• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Clear Professional Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 50 27.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 95 51.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 12 6.6%

• Total voters

Hubentus

AFAIK it is hitting the chassis/magnet, so basically hard clipping on one side of the signal.
The suspension is very supple so large excursions (lowest frequencies) can easily occur. There seems to be some product tolerances as well or people are driving it louder than they think they are.
There's definitely some people driving them to high volume! It must be a feature of the headphone community.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
People are sometimes easily hitting >115 dB peaks (in the bass) without realizing it.
116dB SPL is reached even when driving it from a phone (1V).
Amir noticed the clipping at 114dB already.
Boosting the low bass will get you there quickly. I don't think it needs much bass boost anyway.

Hubentus

People are sometimes easily hitting >115 dB peaks (in the bass) without realizing it.
116dB SPL is reached even when driving it from a phone (1V).
Amir noticed the clipping at 114dB already.
Boosting the low bass will get you there quickly. I don't think it needs much bass boost anyway.
I'm not sure how this works in practice. I listen to the Clears at about -20dB on a Topping DX5 at Lo Gain thru APO/PEACE and Windows sound mixer at 100%. If I put on a track with torture testing sub bass I don't turn up the volume to try and blast the headphones. So if my normal SPL is about 80-85dB with full spectrum music, then I do the same with the sub bass tracks mentioned on these forums. So how would I get to 115dB?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'm not sure how this works in practice. I listen to the Clears at about -20dB on a Topping DX5 at Lo Gain thru APO/PEACE and Windows sound mixer at 100%. If I put on a track with torture testing sub bass I don't turn up the volume to try and blast the headphones. So if my normal SPL is about 80-85dB with full spectrum music, then I do the same with the sub bass tracks mentioned on these forums. So how would I get to 115dB?

Topping DX5 0dBFS is 8.5V in the bass for Clear.
At -20dB it will reach 0.85V = 114.5dB peaks.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Low gain = 2.1V out max. so at -20dB in low gain mode peak SPL is 102dB

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Just realized SE and balanced is the same output... XLR is for convenience only.

Hubentus

Low gain = 2.1V out max. so at -20dB in low gain mode peak SPL is 102dB
Thanks for that. I also realised that much of my listening is with Windows sound mixer at around 75% as well. So that's Topping DX5 Lo Gain, -20dB, Windows 75%. What does the 75% do to the 102dB at 100%?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
-2.5dB so 99.5dB peaks and somewhere between 75dB and 85dB average depending on the recording. These are comfortable to comfortable loud listening levels.
The driver should never crackle at these levels.

mr.at

Yes, TBH I think it's a fail-safe to avoid diaphragm de-shaping. I've never hit clipping levels, and I'm a loud listener. People must be really pushing these beyond expected levels. It's a fool-proof. I think they ought to be glad it's there.

Top Bottom