• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Diablo utopia vs kef r3 vs kef reference 1?

• Thread starter Deleted member 51459
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

delta76

Major Contributor
how you spend your money is none of my business, really, but skimming over your post history (as @HarmonicTHD collected) it seems you are on a buying spree without knowing what you really need. I strongly suggest to take a step back (or two), and slow down. Set a budget for your audio system, and start from there. fresh if you would like (return your R3 etc.)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Again, I urge you to get your new expensive NAD amp and give it a good listening period with the R3s before you make yet another post about yet another uptick need or impulsively order something else. Take some time with your equipment, get to know it. Your ears need to be given time to hear.

And some attempt to treat the environment and speaker response.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
how you spend your money is none of my business, really, but skimming over your post history (as @HarmonicTHD collected) it seems you are on a buying spree without knowing what you really need. I strongly suggest to take a step back (or two), and slow down. Set a budget for your audio system, and start from there. fresh if you would like (return your R3 etc.)

I disagree. Buy everything you can think of. The secondhand market needs you.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

I disagree. Buy everything you can think of. The secondhand market needs you.
There is none secondary used market in my country, for expensive high end gear also as company accountant expense i need to keep the item for at least 2 years before sale.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
There is none secondary used market in my country, for expensive high end gear also as company accountant expense i need to keep the item for at least 2 years before sale.

I'm playing the long game. Those Diablos will still be fabulous in another couple of years. :)

Bren Derlin

Hi everyone i own kef r3 , made in china not happy with their performance ,but they was cheap price i also have m33 from nad,
brand new all.

i am considering upgrading kef r3 to either kef reference 1 meta or non i understand that i will gain extremely low benefit doing this not sure how much better is their quality, i cant hear them not available dealership where i live to test ot try them , they can only order them.

In my car i have focal utopia speakers and tweeters and i really like them , so i am highly considering FOCAL diablo utopia , i cant try or test them as well, how much better are there when its compared to kef r3 , and kef reference 1 meta and non meta? i cant find any review here about focal i like focal.

i have space for bookshelves only.
You're not happy with the KEF R3, even though you haven't hooked them up to the M33 that hasn't arrived at your door step.

This comparison could have probably waited until you had everything hooked up and spent time listening.

Are there any other related threads we're missing?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
OP
D

Deleted member 51459

I am looking into focal professional line,

why they are not included into the forum charts here are they terrible all of them or?

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Amirm reviewed and recommended the Focal Solo6 Be https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/focal-solo6-be-review-studio-monitor.25407/
From the looks of it, they're Focal's top monitor in the professional line.
They look nice,
but i think these speakers are active,

if i get them what i will do with my nad m33 , throw it in the bin?
i need speakers which i can power with my amplifier, why i have bought amp if i buy again wireless or active speakers..
i dont see point... are they better than sopra and kanta n1?

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They're probably comparable. I doubt you'd be disappointed with Kanta N1s, we just don't have measurements for them because nobody has sent one to amirm for measurement. But as plenty of others have said, you'll get a more substantial result with some DSP and room treatment.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

They're probably comparable. I doubt you'd be disappointed with Kanta N1s, we just don't have measurements for them because nobody has sent one to amirm for measurement. But as plenty of others have said, you'll get a more substantial result with some DSP and room treatment.
Does focal have studio model simular to this solo 6 - or same but without integrated amp inside? so i can use my amp? i think studio focals are worth the price - price per quality is much better compared to kanta and sopra , both kanta and sopra are at least 5000$ or more...
i asked for a price here...
studio speakers are much less/cheaper. and i get same technologies like berylium + w cone.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
so i am screwed, i need to sale everything and start from scratch...
i just payed 6000$ for my nad m33 series amp,
Sigh* You need to slow down a bit in your effort to find the final system you desire. :D You are all over the map sometimes and it's making this a difficult effort/journey rather than a enjoyable drive to the end result. Relax, don't be in such a hurry to get this stereo gear and after a few sleeps it will make more sense and you will feel better about your purchases..

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Sigh* You need to slow down and bit in your effort to find the final system you desire. :D You are all over the map sometimes and it's making this a difficult effort/journey rather than a enjoyable drive to the end result. Relax, don't be in such a hurry to get this stereo gear and after a few sleeps it will make more sense and you will feel better about your purchases..
i am more confused than ever.
in the end i will probably go wireless again.... saves tons of space..
and easier to tune...
its already tuned.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
i am more confused than ever.
in the end i will probably go wireless again.... saves tons of space..
and easier to tune...
its already tuned.
No, they won't be "tuned": it's just that the setup path to a successful system is a bit different. The reason for me mentioning the Focal near field speakers is that if you do decide to move to Focals, you will be better off with those speakers than the home models which aren't designed for what you are trying to do.

Don't be "confused" for now. You just need to absolutely concentrate on learning to set up the M33 and R3 for best results in your situation.

To pick up on something else I saw you write, as well, you need to have the speakers further away from you than they are, and you need to aim as a starting point to have each speaker the same distance from you, as best you can, and slightly forwards of the very back corners of the desk for preference.

It seems they need to be raised off the desk a bit and ideally tilted so the tweeters are pointing to your ear height where you are: experiment with toe-in. From what I've read elsewhere now you are best with the stands recommended in your other thread, but even a couple of thick paperback books under them will help to start with (smaller than the base of the speaker, but make sure they are large enough to be stable). Pretty much any speaker not specially designed to sit on a desk will need a stand, and those that are designed to sit on a desk require a sturdy desk to work.

Have you read the other threads about R3 speaker setup here yet? I'm not going looking for them for you. There's a search option here.

Until you understand how to make what you have not sound terrible (even if it is still not what you want), you won't make anything else sound really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom