• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Clear ear pads replacement that dont change sound signature

marv

Hi all, just curious, if anybody has found less expensive replacement pads for the Clears that do NOT change the sound signature? i figured sooner one will have to replace their stock pads, the original Clear pads go for 200 i think.. Has anybody, especially Focal Clear owners, who has found aftermarket replacement that doesn't cost that that much?

I heard, none of the Dekoni pads preserve the stock sound signature.. Is it true?

thanks for any insights on this topic

Oppotunist

The most in the direction are the bowers &Wilkins p7. I had the same. Just stick it with double side tape . They are real sheep leather and if you don't shave them time to time they become woolly .

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why do you want to replace them? if you are fearing wear, I can testify that the pads on my Clear are as perfect as they were out of the box, and I have them for a year and a half now. I gave them a gentle wash one time because they started to smell from building up of sweat, but other than that there are no issues. Comfort wise, I have yet to come across a more comfortable set of pads, honestly.

I got from Dekoni the Elite Sheepskin pads, that give them a different sound signature (slightly darker). Though I think they are less comfortable.

OP
M

marv

Why do you want to replace them? if you are fearing wear, I can testify that the pads on my Clear are as perfect as they were out of the box, and I have them for a year and a half now. I gave them a gentle wash one time because they started to smell from building up of sweat, but other than that there are no issues. Comfort wise, I have yet to come across a more comfortable set of pads, honestly.

I got from Dekoni the Elite Sheepskin pads, that give them a different sound signature (slightly darker). Though I think they are less comfortable.
how did you wash them? mine are still new.. a month or so . ...but just figured if there are cheaper options that i can consider in the future

Fluffy

You can pull them out pretty easily - hold the fabric in one hand and the cup in the other, and give a good pull. they are held together by simple plastic pins, meant for easy removal. After that, I took a towel, warm water and some laundry detergent and gave them a good scrub. Waited several days for them to dry out, and they were good as new.

Oppotunist

I use a simple cleaning paper tissue ,those one you while of tables etc . You only have to clean the surface and kill some bacteria . To much water remove the oil inside the foam that makes them memory foam and then they look like an old scrotum. Not a pleasant look on your face isn't ?

Oppotunist

That's the cleaning tissue I ment

Attachments

• Doekjes-Lidl.jpg
    Doekjes-Lidl.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 587

LearningToSmile

I own a pair of Elears and wanted to buy a pair of Clear pads to try out the Elex sound, so I was interested in the topic. The theoretical cheapest way would be the Focal Elex pads from Drop(which are Clear pads in a different color) at $70, but sadly there are some issues with that idea:
  • haven't been in stock for a while and might not be coming back
  • last time they were in stock they shipped single pads to people who paid for a pair(they were rectifying that and offering refunds for those who wanted them but still)
  • last time they were in stock, the pads at least some people received were different than the pads that come with the Elex, despite advertising them as the same exact thing
And all the non-focal pads change the sound. So in the end I don't think there's a way to avoid spending at least around $150, which is cheapest I've seen the original Clear pads. I personally gave up on the idea of switching the pads, just not worth it for me when I paid $400 for the headphones themselves, and ended up enjoying their sound a ton anyway.

OP
M

marv

gave them a good scrub
wouldn't the scrubbing damage the microfiber skin of the ear pads? i have seen pictures of focal clears on the net where the microfibers were scuffy and torn

OP
M

marv

You're imagining things, buddy.
were you offended? i didnt think you would take it negatively.. I didnt say that you did something wrong. I just said it SLIGHTLY changed the texture....But still, i apologize if you got offended...im just saying my observations that's all... no harm intended

this is what my ear pads look like.

Attachments

• photo_2020-07-03_18-48-41.jpg
    photo_2020-07-03_18-48-41.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 1,758
Last edited:

Fluffy

I just don't think your observation is correct. but it's not entirely your fault – my phone has a pretty crappy camera, and it adds all sorts of noise and artifacts. If you'll zoom in to my picture you'll see that what looks like different texture is weird artifacts of image processing.

To the naked eye they are pretty similar. Granted, my pads do look more used, and that's because they are. The point is, me washing the pads in the way I described didn't by itself hurt them in any way. Time and usage are the prime factor In whatever degradation there is.

OP
M

marv

The point is, me washing the pads in the way I described didn't by itself hurt them in any way. Time and usage are the prime factor In whatever degradation there is.
that's good to hear.. then it means the pads can hold up to washing, which i plan to do if i cannot find any decent alternative when the need arises... i would love to have leather as an earpad but if it alters the sound in any drastic way.. i would not even consider it.. how was your experience with the Dekoni pads? can you share your thoughts? thanks

Fluffy

As I said, I have the Dekoni elite sheepskin pads. My experience is that they have a number of minor effects – they make the sound a bit darker by having more meat in the bass and less presence in lower treble. They also make the imaging a bit less coherent and the sound less forward. My theory as to why these effects happen is that because the sheep skin is more reflective than the perforated microfiber, and also stiffer and with a smoother surface. Therefore, it traps more bass energy on one hand, but also reflect some high frequencies that results in a messier wave front.

The changes as I said are minute, but it's enough to "ruin" the exciting sound signature that makes the clear so great. I use them sometimes when I want a more relaxed sound with less edge.

I'll add that one time at a show, I had the selection of all the focal headphones and their pads, so I experimented in switching around the different pads. It wasn't a thorough test because I had like half an hour, but it was enough to get a general feeling. I think all the focal pads are excellent, and they each impart a slightly different sound signature on the clear. The Elear pads are also microfiber but they are not perforated, so they sound a bit darker because the bass gets trapped more. The Utopia pads are perforated lamb skin and they are also more bassy, but with less loss of coherence. I feel the normal Clear pads are still the best ones for that headphone, because they bring out their best characteristics.

Overall their pads are indeed pricy, but they are also extremely high quality. Going the aftermarket rout may cost less, but it’s a gamble whether they would preserve the sound signature or would be as comfortable.

OP
M

marv

Overall their pads are indeed pricy, but they are also extremely high quality. Going the aftermarket rout may cost less, but it’s a gamble whether they would preserve the sound signature or would be as comfortable.

thanks for a comprehensive answer Fluffy, appreciate it

I just recently acquired the Elegia also and i feel the stock pads are the best ones in preserving the overall identity of the headphones - both sound and comfort wise

Top Bottom