as bothered by that. Focal seem to advertise these as being more placement agnostic because of the passive radiators.
The omnidirectional radiation of bass from a speaker is because of the wavelength.
If the bass came through the cabinet it would cancel that from the bass driver and there would be no output below a frequency related to the driver size.

The main point of having an enclosure is to keep the bass output of the back of the driver from interfering with that from the front.
A bit more study of the physics required here.

bleakend

I've had the Shape 40s for about a year now. Was looking out for the Presonus Eris or the Kali Audio LP6 but they simply did not have the smooth highs of the Shapes. I also listened to the 50s and 65s, and decided to go with the 40s for the most natural sounding mids. The highs are slightly elevated like some other posters mentioned, but it never gets to the point where you would feel like it's ruining the music or tensing your ears up. It is probably due to how smooth the highs are, and I can really listen to them for hours.

These monitors are extremely sensitive to the positioning, but once you get them locked in at exactly the same distance (down to the mm), the imaging is rock solid and the soundstage is wide. I have mine sitting on Auralex pads on DIY-ed stands, and they are paired to my Presonus Temblor T10 sub crossed at 80hz.

I would highly suggest listening to the 40s, 50s and 60s to really find out how warm you would like the mids to be. Without the sub, I would probably have gone for the 65s or even the twins.

ordeith

I've had the Shape 40s for about a year now. Was looking out for the Presonus Eris or the Kali Audio LP6 but they simply did not have the smooth highs of the Shapes. I also listened to the 50s and 65s, and decided to go with the 40s for the most natural sounding mids. The highs are slightly elevated like some other posters mentioned, but it never gets to the point where you would feel like it's ruining the music or tensing your ears up. It is probably due to how smooth the highs are, and I can really listen to them for hours.

These monitors are extremely sensitive to the positioning, but once you get them locked in at exactly the same distance (down to the mm), the imaging is rock solid and the soundstage is wide. I have mine sitting on Auralex pads on DIY-ed stands, and they are paired to my Presonus Temblor T10 sub crossed at 80hz.

I would highly suggest listening to the 40s, 50s and 60s to really find out how warm you would like the mids to be. Without the sub, I would probably have gone for the 65s or even the twins.

Apologies for necro-ing this thread, but I was about to create a new one. I have had the 40s for a few days now, and am listening to them through PC -> RME ADI 2 DAC -> 2x Focals. They are positioned on ISO stands at the right height.

Like the post above me, as well as in a number of reviews here - there seem to be two ways of looking at speakers: (i) the speakers themselves; and (ii) paired with a subwoofer.

I like the Shape 40s - the sound is very 'accurate' to my ears, but where in some recordings I am expecting the bass to kick in, it is so tempered in these speakers. They are 'begging' for a subwoofer.

My question here is - what are some good subs to pair with Shape 40s? I got the 40s because: (i) small room in a (ii) small NYC apartment. I'm in a building where some people have been told to stop using subwoofers (some people aim them at the wall, which they share with a neighbor...). So, can I get a decent sub to complement these speakers, and perhaps on a stand so the vibrations don't go through the hardwood floors to my downstairs neighbor?

The speakers are on a standing desk, so tips on positioning the sub would be great too. As always, sorry for being long-winded, but am really hoping for your help!

ordeith

Or ^ on the above, just send back the Shape 40s to Sweetwater and exchange them for 2x Genelec 8030c ? Just finished reading that review here and think they might be the right fit for me, without a subwoofer.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Either swap for 8030Cs or KH120s, or Shape 50s. Shape 40s just don't have the oomph. No Focal really extends particularly low for its size, though.

YSC

Major Contributor
Or ^ on the above, just send back the Shape 40s to Sweetwater and exchange them for 2x Genelec 8030c ? Just finished reading that review here and think they might be the right fit for me, without a subwoofer.
I would say 8030C should be better, but if you really liked focal looks, the Shape 50 could do similarly, but it lacks the room correction presets the 8030C offers though

ordeith

Either swap for 8030Cs or KH120s, or Shape 50s. Shape 40s just don't have the oomph. No Focal really extends particularly low for its size, though.

Thanks. My plan is to swap my Shape 40s for 8030Cs - and if I need more on the bass side I'll start the search for a sub in this price range.

Bet you're loving those KH310s - I've heard them in person in Germany at a friend's place. Wife wouldn't be happy at the moment with those, nor would my neighbors in this NYC apartment ;)

YSC

Major Contributor
Thanks. My plan is to swap my Shape 40s for 8030Cs - and if I need more on the bass side I'll start the search for a sub in this price range.

Bet you're loving those KH310s - I've heard them in person in Germany at a friend's place. Wife wouldn't be happy at the moment with those, nor would my neighbors in this NYC apartment ;)
If your room is small enough and sub put near a wall, I would say from my exp the genelec 7040A is small enough, and easy to integrate with genelec mains

Vangelo

Guess I will add my 2c worth from an audiophile point of view.
I had the Elac Navis in my system directly fed from an SMSL M500 ii DAC. Direct & simple. Sounded great.
My main issue is integrating with OB subs, crossing around 65hz, I use 2 pairs of UM18s in clamshell arrangement driven by NX6000D. This bass arrangement gives me everything I want with minimal room artefacts. Its the tops I have trouble with....and to date, the Navis were the best I heard in my system. I have learned it is essential to have a HPF, especially with reflex which tends to bloat the midrange and react with the room.
However, when I viewed a review on YouTube where the Navis was compared to the Focal Shape 65, this piqued my interest, and brought me to this thread....a bit late....but others may be interested as a reference. This speaker is unique being active with twin passive bass radiators.
To cut a long story short, I bought the 40's to try, then the 50's, and have not looked back. The 50's do everything the Navis do, but better. More open mids.....perhaps because of better bass control from the PBR's. As one reviewer describes, they are more up front in a neutral way. More dynamic and engaging. They are also half the price!
2022-06-10_164615.jpg

I have not found the PBR's to be slow or ploddy at all. The opposite, in fact, where the bass slams & punches, always with tight control & timing. It is also full of detail, texture & timbre, and does not obstruct the mids.
Before the Shapes I tested the Kali In-5. It looked like a Navis clone. I sent it straight back. It was awful with a boomy bass and veiled presentation. I felt no amount of run-in would fix that.
For the type of music I listen to, the 50's have more weight than the 40's in the upper bass, but the 40's may have clearer mids....could be because less bass. Doesnt really bother me as the 50's are clean enough. They also go louder.

You may have noticed I fitted an 80mm fan to the back. Not sure it was necessary, but it keeps the back plate 10 degrees cooler and fits onto the M6 bracket retainers in the rear.
Shots of Shape 40 internals:

2022-06-12_090451.jpg

Top Bottom