• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It sounds nice, but I previously read about the shapes did have heat issues and become really too hot to touch after use in hot weather areas, and that the standby function and amp don't last that long, any comment on this? I am really interested in the shape but since in Hong Kong it's constantly over 30-35 degrees Celsius and at that price point I hope it can last for longer than 5 years at least
I haven't had any problems, but I have used mine only indoors in Denver. Although we have hot days in the summer we have a whole-house humidifier that keeps things cool. So, I can't really comment on whether or not you would have problems in Hong Kong. Is this info you read on web sites somewhere?

YSC

Major Contributor
I read that ppl said on gearsluts that the shape twins having the heat issue where it's hot on touch, and that some ppl said the standby functions on some units fails, it was 2017 posts though when it first released

AudioStudies

I read that ppl said on gearsluts that the shape twins having the heat issue where it's hot on touch, and that some ppl said the standby functions on some units fails, it was 2017 posts though when it first released
Thanks

lc155

I didn't see any of this when I did my research into the Shape Twins, got any links?

I did see one or two speaker failures but... people who have bad things happen will be more likely to complain after all. The thing that annoyed most people was the standby kicking in on low volumes.

YSC

Major Contributor

lc155

Ah yeah, that'll be why. I did my looking on in the first half of the year. That's pretty concerning. Bit weird if it only applies to the Twins and not the 65s.

YSC

Major Contributor
Maybe that’s one guy who would touch the back panel after long use in hot weather region? I don’t imagine a lot of guys will touch the back and feels hot then ask the problem on forums.

I personally asked the focal service about the shapes being class AB and without a heat sink and they said it’s the back metal panel itself being utilised as a heat sink. As a person living in the tropical region and have small rooms where speakers will be placed near the wall I steer away from them solely by this reason though. Heat isn’t good for components I planned to use for at least say a decade

lc155

Sounds fair enough. I'm in a colder climate so it probably won't be an issue, and based on the (lack) of mass reports of these failing so far I imagine Focal did due diligence with the design. Unlike say, the Kef LS50w.

I've had amps before that utilised a metal chassis as a heatsink too. It's pretty jarring when it feels hot to the touch for sure, but I guess as long as the heat is dissipating within spec it should be fine.

YSC

Major Contributor
Sounds fair enough. I'm in a colder climate so it probably won't be an issue, and based on the (lack) of mass reports of these failing so far I imagine Focal did due diligence with the design. Unlike say, the Kef LS50w.

I've had amps before that utilised a metal chassis as a heatsink too. It's pretty jarring when it feels hot to the touch for sure, but I guess as long as the heat is dissipating within spec it should be fine.
Ic, actually I am not too concerned about that, but when the shale 50 is same priced as the genelec 8030, the more accurate response of the genelec and cool class D amping gets my money

lc155

Ic, actually I am not too concerned about that, but when the shale 50 is same priced as the genelec 8030, the more accurate response of the genelec and cool class D amping gets my money

Fair enough. I personally value looks as well, and the Genelcs are just too industrial looking for my liking. I typically choose passive speakers for this reason but the Focals have managed to nail a nice balance that please me.

YSC

Major Contributor
Fair enough. I personally value looks as well, and the Genelcs are just too industrial looking for my liking. I typically choose passive speakers for this reason but the Focals have managed to nail a nice balance that please me.
True, the focal attract my attention for the exact sam reason for styling, but the heat puts me away for psychological comfort

dfuller

Major Contributor
I have Shape 65s. They get warm to the touch, but not hot - and really, considering they're essentially sealed boxes with no external heat sinking, they run pretty cool.

My experience with them, subjectively, is that they're exceedingly accurate sounding, if slightly overbright (makes sense, given their response graph). Listening to something with a lot of stereo elements is a treat - they are ridiculously unbelievably pinpoint accurate in imaging in a nearfield situation. Would I want to listen to these as pleasant hobbyist speakers? Eh, maybe not, the top end's a little hot without some corrective EQ. Are they fantastic speakers to work with? Ohhhh yes.

YSC

Major Contributor
I have Shape 65s. They get warm to the touch, but not hot - and really, considering they're essentially sealed boxes with no external heat sinking, they run pretty cool.

My experience with them, subjectively, is that they're exceedingly accurate sounding, if slightly overbright (makes sense, given their response graph). Listening to something with a lot of stereo elements is a treat - they are ridiculously unbelievably pinpoint accurate in imaging in a nearfield situation. Would I want to listen to these as pleasant hobbyist speakers? Eh, maybe not, the top end's a little hot without some corrective EQ. Are they fantastic speakers to work with? Ohhhh yes.
May I ask what’s your environmental temperature?

lc155

Thanks for the impressions. Based on the relatively few FRs I've seen of the Shape 65, they seem very similar to the Aria 906 - maybe a bit flatter in the low and mids, hard to tell as the scales aren't the same and different places doing those measurements, but they so seen to retain a gradual roll off of the treble that the Aria does. To me, I find that a very smooth sound and not bright at all. I found the LS50s bright and harsh, and the Arias nice and smooth. The ELAC DBRs I'm currently testing are definitely on the warmer side, which seems to recess the highs a bit and I feel like I'm missing the... Forward neutrality of the Focal, if that makes sense? I've always heard the Focal house sound being described as that, while being smooth. At least, my experience with 906 is accurate for that, and the Shapes seem to use the same flax drivers and aluminium-magnesium tweeter setup.

