• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Clear vs DT1990, which one?

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a good seal and im using eq, while you were listening to it at some event with suboptimal conditions. The elegia is several classes above the dt1990 and stomps it in everything amd anything. But yeah, have fun with your "can jam" impression and your dt1770
Ok, I probably came out like I'm trying to put you down and that's not my intention. Sorry. My point is that you asked for opinions on the Clear, and got a strong recommendation from many people towards the Clear. And then went on to buy Elegia, I'm guessing thinking they will be similar but closed. But I really don't think they are. They sound very different from each other. Personally, I think the Elegia sounds worse, but there are also those who say the opposite. In any case, I don't believe you are getting the Clear sound you have been recommended. Just take that into account.

3125b

Major Contributor
Be glad you didn't go with the Dt 1990, that one underwhelmed me even in direct comparison to much cheaper (<150€ cheap) headphones like the DT 880 and AKG K702.
The sounding with boosted base and Beyer-peak is just ... at that price point, I don`t get it.
They are very nicely made from high quality materials, but thats about it.

Archsam

Ok, I probably came out like I'm trying to put you down and that's not my intention. Sorry. My point is that you asked for opinions on the Clear, and got a strong recommendation from many people towards the Clear. And then went on to buy Elegia, I'm guessing thinking they will be similar but closed. But I really don't think they are. They sound very different from each other. Personally, I think the Elegia sounds worse, but there are also those who say the opposite. In any case, I don't believe you are getting the Clear sound you have been recommended. Just take that into account.

Yeah.... I went to audition the Elegia a few years ago, and when I left the shop a few hours later I bought a pair of Clear.

Also listened to a pair of Audeze LCD-2 during that same session, did not like it at all (too dark / veiled in the mid for my taste). Fast forward to 2 weeks ago I took delivery of a pair of LCD-X, and they are so, so much better than the LCD-2 - a rather perfect compliment to the Clear, I think.

So I learned that while different models from the same company can share a similar sound signature, it doesn't necessary scale up / down in a liner fashion as you might think.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gotta defend the DT1990PRO because I use it at least 4 hours a day for mastering in post-production, and gotta say, I love them because they are voiced perfectly for my needs, comfortable as heck, and neutral. I need the to hear vocals clearly, and this does the job while providing accurate bass representation (no boost). It's important you use the right ear pads to "voice" the sound to your taste - one pad is flatter than the other.

OP
N

nhatlam96

I'm happy that you like the elegia. But I would go with original aeon closed any day. Maybe a second hand oppo pm3. Higher end offerings of original ether c and stellia are also very good.
At least you are using EQ with elegia so that's good.
I dont know if you guys even read through those 3 links I have posted. I think in terms of technicalities between elegia and aeon closed, there isnt much of a difference, just the FR and personal taste. I dont know your experience with Focal Elegia, I can only hope you had a good seal or the Sheepskin pads which I have right now, which makes a very significant difference + EQ.

OP
N

nhatlam96

Gotta defend the DT1990PRO because I use it at least 4 hours a day for mastering in post-production, and gotta say, I love them because they are voiced perfectly for my needs, comfortable as heck, and neutral. I need the to hear vocals clearly, and this does the job while providing accurate bass representation (no boost). It's important you use the right ear pads to "voice" the sound to your taste - one pad is flatter than the other.
I was mainly talking about music enjoyment between DT1990 and Elegia, I dont know anything about mastering. You can read through those links I have posted earlier before defending the DT1990 against me.

OP
N

nhatlam96

Be glad you didn't go with the Dt 1990, that one underwhelmed me even in direct comparison to much cheaper (<150€ cheap) headphones like the DT 880 and AKG K702.
The sounding with boosted base and Beyer-peak is just ... at that price point, I don`t get it.
They are very nicely made from high quality materials, but thats about it.
If you would have read through those 3 links I have mentioned, then you would knew I had the DT1990 for several months.
You are right, in terms of technicalities, there isnt much of a difference between DT1990 and the other midtier options.
I had the HD58X, HD598, DT990 and DT1990.
The only thing that the DT1990 really shines in is the amazing fast driver, it was very nice for metal, fast decay on the reverb.
Read through my links to know more about my opinion on the technicalities of the DT1990.
The elegia was so much superior, that I felt mad going for the DT1990.

OP
N

nhatlam96

"Would have been better off with a DT1770", yeah sorry to have misintepreted you lol, totally "sorry". So ignorant about the fact, that I had the DT1990 beforehand and compared them A/B, because you did not read through my links and then still recommended me a DT1770, which is obviously inferior to the Elegia for me. Anyways, In this thread I was only asking "DT1990 or Clear, which one better?". I would be happy with anything that would be better than the DT1990 - and I found my closed back headphone.
I did research on those headphones and found a good deal and am totally satisfied with the result, because they are so much better than the DT1990 and are worth the price in my opinion.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was mainly talking about music enjoyment between DT1990 and Elegia, I dont know anything about mastering. You can read through those links I have posted earlier before defending the DT1990 against me.
LOL nothing against you, just wanted throw in some balanced conversation. Sometimes a product gets piled on by a specific fan base because they all share a similar expectation/taste, and for the benefit of future readers who may look into this thread out of curiosity, and hear nothing good about the DT1990! It's to add balance to this thread.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Some like this, others like that.
Such is life.
There is no best headphone, there is a best headphone for each and everyone. They won't be the same ones though.

tommyst

I found out about the 1990 pro that it scales dramatically in sound quality with better equipment. Since I upgraded from O2/Odac to SMSL M500+Sp200 it gave a huge improvement in bass, dynamics and overall it sounded not so bright anymore. But still in some songs the highs are still over emphasized due to the Beyer peak. I could live with that, because overall the 1990 pro sounds great to me. The dynamics of the drivers are awesome and I really like the fast dry bass and the clarity of sound.
But now I found a simple solution to reduce the highs. I cuted out round pieces of felt from a protective mask and puted them under the earpads. The highs get tamed significantly and it sounds better for me now.
However still I'm curious how does the 1990 compare to focal clear. I guess if one likes the sound signature of the 1990 pro the focal clear could be the higher tier upgrade. Considering the price its almost three times more expensive. Also spare earpads from clear cost about 200 euro! I didn't get a chance to listen to the clears yet. On the other side for me the 1990 pro sounds great already.
Has anyone compared both side by side and stayed with 1990 pro or is the clear really a big step up?

Jokerr

I have only found this comparison so far and Im looking for more opinions between those two headphones.
I can get the Focal Clear for 750€ and wonder if I should pull the trigger.
My other pick would have been the Ananda, but the lack of comfort and built is unacceptable at this price segment.
The Clear. 750€. Incredible bargain

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone compared both side by side and stayed with 1990 pro or is the clear really a big step up?

If I get chance I will do just that tomorrow . More interesting than the work I have lined up. What kind of music do you listen to?

monkeyboy

The frequency response of the 1990s looks better on the high end. Some people find them "bright", it's probably easier to just add some cut filters via EQ to the 1990 than to clean up the Clear's choppy high end....

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If I get chance I will do just that tomorrow . More interesting than the work I have lined up. What kind of music do you listen to?

@tommyst OK- listened to both. Totally unscientific subjective impressions- one dac feeding 2 amps simultaneously (a THX 789 for the Clear, balanced and the Topping L30 for the 1990s so both measured as transparent)- volumes not "matched" by measurements , but in the same ballpark by listening. All EQ disabled. Warning, I am rubbish at describing sound. And this is comparing the 2 noting areas of difference, rather than trying to review either. DT1990 had the A (analytical) pads

IMO its not a fair fight- the Clears just sound better. Far better separation of instruments. More balanced sound.

Both are comfortable to wear, very well built but you notice the Clear weight more. I have had them a month or so and never had neck ache from headphones before them. I do now.

I got the 1990 from Amazon warehouse for around £300 ages ago and the Clear from ebay £800 (so still 3x as much used as new). At those prices I consider the Clear just about acceptable- but not at RRP- no HP is worth that. Its not 3x as good, of course. Look at it another way. If you shopped around you could get an older Sennheiser HD800 and a 1990 second hand for about the price of a used Clear which would be a better buy. If you had 4 ears.

Subject to EQ on the 1990, they are both good headphones, but the Clear is superior. Is my 2 cents.

Objectivist01

Uff the jump to LCD3 might be too much for me in terms of financials. Gonna wait a few years. How was the sound between Clear and LCD3?
Seeing the one audeze measurement here makes me think the whole company is a scam

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Seeing the one audeze measurement here makes me think the whole company is a scam

How is selling well built headphones that have minimal distortion a scam? Not a great frequency response as stock, no doubt. Overpriced, for sure, But scam?

Care to elaborate?

John Dyson

LOL nothing against you, just wanted throw in some balanced conversation. Sometimes a product gets piled on by a specific fan base because they all share a similar expectation/taste, and for the benefit of future readers who may look into this thread out of curiosity, and hear nothing good about the DT1990! It's to add balance to this thread.

It is so important in my technical project to find distortion and other signal defects. This is especially true where I am working with audio processing with a 'tricky spot' at 9kHz. A 'bright' but otherwise balanced set of headphones is very helpful to me. I happen to use DT770/80 Pro, but would probably be happy with anything that doesn't have a high end is too mellow, or fake bass. (strong true bass is okay, but boomy bass isn't.)

The DT1990 is probably really good when you want to hear the smallest details in that critical audio frequency region, and especially with my own hearing which is seeing the impact of age.

John

Objectivist01

How is selling well built headphones that have minimal distortion a scam? Not a great frequency response as stock, no doubt. Overpriced, for sure, But scam?

Care to elaborate?
You get better frequency response on a hd 600 at less than a quarter of its price. So audeze is just using its marketing gimmick of its special materials for a heavy headphone whihc sounds worse than the hd600 at a huge price. Its a scam. I am baffled by the number of idiots who fall for it.

Top Bottom