• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Elex clipping and replacement pads stock?

KlinkKlink

So I'm looking for a good pair of open, neutral, low-impedance dynamics that don't push $1k, and the Elex seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, but there seems to be talk of problems with it in the past. So what's all this about clipping and a replacement pad debacle?

Are those perforated suede pads so delicate that I'm gonna be looking for replacements before a reasonable timeframe? They still seem to be out of stock on Drop to this day. Are people still getting a single pad per purchase?
Does it really clip outside of ear-bleeding volumes? And if that really is known to happen, is it just a unit-specific thing that I can RMA/refund for?

Is there anything else I should consider before getting these headphones?

ClosDeLaRoche

I had an Elear with Utopia pads once and hated it. Yes the bass will clip terribly at high volumes. It is unlistenable and I can't recommend Focal headphones because of it. The volume does have to be pretty loud, louder than I normally listen, but quieter than I'd expect to cause driver failure.

The other reason it was a no-go for me was comfort. It's a heavy headphone and that headband is not well designed. It places too much weight on the center of the head.

As for the pads, yeah that's another knock against it. Elex black pads are not avaliable. Closest thing are Clear and Utopia pads, but seriously, **** Focal for charging $150 and $250 respectively for those pads.

Last edited:

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I'm looking for a good pair of open, neutral, low-impedance dynamics that don't push $1k, and the Elex seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, but there seems to be talk of problems with it in the past. So what's all this about clipping and a replacement pad debacle?
Is there anything else I should consider before getting these headphones?
I had an Elex and sold it - never had clipping issues. Listened about 30 hours and just couldn't stand how heavy they were, however, I do have a small head and place a premium on comfort.

The biggest concern IMO are the reports of chronic driver failure (just go to eBay and see all of the listings where one side is not working), so buy them new from Drop with the 2 year warranty. Honestly I don't think it's worth the risk, even with the warranty.

Top Bottom