• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Chorus OD 706 V Outdoor Speaker Review

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
...shocked to see measurements that pretty much matched mine......

Year nice enough match thanks and thanks for review ..:)
Manufacture.png

tuga

Major Contributor
What are the requirements for an outdoor speaker besides weather-proofing?

I presume, perhaps mistakely, that outdoor speakers are mostly used for background music or perhaps good speach "clarity" for watching Sunday's match.
It looks to me like an omni design might be preferable.

What about the target curve? How should they Spin?
Without boundary reinforcement an ideal curve for outdoors might be different than an indoor one.
And maybe such speakers should have two or three "response curve" settings depending on the background noise.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
What are the requirements for an outdoor speaker besides weather-proofing?

I presume, perhaps mistakely, that outdoor speakers are mostly used for background music or perhaps good speach "clarity" for watching Sunday's match.
It looks to me like an omni design might be preferable.

What about the target curve? How should they Spin?
Without boundary reinforcement an ideal curve for outdoors might be different than an indoor one.
And maybe speakers should have two or three "response curve" settings depending on the background noise.
I would add sensitivity and power handling. I really have to crank the HK3770 running Polk Atrium4s on my deck and the sound is still weak. Nothing like a grassy hill to suck up sound. When I replace them, I am going to look for clean flat response, but sound pressure will be absolutely critical.

I might just get some big JBL party speakers and haul them in and out.

bt3

Not about this speaker review, but one of my pet peeves - outdoor speakers. In many places they are unwelcome and not just by me. A few examples: Townhouse developments where there is little separation from ones neighbors. In shopping environments. In dentist, doctor, etc. offices. Why oh why must there be speakers cranking out music (or televisions blaring away for that matter) everywhere? Does it add to the quality of life? Is it necessary in public places like benches, chairs and bathrooms (and I've been in many public bathrooms where music was in their too)? Even before the pandemic crushed attendance at most movie theaters, I had stopped going them because the sound systems were too damn loud (and the low frequency sounds in particular resembled nothing I've experienced as natural in real life). Unwanted sound is pervasive like never before.
No surprise to most old enough to know, the world we live in is getting more crowded/congested all the time. Music is one of life's pleasures no doubt, but respect for others peace of mind seems increasingly under assault. There's a general shortage of civility in our society like never before when it comes to some things. The acceptance of noise where unnecessary is but one of these things. Is not the sound of water falling from fountains and people speaking to one another while out and about not pleasant enough on its own, without adding the grating sound of someone else's idea of what type of music and at what volume it should be broadcast to everyone from countless speakers non-stop in public spaces? No offense meant to those who prefer music in every place they may inhabit. I just have a big problem with it.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not about this speaker review, but one of my pet peeves - outdoor speakers. In many places they are unwelcome and not just by me. A few examples: Townhouse developments where there is little separation from ones neighbors. In shopping environments. In dentist, doctor, etc. offices. Why oh why must there be speakers cranking out music (or televisions blaring away for that matter) everywhere? Does it add to the quality of life? Is it necessary in public places like benches, chairs and bathrooms (and I've been in many public bathrooms where music was in their too)? Even before the pandemic crushed attendance at most movie theaters, I had stopped going them because the sound systems were too damn loud (and the low frequency sounds in particular resembled nothing I've experienced as natural in real life). Unwanted sound is pervasive like never before.
No surprise to most old enough to know, the world we live in is getting more crowded/congested all the time. Music is one of life's pleasures no doubt, but respect for others peace of mind seems increasingly under assault. There's a general shortage of civility in our society like never before when it comes to some things. The acceptance of noise where unnecessary is but one of these things. Is not the sound of water falling from fountains and people speaking to one another while out and about not pleasant enough on its own, without adding the grating sound of someone else's idea of what type of music and at what volume it should be broadcast to everyone from countless speakers non-stop in public spaces? No offense meant to those who prefer music in every place they may inhabit. I just have a big problem with it.

The majority of urban outdoor noise comes from vehicles. We who live in cities are so used to it that we've learnt for the most part to tune it out. But if you take an SPL meter out in almost any city or many suburbs (depending on the city/suburb of course), you'll see that the rising and falling sounds we are generally more conscious of in day-to-day life (people talking, birds chirping, etc. - and indeed portable speakers for the most part) barely affect the reading. It is traffic that dominates. Unfortunately I've become increasingly conscious of it in the past few years :/

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I don't use mine often, usually use them to sit and listen, not too loudly. It is fairly private. I could go up 50x on sound pressure without bothering anyone. I do not want neighbors hearing my music all the time either. If I decide to host a couple summer parties a year at 1000x current sound pressure they can deal with it though. Curious what i actually get with my setup also going through Russound SBD 4.1 and keeping amp volume around -20 db so it isnt too hot.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Agree somewhat, but I absolutely love that they're in Dentist offices. They make going to the dentist much more of an enjoyable experience.

Todd74

Could anyone assemble a list of white ceiling-mountable speakers that’d work great for Atmos? I know of some but don’t know how they stack up.

