• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Aria floorstander owners?

nervoustwitch88

One thing you will read a lot is this;

Go and listen to the two side by side in a store.

Youre going to spend a substantial amount of money on something you will enjoy for years to come. Are you seriously going to make that choice on behalf of me or any other stranger?
Believe me ive done this myself and sold it with loss many times. Lesson learned.

I had the 926, and heard the 936 and i found the 926 to be more balanced. In your shoes i would go for the 948 without doubt. In france on sale now for bargain.

Secondly, please dont buy a focal sub. There are brands that are specialized in making of subs like rel and svs. Are you the guy that buys a BMW watch of bike just because it says BMW? No, you buy a trek bike because they know that branche.
This, yes! Absolutely listen first whenever you can. Some manufacturers offer FREE returns, and still others offer free returns w/ you paying return shipping. 100% worth the try before you buy whenever you can.

also, NOT a fan of the Mini DSP SHD. Or any sound correction to date. I've used ARC, Roomperfect and the SHD. All of them blunted sound quality in some fashion or another. You will notice if your hearing is still intact, and if your system is resolving.

I have the Focal 906 Arias and run them with a Wiim streamer and a PS audio Stellar Strata integrated with an oldish Velodyne sub and the sound is glorious in a smallish room: 10x12 with vaulted ceiling.

nervoustwitch88

Thanks for your help.

I understand what youre saying. What some forums said is very true, i dont care what the chart says..these speakers are VERY sensitive to their amp. Doesnt mean you need to splurge thousands on an amp. It just means that you need one that helps the focals to be their best. I noticed with a class d amp they were very harsh on some tracks...then i changed the opamps in that same amp and the harshness was gone. I will try to find an amp like parasound and see how they sound then but i have my eyes open to other alternatives.

This is not a plug and play, be amazed kind of speaker. Right room, right amp, they can be the best youve heard.

yeah, agree. I only just recently got my Aria 906's singing with a PS Audio integrated.
the 936's are tough on amps... partly i think because they will reveal the flaws in recordings and overall system. also, they can be bright, but so is a ton of audio gear out there, and bright + bright is no bueno.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
also, NOT a fan of the Mini DSP SHD. Or any sound correction to date. I've used ARC, Roomperfect and the SHD. All of them blunted sound quality in some fashion or another. You will notice if your hearing is still intact, and if your system is resolving.
The two last sentences appears condescending and seems to indicate that you are leaning more towards the subjective elitist audiophilia (better earing and better "resolving" system than others) side than towards objective science side backed by measurement.
I find your conclusion quite harsh and completely subjective.
Can you provide inspectable / measurable facts that DRC blunted sound quality that much?
Have you ever made measurements?
I have used room correction for years (from manual filters generated by rew and rephase to automated system such as Dirac) in different rooms and different speakers. It always improved the sound quality with measurement backing up these improvements.
Of course, improper usage of DRC, as any tools, could lead to disasters.

Even with my latest speakers (Focal Kanta no2, I presume that we can safely characterize them "more resolving" than Aria 906), Dirac correction made tangible sound quality improvements that are reflected by measurements.

Witterings

Has anyone heard the standard 926 / 936's against the K2's and has any comments on how they may differ in sound?

yeah, agree. I only just recently got my Aria 906's singing with a PS Audio integrated.
the 936's are tough on amps... partly i think because they will reveal the flaws in recordings and overall system. also, they can be bright, but so is a ton of audio gear out there, and bright + bright is no bueno.
i agree 100%

Top Bottom