• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Elegia Review (Closed Back Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 32 15.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 98 45.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 59 27.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 11.7%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry but ; yes they are dac/amp picky. Maybe i am fool, uneducated or unexprienced but i am tested with my own ears and equipment. Yes they are picky and i heard more differences based on different chipset and amplifier sections.
Sometimes I think I can tell the difference between my G6 DAC & JDS Labs Atom headphone amp vs my phone & Apple dongle, but it varies occasionally when I listen, sometimes music just sounds better to me on different days or at different times, it's really hard to compare DACS and amps, as in there are other factors associated with yourself in terms of what mood you're in, etc, that will make you more receptive to the music & make it sound better - so if you're comparing DACS & amps then you have to be super rigorous about it in terms of level matching and quickly switching between them, which is not that easy to do - I've never done it - I have enough faith in the measurements that I'd be surprised if I can tell the difference between two good to excellent measuring DACS/headphone amps on here....so I explain away my fluctuating perceptions based on personal mood at that time & maybe other factors like having a cold or I'm tired, or my ears have been a bit more abused than normal that day, that kind of thing. Those are all better reasons to explain away the supposed perceived differences between good to excellent measuring DACS/amps.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Headphones are "DAC picky"? Please stop this foolery.
I suspect poster is referring to all in one units or dongles. So for some headphones I suppose power limitations or impedance mismatches might come into play with some AIO or dongles.

zepplock

I suspect poster is referring to all in one units or dongles. So for some headphones I suppose power limitations or impedance mismatches might come into play with some AIO or dongles.
Possibly, the things you described are more amp issues though. Often people use amp/dac interchangeably, specially with "dongles" kind of devices.

Stilgar

Yes :) i try to explain my subjective listening thoughts. Otherwise not tecnically speaking foe dacs amp or etc.

FenderStrappedKid

Just purchased these for 210USD inc. tax. My father had some that I've borrowed, and as someone who was previously using the (very uncomfortable) Focal Listens, I loved them. I thought 210USD was a steal even despite them not necessarily being 10/10 headphones. Would you guys say it was worth it for that price? I'll look into getting the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads at some point too, as I've seen you guys recommend them. Also, would anyone have any recommendations for an extension cable? I sit at my desk pretty far away from my DENON PMA-2000AE and am currently using a ****** cheap Amazon cable. Thanks all.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you guys say it was worth it for that price?
I bought mine around 700€ and I think they are worth this price.
It's very nice closed headphones, once EQed.

And I don't think I should change earpads.

The cable, yes, for sure. The shipped cable is a pain.
Don't take 3m cable though: it's just too long.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Thanks for the reply! This is the one I'm using, I believe. No concerns about it colouring the signal? My local HiFi store is trying to sell me on an extension cable 10x the price.
The cable won’t make a difference. Run away from the hifi store.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply! This is the one I'm using, I believe. No concerns about it colouring the signal? My local HiFi store is trying to sell me on an extension cable 10x the price.

Just say no.

There will be no improvement.

I have had the Elegias for several years, and I really like them.

pk500

The consensus best Dekoni pad for the Elegia is the Stellia Custom, not the Fenestrated Sheepskin. Your mileage may vary.

And, hell yes, run from that expensive cable!

Beati3

Thank you, @amirm. Very helpful, as always. I'm a bargain hunter, and with Elegia on sale in Dec '23 for $329 ... Australian dollars, I can justify forking out the cash for something I know can be easily made superb. I'd never pay the AU$1,399 for headphones, but $329 ... for sure. Thank you!

smallricey

Sorry but ; yes they are dac/amp picky. Maybe i am fool, uneducated or unexprienced but i am tested with my own ears and equipment. Yes they are picky and i heard more differences based on different chipset and amplifier sections.
Did you use EQ as well? How would they be DAC picky if you could just change the sound by software?

zepplock

Did you use EQ as well? How would they be DAC picky if you could just change the sound by software?
No headphones are picky if you have good gear.
There are exceptions like OTL tube amps and low impedance headphones. But elegia works fine with any new good amplifiers.
And of course has nothing to do with DACs, it's ridiculous.

Stilgar

I tried some eq settings and I am not satisfied with elegy. I sold them after 5 months. now I am going with sennheiser hd5x and Sony mdr1am2

Top Bottom