• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Electra Be series vs Kanta series...

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Any thoughts as to whether one would be better for a family room setup for movies and music? I'm looking at the Electra 1038 Be or the Kanta 2, which are showing up at similar prices on the used market. Some say the Electra series is too bright, while others say they are just fine and will just faithfully reproduce any treble content that is fed to them. Others say the Kanta has Focal's most recent IAL tweeter and that it is better sounding. Then there is the question of flax drivers vs W cones.

And what about bass performance? I kind of like that the 1038 Be has three woofers, vs the Kanta's two woofers. The 1038 is also a bit more efficient, at a claimed 93 dB . They will be driven by a Krell FPB 400cx, so plenty of power is available. Yes, I understand that Revel measures a bit better, but please let's keep this to the two speakers in question.

Has anybody had direct experience or any other thoughts? Thanks.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I would get Kantas over anything else in this price range. My thought is that the relatively new to market Kanta with its molded advanced baffle is likely better sounding. I probably would get Kantas over the more expensive Sopra too, unless the Sopra had real wood veneer I couldn't live without.

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
Thanks for the advice. The Kantas do sound good. I just wondered if the 1038Be would better them noticeably in bass extension. Maybe not for in-room performance. If the 1038 will not offer better bass or dynamics, then I guess there's no reason to get them. I do see that the 1038 is more efficient, although not by that much.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks for the advice. The Kantas do sound good. I just wondered if the 1038Be would better them noticeably in bass extension. Maybe not for in-room performance. If the 1038 will not offer better bass or dynamics, then I guess there's no reason to get them. I do see that the 1038 is more efficient, although not by that much.
I would think 2 8 inch drivers (Kanta 3) vs 3 7 inch drivers (1038) should be pretty close, possibly with the edge to the bigger cones. Both cabinets are big. My 948s are similar cone setup to Kantas and they play nice and deep. Kanta has the most advanced baffle tech in the Focal lineup.

I did see some 1038Be for $6k on Audiogon... I would do that over spending a lot more on Kantas, so it might come down to street prices in your used market. I would be willing to pay a little more for Kanta but not 50% more.

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
I would think 2 8 inch drivers (Kanta 3) vs 3 7 inch drivers (1038) should be pretty close, possibly with the edge to the bigger cones. Both cabinets are big. My 948s are similar cone setup to Kantas and they play nice and deep. Kanta has the most advanced baffle tech in the Focal lineup.

I did see some 1038Be for $6k on Audiogon... I would do that over spending a lot more on Kantas, so it might come down to street prices in your used market. I would be willing to pay a little more for Kanta but not 50% more.
Yes, I was mainly comparing Kanta 2 to the 1038Be, since used Kanta 2 are showing up around the same price. Kanta 3 would be ideal for me, but nice used sets are rare and still over the $10k price point. So, Kanta 2, or 1038Be? Which to choose?:confused:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Yes, I was mainly comparing Kanta 2 to the 1038Be, since used Kanta 2 are showing up around the same price. Kanta 3 would be ideal for me, but nice used sets are rare and still over the $10k price point. So, Kanta 2, or 1038Be? Which to choose?:confused:
I would still get Kanta. More advanced design.

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
I listened to the 1038be multiple times.
I didn't liked the trebble.

I own pairs or Aria 948 and 906.
Just to be clear, I wrote: "some say the Electra series is too bright".

Thanks for your first hand experience!

Rotel

I have been listening to Focal 1038BE speakers for 14 months. I never felt its sound be too bright. No matter how long you listen, your ears don't get tired. I will never sell it.

Top Bottom