• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Celestee Review (Headphone)

SinaHakman

I don't have the ability to just EQ one channel but using that, maybe you can fix that.

@amirm thanks for the review.
One small point: With the Procedural EQ in Roon, you can add multiple PEQs and enable them for one channel only. Although one channel EQ is possible with Roon, it shouldn’t be necessary for such an expensive headphone. :)

PeteL

Major Contributor
Maybe it'd be inappropriate to label it as the seal since Amir mentioned he did try to adjust the fit around the measurement rig but to no avail. The imbalance of such a magnitude would undeniably have severe implications though
I would say seal yes, but not the seal from the pad too the head but from poor construction. the driver themselves have to have better consistency than that. To the point that I’d personally return these. it looks like a factory defect, 4 dBs difference in the subs. But it’s a scary defect because one would not necessarily notice it without measurments. Maybe Focals are getting too big for their own good, at close to a grand this should not pass quality control. At the very least it deserves explanation, it doesn’t look normal to me.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm : Because you mentioned the Aeon RT: do you have maybe the Aeon 2 Noir in for review? :)
I have been promised one but it will take a bit before it arrives.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I guess it is because the left had bad seal.
As I explained, I don't think this is the cause. Usually when it is a seal issue in one channel, the slope is the same but then it droops sooner. Here it has a kink and then flattens at a lower level.

Look at this one measurement:

Elegia_with_Celestee_pads_V2.jpg

It looks like my "bad" channel.

Come to think of it, maybe the bad channel is the way it is supposed to be and my good channel is the bad channel! :)

PeteL

Major Contributor
As I explained, I don't think this is the cause. Usually when it is a seal issue in one channel, the slope is the same but then it droops sooner. Here it has a kink and then flattens at a lower level.

Come to think of it, maybe the bad channel is the way it is supposed to be and my good channel is the bad channel! :)
but it says Focal elegia with celestee pad.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What about this unbalance? (with much more audible and critical frequencies):
High-frequency measurements tend to be quite variable especially with headphones like K371 with smaller pads.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
but it says Focal elegia with celestee pad.
Maybe they put one of the Eligia drivers in the Celestee by accident. :D

deafenears

Forum Donor

That's the Elegia though, with the Celestee pads.
062bc0f4476d440a12f0baed74973acbfbafbbbe.jpeg
F26oL7cbA8.png
OVsAgHeHnp.png

Last edited:

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It surprise me when I saw the headphone follows the curve well and even after eq amirm don’t feel the love to it as say the akg

Well, the wiggles above 1000hz matter a lot, and a few extra kHz above they'll also vary quite significantly across listeners. Both the K371 and Celestee exhibit quite a few of these wiggles even below 5000hz or so where we can be a bit more confident than above.
Even if the both of them measured exactly identically below 1000hz and, averaged and smoothed, followed the target above, the unsmoothed wiggles would be quite different enough to easily differentiate them I think ?

PeteL

Major Contributor
What about this imbalance? (with much more audible and critical frequencies):View attachment 121109
that says, in the bass region, we also have a small difference but this one is more typical of seal difference, but we see on the 371, the first dip, is translated from about 10 hz. It’s not fundamentally different than what we see here, but the difference is much bigger. The “kink” is there on both channels, but it appears 15 Hz later on the right, but the general shape remains,

phoenixsong

What about this imbalance? (with much more audible and critical frequencies):View attachment 121109
That will have adverse effects too, but to have an entire chunk of the sub bass lacking on one side can really mess up the perception of soundstage and music enjoyment. You can actually try this yourself- listen to a familiar track with a closed-back headphone you like before deliberately creating a bad seal on one side of it to hear the difference. I could no longer enjoy mine this way

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Regarding channel imbalances:
Don't for a single moment think that the same imbalance between drivers is nor will be present in any other Celestee. It will be different for each Celestee and differ from a test rig and someone's ears as well.
One should not see the plots as representative for the model except in the grand scheme of things.

Some brands do better in L-R imbalance of drivers than others.

Last edited:

Aerith Gainsborough

So I assume you didn't get it to hit Xmax like you managed to do with the Clear?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm

You can easily EQ individual channels in Roon using the Procedural Equalizer, but i don't how much you like playing DJ during these reviews.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Proper sealing is very important in closed-back headphones, but here, perhaps it's a driver mismatch issue? I also suspected a bad seal initially, but if Amir had double-checked this, no... Or maybe a slight difference in the internal damping, these things are so small that millimeters can matter.
Another interesting aspect for me, a closed-back with really low distortion, I used to think closed-back headphones tend to have higher distortion than open ones.

Last edited:
Top Bottom