Dali Alteco
One of the many Canton’s
RSL CG3
KEF Q50A
Monitor Audio Bronze AMS
SVS Elevation
Focal Dome
Monitor Audio Radius 90
Monitor Audio Apex 10

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could anyone assemble a list of white ceiling-mountable speakers that’d work great for Atmos? I know of some but don’t know how they stack up.

Dali Alteco
One of the many Canton’s
RSL CG3
KEF Q50A
Monitor Audio Bronze AMS
SVS Elevation
Focal Dome
Monitor Audio Radius 90
Monitor Audio Apex 10
They need to be angled enough to point at your seats.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Resale price maintenance is against the law in Australia.

View attachment 86860

Here's an example:
View attachment 86859
RPM is actually a very complex subject. It was Acoustic Research's refusal to impose resale price maintenance contracts on dealers that finally did them in. It was the old free rider problem--lots of people would check out the AR's at dealers and then order from a discount warehouse. As a result, dealers started trashing AR's and stopped carrying them. The purpose of RPM is to guarantee a margin to retailers so that they will take extra care in showcasing that brand. You can translate "showcasing" any way you want, but it does take money to provide a high quality listening room and associated equipment, so manufacturers have a legitimate interest in rewarding dealers. If that weren't the case, Revel and the like could make more money by keeping the retail margin as low as possible. And it's not price fixing in the usual sense, where producers get together and limit competition among themselves. Revel still has to do battle with Kef, Focal, and a bajillion other speaker companies. That's why the Federal Trade Commission (where I was an economist for 35 years) doesn't interpret rpm as a restraint of trade as long as it's the manufacturers enforcing it on dealers, and not a bunch of dealers conspiring together in the back room to keep their margins up on speakers in general.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
...Revel still has to do battle with Kef, Focal, and a bajillion other speaker companies. That's why the Federal Trade Commission ...not a bunch of dealers conspiring together in the back room to keep their margins up on speakers in general.
Focal does not seem to be doing it much, but it is hard to say. With most of the others made in low cost locations, Focal speakers from A4L and others must have a lot less margin.

What I await is an internet direct low margin retailer modeled like Monoprice, Emotiva, or even someone like Topping or Schiit, or a new entrant to start selling good speakers that rival Revel, Focal, KEF, the good ELACS in performance. I know there is money to be made there.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Focal does not seem to be doing it much, but it is hard to say. With most of the others made in low cost locations, Focal speakers from A4L and others must have a lot less margin.

What I await is an internet direct low margin retailer modeled like Monoprice, Emotiva, or even someone like Topping or Schiit, or a new entrant to start selling good speakers that rival Revel, Focal, KEF, the good ELACS in performance. I know there is money to be made there.

Right. I've made tons. :confused:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That's why the Federal Trade Commission (where I was an economist for 35 years) doesn't interpret rpm as a restraint of trade as long as it's the manufacturers enforcing it on dealers

Interesting for sure, but quite different here in Australia. When I was sellling HiFi and consumer electronics, the RRP (MSRP to you) was merely a guide and a number which was worked back to give x points (GP$/%). Rarely was gear ticketed at RRP. If it was exclusive, maybe.

Even with exclusive dealers for brands where it was in everyone's interests (except the consumer) to keep prices similar from store to store, there was, and still is, no requirement to ticket, display or advertise at an "agreed" price. It's illegal here and the fines are huge. Apple have got themselves in trouble here for pushing RRPs on retailers by threatening supply.

Obviously, suppliers/distributors will "look after"* retailers who aren't just low margin box movers or floor stacking "stack 'em high sell 'em low" guys. Retailers who put the effort into brand loyalty and proper ranging on the floor, demos, installs, etc will get access to one-offs.

*look after- getting access to special deals, amazing run-out offers, more "advertising" support, better rebates. So it's all ultimately buried in contra deals for doing the right thing.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Right. I've made tons. :confused:
The right team might have you on it, but it is not really there, unless I am completely ignorant. I am talking about a line of speakers priced well, reviewed by Amir, and readily available on a professionally made website, and backed by a good company with good service.

I found your modified SVS speaker post, and I am confident in your ability to design, fix, or improve a crossover. Maybe the message is the only thing I am missing, maybe your SVS speakers are better than the Focals I am in the process of obtaining. If so, there is an information gap. Really to do what I am proposing you need to work with SVS on the OEM side, work with another OEM or be your own OEM. If any of those is happening, please excuse my ignorance.

This is not a criticism. I do not mean any disrespect. I know you are exceptionally talented. I know it is not simple or easy. I just mean there is a market and it is wide open.

Speakers are very different from DACs or HPAs in this regard. With electronics, there are advanced firms with outstanding products selling at high volume through an internet-direct model. With speakers, the high volume and outstandingly implemented products seem to be designed for an expensive brick and mortar sales model, even though many consumers, including me, are not interested in that sales model.

For electronics, I will buy Schiit, maybe Topping, March or Benchmark, but I am not going to a store. For speakers, I considered Revel, ELAC, and Focal, but am going with Focal due to more reasonable pricing and other factors. For any of these speakers, I am looking strictly online at A4L, WWS, Crutchfield, etc. I just don't see the value of brick and mortar retailer pricing mods.for all of these brands when I would never go to a store to shop and I do not care about the crap they might add to the product mix.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The right team might have you on it, but it is not really there, unless I am completely ignorant. I am talking about a line of speakers priced well, reviewed by Amir, and readily available on a professionally made website, and backed by a good company with good service.

I found your modified SVS speaker post, and I am confident in your ability to design, fix, or improve a crossover. Maybe the message is the only thing I am missing, maybe your SVS speakers are better than the Focals I am in the process of obtaining. If so, there is an information gap. Really to do what I am proposing you need to work with SVS on the OEM side, work with another OEM or be your own OEM. If any of those is happening, please excuse my ignorance.

This is not a criticism. I do not mean any disrespect. I know you are exceptionally talented. I know it is not simple or easy. I just mean there is a market and it is wide open.

Speakers are very different from DACs or HPAs in this regard. With electronics, there are advanced firms with outstanding products selling at high volume through an internet-direct model. With speakers, the high volume and outstandingly implemented products seem to be designed for an expensive brick and mortar sales model, even though many consumers, including me, are not interested in that sales model.

For electronics, I will buy Schiit, maybe Topping, March or Benchmark, but I am not going to a store. For speakers, I considered Revel, ELAC, and Focal, but am going with Focal due to more reasonable pricing and other factors. For any of these speakers, I am looking strictly online at A4L, WWS, Crutchfield, etc. I just don't see the value of brick and mortar retailer pricing mods.for all of these brands when I would never go to a store to shop and I do not care about the crap they might add to the product mix.
I will direct you here: http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
With speakers, the high volume and outstandingly implemented products seem to be designed for an expensive brick and mortar sales model, even though many consumers, including me, are not interested in that sales model.

For those of us who have been on both sides of the fence- retailers of HiFi and buyers of HiFi, there is absolutely no substitute for bricks and mortar stores.

I feel very sorry for people who think they are coming to a remotely sensible or informed buying decision, particularly when it comes to loudspeakers, by trawling the internet, watching youtube "reviews" and pressing a buy it now button. Maybe just buying some little toy bookshelf speakers for Mom's basement desktop PC "battlestation", but for serious main speakers? No chance.

Find a retailer, sit down and listen to a range of different speakers. Ask for advice. Listen and learn. That is what an evolving audiophile does. The hobby and the pursuit is not like ordering Uber Eats. It requires, time, effort and exposing yourself* to as much gear as you can hear. I've taken plane trips in the past to bigger cities to hear equipment and see a range of gear not available to me where I lived. Many others on ASR have driven across states to see and hear stuff.

Basically, anyone buying an expensive speaker without listening to it first, IMO, needs their head read.

*not in that sense! :)

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For those of us who have been on both sides of the fence- retailers of HiFi and buyers of HiFi, there is absolutely no substitute for bricks and mortar stores.

I feel very sorry for people who think they are coming to a remotely sensible or informed buying decision, particularly when it comes to loudspeakers, by trawling the internet, watching youtube "reviews" and pressing a buy it now button. Maybe just buying some little toy bookshelf speakers for Mom's basement desktop PC "battlestation", but for serious main speakers? No chance.

Find a retailer, sit down and listen to a range of different speakers. Ask for advice. Listen and learn. That is what an evolving audiophile does. The hobby and the pursuit is not like ordering Uber Eats. It requires, time, effort and exposing yourself* to as much gear as you can hear. I've taken plane trips in the past to bigger cities to hear equipment and see a range of gear not available to me where I lived. Many others on ASR have driven across states to see and hear stuff.

Basically, anyone buying an expensive speaker without listening to it first, IMO, needs their head read.

*not in that sense! :)

On the bright side, one can use the internet to investigate the available listening rooms at the brick and mortar stores. Thirty years ago I drove about 70 miles to hear a pair of Mirage M1 speakers. Only to find those were crammed into a remodeled attic room that was smaller than 12'X12'. What a waste!

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert

I certainly wasn't insulted (although just for the record, I've had my speakers subjected to full Spinorama ;public tests twice, once with Klippel equipment and I've already arranged to have a forthcoming tower Klippel-tested for product development purposes) I'm just dubious that there are buckets of gold out there ready to be grabbed by companies gearing up to sell very high quality speakers Internet Direct at low markups. If there were such a market and a practical business model, I think it would have been exploited by now. Instead you have companies like RBH , Ascend and perhaps Salk selling at small-to-moderate volume with reasonably high markups (and I mean "reasonably" in every sense of the word), and other Internet Direct companies like Monoprice, Dayton, Emotiva, etc selling entry-level to perfectly good but not high end speakers at higher volume exploiting economies of scale. I can match the quality of some Harman family speakers and the like at a fraction of the price, but only because I have no overhead, employees, dealers, or marketing costs, and because I'm an economist with no rational business sense. If a real company were to try a similar pricing and product strategy, they would run into the same expenses others face, and do so with inadequate profit margins and brand prestige.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

What's wrong with Chane, Ascend, and Emotiva?

Top Bottom