• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Elegia Review (Closed Back Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 32 15.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 98 45.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 59 27.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 11.7%

• Total voters

velasfloyd

based on both reviews, seems like this one is better than the newer, more expense, Celestee..... may be Stelia killer as well?

BostonJack

Editor
I have not. Here it is:
Wow! Thank you. That's a great source of "what are unfamiliar artists that I should listen to?".

I rated this as happy panther because it is French, designed by French people and with an elegant French appearance. If it takes EQ to make it really good, I don't care. I'm in.

Maiky76

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Focal Elegia closed back headphone. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $543 on Amazon including Prime shipping.

Focal nails the luxury look and feel of their headphones:

View attachment 164442

It is a heavy headphone at 420 grams but felt quite comfortable on my head:

View attachment 164443

Drivers are angled so there is quite a lot of depth in the cup on that side (62 mm x 54 mm x 32 mm: height x width x depth).

By far the worst aspect of this headphone is the super stiff and short cable that I received with it. Yes, it is sturdy but if the idea is portable use, who wants to carry a stiff rod in their backpack or purse? It is also microphonic. Fortunately it terminates in mono 3.5 mm connectors so you can make or buy a replacement easily.

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

Fitment on the fixture was good.

Focal Elegia Home Measurements
Let's start with our usual frequency response:

View attachment 164444

This is a very wavy response. It is one thing to decide to have flat response in bass and midrange but why the ups and downs? I am also not used to seeing the sharp drops so low in frequency. Macro level picture is obvious with lack of bass to go with lack of lower treble:
View attachment 164445

Is it me or every Focal headphone I have tested has a different response?

Distortion measurements are good but not exceptional:

View attachment 164446

View attachment 164447

Since we need to boost the bass, I expect audible issues there at elevated playback levels.

Group delay says something is amiss at three frequencies that we had troughs in frequency response:
View attachment 164448

Zoomed version of our impedance measurement tells the same story:
View attachment 164449

View attachment 164450

Likely there is an out of phase resonance that causes cancellation at the upper two frequencies.

This is a very sensitive headphone despite its low impedance:

View attachment 164451

So you should be able to get good dynamics out of it even with low powered sources. Keep this in mind however as you do any AB tests against much less sensitive headphones. These may seem less dynamic without equalizing levels.

Focal Elegia Listening Tests
Per my past experience, lack of energy in a few areas translates to an uninteresting but non-offensive sound. The lower treble energy made my female vocals much less enjoyable. So I dialed in a few parametric filters in my Roon Player to compensate:

View attachment 164453

The difference as expected was dramatic. The sound opens up with very nice spatial effects. Deep bass is now easily heard and even felt at elevated levels. Alas, if you crank it up, the bass notes start to produce static. It is soft tone though and doesn't ever fall apart like Focal Clear did in my review. Turn the levels down a bit though and the deep bass is there without much of any distortion.

EQ combined with the comfort this headphone provides, allowed for very enjoyable experience.

Conclusions
The wild west of headphone design continues with the Elegia presenting yet another frequency response. I hope the industry starts to rally behind something -- anything is better than each headphone producing its own response gambling for some adoption. Fortunately equalization is incredibly beneficial on this headphone, elevating not only its tonality but also its spatial qualities.

I can't recommend the Focal Elegia without equalization. With EQ, it becomes very good to superb if you don't turn it up too high and cause static in the drivers.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Hi,

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.
No data so I scanned the graph, should be close enough from my experience.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo the boosts and preamp gain need to be carefully considered to avoid issues
  • Not all units of the same product are made equal. The EQ is based on the measurements of a single unit.
  • YMMV with regards to the very unit you are trying this EQ on.

Good L/R match.

I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.

Score no EQ: 46.6
Score Armirm: 65.7
Score with EQ: 83.0

Code:
Focal Elegia APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
November102021-111655

Preamp: -2.4 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 90.65 Hz Gain -3.00 dB Q 0.60
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 308.73 Hz Gain -5.33 dB Q 0.86
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 893.00 Hz Gain -5.04 dB Q 0.86
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1653.86 Hz Gain -4.21 dB Q 3.22
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4249.66 Hz Gain 3.16 dB Q 2.99
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5468.94 Hz Gain -3.16 dB Q 5.99
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 14128.20 Hz Gain -8.09 dB Q 4.84

Focal Elegia APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz.png

5 Biquads (RME)
Score no EQ: 46.6
Score Armirm: 65.7
Score with EQ: 80.6

Code:
Focal Elegia RME EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
November102021-111838

Preamp: -0 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 92.31 Hz Gain -3.36 dB Q 0.60
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 308.73 Hz Gain -5.33 dB Q 0.86
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 888.00 Hz Gain -5.04 dB Q 0.86
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1644.22 Hz Gain -4.21 dB Q 3.38
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 5538.66 Hz Gain -2.16 dB Q 5.99
Focal Elegia RME EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz.png

Attachments

• Focal Elegia RME EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz.txt
    325 bytes · Views: 210
  • Focal Elegia APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz.txt
    429 bytes · Views: 242

Draculr

With EQ this was one of my favourite headphones. Amir's listening notes seem to match my experience exactly.