So I'm hoping if I end up trying the 65s they'll invoke a similar feeling (it seems they do go down lower - 55Hz Vs 40H - but this can be attenuated from the speaker itself so no issues there) while also simplifying my near field set-up.

Regarding the heat thing: the twins have an extra amp in there for the additional woofer, so it may be that one is more prone to getting too hot with that enclosure design. It was the last released in the series, after all. Just food for thought.

dfuller

Major Contributor
May I ask what’s your environmental temperature?
summer gets up to mid-90s F/mid-30s C here.
Thanks for the impressions. Based on the relatively few FRs I've seen of the Shape 65, they seem very similar to the Aria 906 - maybe a bit flatter in the low and mids, hard to tell as the scales aren't the same and different places doing those measurements, but they so seen to retain a gradual roll off of the treble that the Aria does. To me, I find that a very smooth sound and not bright at all. I found the LS50s bright and harsh, and the Arias nice and smooth. The ELAC DBRs I'm currently testing are definitely on the warmer side, which seems to recess the highs a bit and I feel like I'm missing the... Forward neutrality of the Focal, if that makes sense? I've always heard the Focal house sound being described as that, while being smooth. At least, my experience with 906 is accurate for that, and the Shapes seem to use the same flax drivers and aluminium-magnesium tweeter setup.

So I'm hoping if I end up trying the 65s they'll invoke a similar feeling (it seems they do go down lower - 55Hz Vs 40H - but this can be attenuated from the speaker itself so no issues there) while also simplifying my near field set-up.

Regarding the heat thing: the twins have an extra amp in there for the additional woofer, so it may be that one is more prone to getting too hot with that enclosure design. It was the last released in the series, after all. Just food for thought.
Yeah, that forward neutral thing is how I'd describe them. That's a good description. The highs are a little hot but not in like a spikey way, it's just like they're shelved up slightly.

YSC

Major Contributor

Yeah, that forward neutral thing is how I'd describe them. That's a good description. The highs are a little hot but not in like a spikey way, it's just like they're shelved up slightly.
Great impressions! That actually sounds good enough, the passive radiator is nice too but I am thinking in the genelec guide to put the speaker very close to the wall to minimise interference in low end for dips and tune the bass response to -4db I am not sure it’s as easy in the focals, for me honestly speaking don’t mind the bass boost, but I am worried a bit as my wife uses my previous kef x300a sides as kind of a book holder which I can’t complain, so the side radiator might not work for me on one channel

AudioStudies

Interesting. I use the Shape 50 in a near field listening situation in a small den and with a powered subwoofer. Each speaker is about 5 feet away from me, in a triangle arrangement. I think the highs may be overstated ever so slightly, but not in an edgy way that distracts from listening. The room is small, even smaller than a typical bedroom. I haven't done any EQ yet, but the bass seems to sound better when I open the single window in the room, the door to the room, and the closet door. I have never owned a two-way powered monitor that gets the mid range as accurate as these do.

lc155

Great impressions! That actually sounds good enough, the passive radiator is nice too but I am thinking in the genelec guide to put the speaker very close to the wall to minimise interference in low end for dips and tune the bass response to -4db I am not sure it’s as easy in the focals, for me honestly speaking don’t mind the bass boost, but I am worried a bit as my wife uses my previous kef x300a sides as kind of a book holder which I can’t complain, so the side radiator might not work for me on one channel

Don't think the side radiator is going to give a damn about books, as the bass should just punch right through that stuff due to the sheer wavelength tbh.

Don't think attenuating the bass will be hard on the Focals given you have the LF shelving dial on the back, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Excellent. Even though I like headphones such as the HD650s, which you'd class as pretty laid back and warm, for my speaker preferences it seems I align towards a slightly brighter sound for some reason. Emphasis on slight. Highs having an airy sparkle to them without being nails on chalkboard is lovely, I think.

YSC

Major Contributor
Don't think the side radiator is going to give a damn about books, as the bass should just punch right through that stuff due to the sheer wavelength tbh.

Don't think attenuating the bass will be hard on the Focals given you have the LF shelving dial on the back, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Excellent. Even though I like headphones such as the HD650s, which you'd class as pretty laid back and warm, for my speaker preferences it seems I align towards a slightly brighter sound for some reason. Emphasis on slight. Highs having an airy sparkle to them without being nails on chalkboard is lovely, I think.
does it? but looking at photos seems the passive radiator have part protruding from the side, so touching the whole side with books would exert extra pressure on the radiators?

lc155

does it? but looking at photos seems the passive radiator have part protruding from the side, so touching the whole side with books would exert extra pressure on the radiators?

Depends on the sizes of the books then. The wood sticks out at all sides a bit, so if the books are tall enough to lean against that there should be a little bit of space.

Top Bottom