• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Clear vs DT1990, which one?

N

nhatlam96

I have only found this comparison so far and Im looking for more opinions between those two headphones.
I can get the Focal Clear for 750€ and wonder if I should pull the trigger.
My other pick would have been the Ananda, but the lack of comfort and built is unacceptable at this price segment.

OP
N

nhatlam96

Could you guys explain? Im very interested, because the Focal Clears is literally my only option when it comes to availability, price and built. The Focal Elex on drop doesnt even ship to Germany, it's so sad

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The case is clear.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Choosing the clear should be clear.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I owned the DT1990 and heard the Clear at an audio show. I was clearly the better headphone. I ultimately chose Audeze LCD-3 based upon hearing the LCD-X at the same show on the same setup. I bought a used LCD-3 for just a little more than 750€/$810.

Martin

OP
N

nhatlam96

I owned the DT1990 and heard the Clear at an audio show. I was clearly the better headphone. I ultimately chose Audeze LCD-3 based upon hearing the LCD-X at the same show on the same setup. I bought a used LCD-3 for just a little more than 750€/$810.

Martin
Uff the jump to LCD3 might be too much for me in terms of financials. Gonna wait a few years. How was the sound between Clear and LCD3?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMHO the LCD-X and Clear are very close, as close as dynamic and planar headphones can get. I felt the Clears had a bit more impact while the LCD-X had more spaciousness. Both are very nicely balanced with strong bass, a sweet mid-range and clear, non-sibilant highs. The 3 has just a bit more on the high end and soundstage over the X. I’d be very happy with Focal Clears.

Martin

OP
N

nhatlam96

IMHO the LCD-X and Clear are very close, as close as dynamic and planar headphones can get. I felt the Clears had a bit more impact while the LCD-X had more spaciousness. Both are very nicely balanced with strong bass, a sweet mid-range and clear, non-sibilant highs. The 3 has just a bit more on the high end and soundstage over the X. I’d be very happy with Focal Clears.

Martin
What would be your next headphone as upgrade to the LCD3?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What would be your next headphone as upgrade to the LCD3?
I’m done :cool:

Well I intended the LCD-3 as my end game but just bought a used pair of Focal Clears. :p (I got a deal I could not pass up. Not as good as yours but close.) I just could not get them out of my mind after hearing them in February. I love the LCD-3s but they are currently at Audeze being repaired; one of the wood cups cracked. :oops: Once they're back I plan to do a lot of comparing between the two to decide if I want to keep them both, or sell one.

Did you get the Clears and, if so, how do you like them?

Martin

OP
N

nhatlam96

Fluffy

Aw man… the Clear is my endgame headphone. I listened to the Elegia in canjam, and compared to the clear is horrendous. Heck, as a closed headphone it just sounds bad. They might look similar, but they share none of the qualities. Would have been better off getting the DT1770 if you wanted a closed headphone.

OP
N

nhatlam96

Aw man… the Clear is my endgame headphone. I listened to the Elegia in canjam, and compared to the clear is horrendous. Heck, as a closed headphone it just sounds bad. They might look similar, but they share none of the qualities. Would have been better off getting the DT1770 if you wanted a closed headphone.
I have a good seal and im using eq, while you were listening to it at some event with suboptimal conditions. The elegia is several classes above the dt1990 and stomps it in everything amd anything. But yeah, have fun with your "can jam" impression and your dt1770

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'm happy that you like the elegia. But I would go with original aeon closed any day. Maybe a second hand oppo pm3. Higher end offerings of original ether c and stellia are also very good.
At least you are using EQ with elegia so that's good.

Top Bottom