Although I despise the focal headband design so I got rid of it. Why put alcantara on the headband and also make it non-replaceable? Not only does it look gross it's probably not very hygienic and any attempts to clean it just seems to cause pitting.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a nasty and pretty un'EQable frequency response if you're looking for a close adherence to the Harman Curve through the whole frequency range (nasty sharp dips above 3kHz). I'd vote this between "Poor" and "Not Terrible", whilst really only taking "Not Terrible" into consideration because of Amir's positive listening review after EQ.

Anmol

Forum Donor
Excellent headphones.
Hard to beat in this price range with Oratory's EQ Settings + Dekoni Stellia Pads...

View attachment 164497
you feel focal is a better value than dan clark at less?

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Definitive.
Like all DCA (including stealth), the model you mentioned sounds just boring.
The DCAs have little to do with dynamism and energy.
The DCAs are excellent for acoustics and vocals, whereas the Elegia can do everything

Bow_Wazoo

based on both reviews, seems like this one is better than the newer, more expense, Celestee..... may be Stelia killer as well?
I had both.
The Stellia is more hi-fi and sounds more realistic.
However, it has a major disadvantage compared to the Elegia.
The bass has significantly less punch and slam. You can't compensate for that with the EQ ...

20210906-112039_1116657.jpg

Last edited:

theoblue80

I had both. The Stellia is more hi-fi and sounds more realistic. However, it has a major disadvantage compared to the Stellia. The bass has significantly less punch and slam. You can't compensate for that with the EQ ...

View attachment 164502
I fully agree with you about the sound comparison of DCA and Elegia.
Since you had both Stellia and Elegia, and taking into account that nowadays you can find a new Elegia at less than 500USD/Euros, where would you put a fair price for Stellia in comparison to that of Elegia taking into account the sound superiority of Stellia?

PS. Although I find the sound of Elegia more exciting than that of DCA, I have to admit that DCA have a more relaxing sound for long listening sessions, especially if you combine it with work.

milosz

Forum Donor
Since this is audio SCIENCE review I assume that you use measurements to set up your EQ profile, and then do measurements after EQ to confirm that the EQ actually corrected the deficiency? I'd like to see the post-EQ curve plotted.

If you are doing the EQ by ear, then maybe this blog should be called "audio semi-scientific review." Just sayin'.

Skinner001

Since this is audio SCIENCE review I assume that you use measurements to set up your EQ profile, and then do measurements after EQ to confirm that the EQ actually corrected the deficiency? I'd like to see the post-EQ curve plotted.

If you are doing the EQ by ear, then maybe this blog should be called "audio semi-scientific review." Just sayin'.
You have enough posts here for me to assume you know how to use search and find out that this has been asked and answered on many threads.

Even if not, just by looking at the EQ you can see it directly addresses the measured deviations as in every review here, so it's not by ear.

So either trolling or refusing to use your brain (assuming the capacity exists).

peniku8

Forum Donor
I have not. Here it is:
"Bass I Love You" on the list, amazing. Really didn't expect to see that one on the list, did you ever get anything out of the 8Hz burst in the track? :D
Might go add Curtain Shaker too while you're at it, the HT DIY guys love it ;)

PeteL

Major Contributor
you feel focal is a better value than dan clark at less?
I don't have the Stelia but for me the problem with DCA or most planars for that matter is the necessity of a good amp to drive them. It highly limit versatility, I have a good amp at my desk, but quite often the situation ask for plugging straight into an I Pad or laptop. Dan Clark will perform poorly at that. "value" is really something that depends on peoples needs.

Bow_Wazoo

I had both.
The Stellia is more hi-fi and sounds more realistic.
The bass has significantly less punch and slam. You can't compensate for that with the EQ ...

View attachment 164502
There was a typo in my post.
It should be called:

Not to the Stellia

theoblue80

There was a typo in my post.
It should be called:

Not to the Stellia
I am totally impressed that the flagship closed-back Focal headphone lacks one of the most characteristic attributes of Focal headphones, i.e. punch and slam!

Skinner001

I am totally impressed that the flagship closed-back Focal headphone lacks one of the most characteristic attributes of Focal headphones, i.e. punch and slam!
Mhm, mhm, punch, slam, getting kicked in the nuts, fairy dust floating all around and all that poorly defined, inconsistently used language...
But, hey, that type of stuff is consistently making Focals overhyped and overpriced, which meant when I sold my Clears, I did so with only a non-significant financial loss :)

Haven't been punched or slammed by a Focal, and consider the low end no more impressive than a lot of other, cheaper options out there. Measurements confirm that out of the box they're nothing to write home about, there are also reliability issues and the collaboration with Drop on the Elex is just awful in that department.

But as long as some of these goofy subjective reviewers cream their pants after being slammed by Focals, they'll keep their price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom