• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Aria 906 Speaker Review

dgswim

Forum Donor
Yeah, $900 for dark walnut with a coupon. What's not on Amazon?
With the cupon the $999 is reduced to $899 but there is tax too. I live in Texas, thats another $75. I did find when I tried to buy two pair the $100 was not available for the 2nd. So its a one time $100 at Amazon. I bought them based on the review and opinions here and have never heard them. Im sure they will sound fine.

What I am interested in the Focal Aria 948 Floorstanders. I have not been able to find reliable thoughts on those. For $3000 shipped with tax they could be interesting. Is there any first hand experience with them here?

dgswim

Forum Donor
That's pretty possible.
I really like the Aria, both 906 and 948 (although there is quite a difference between those)
But I can't stand the Focal 1038be treble, as an example.
I tried several times, but I always end up with an immediate reject reaction.
(1038be is with Focal's "Beryllium" tweeter)
So have you heard, used or own the 948?

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I really like the Aria, both 906 and 948 (although there is quite a difference between those)
Ooh I am curious. My friend has the 926 and they don't sound much different to my ears compared to my 906.
Except for the expected difference in bass output, naturally. It was actually his 926 that made me fall in love with the Focal sound, leading me to buy both Clear and 906.

Do the 948 have a different Character altogether?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ooh I am curious. My friend has the 926 and they don't sound much different to my ears compared to my 906.
Except for the expected difference in bass output, naturally. It was actually his 926 that made me fall in love with the Focal sound, leading me to buy both Clear and 906.

Do the 948 have a different Character altogether?
Medium and highs are very similar.
Bass and output level are in another league, of course. As is size.
I like big speakers that are comfortable going loud.
Note that I use them with Dirac for lows.

dgswim

Forum Donor
Medium and highs are very similar.
Bass and output level are in another league, of course. As is size.
I like big speakers that are comfortable going loud.
Note that I use them with Dirac for lows.
I jumped out there and bought the Klipsch RF-7 IIIs and I like them. Not sure if I love them but they are good. Bass is not that great but its ok. My room is weird so that may have something to do with that. Can anyone here tell me a Focal 948 vs Klipsch RF-7 III scenario? Would I gain so much replacing the Klipsch with the Focal 948 that its worth a drastic change there? Is there convincing arguments why I should not subject myself to these but go with the 948 for my own good?

dgswim

Forum Donor
I jumped out there and bought the Klipsch RF-7 IIIs and I like them. Not sure if I love them but they are good. Bass is not that great but its ok. My room is weird so that may have something to do with that. Can anyone here tell me a Focal 948 vs Klipsch RF-7 III scenario? Would I gain so much replacing the Klipsch with the Focal 948 that its worth a drastic change there? Is there convincing arguments why I should not subject myself to these but go with the 948 for my own good?
Even though I hate boxing stuff up and sending it back and usually only do it well, never, I can in this case. I have not taken the RC64 center out of the box, have the klipsch boxes still and can send them back.

Also, I did buy 4 Focal 906, two side and two rear speakers so the 948 would mate well with those. I can get the Focal 948 for $200 or so each more than the Klipsch. I have not priced the Focal center speaker yet. I did not realize I could get a pair of 948 for the price I can when I bought the klipsch. I feel I got a great deal on the klipsch too. The focal would be factory refurbished though, with the same 5 year warranty as new and no signs of use.

AndrewDavis

For info Amir's analyze for Aria 906 looks be a 62-63Hz ish 4th order Butterworth roll off and probably need some assymetric counterparty to sum smooth, using symmetric 4th order slopes Linkwitz Riley is theoretical better and sum smooth at least in theory and modeling it does :)

Is this an answer to my question about subwoofer crossover frequency settings? I find your response facinating, but a bit over my head. :D

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this an answer to my question about subwoofer crossover frequency settings? I find your response facinating, but a bit over my head. :D
It would probably be better to set the crossover point at 70Hz or 80Hz and use a filter for both the mains and the subs tho.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For info Amir's analyze for Aria 906 looks be a 62-63Hz ish 4th order Butterworth roll off and probably need some assymetric counterparty to sum smooth, using symmetric 4th order slopes Linkwitz Riley is theoretical better and sum smooth at least in theory and modeling it does :)

Between 30 Hz and 60 Hz there is a difference of 18 dB according to Amir's measurements. So it makes a 18db / octave slope, hence a 3rd order Butterworth.

See here for example: https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/filter/filter_8.html

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Is this an answer to my question about subwoofer crossover frequency settings?.....

Yes 4th order BW @63Hz 'ish as seen in below magenta overlay and more info on the silver overlay later...
AndrewDavis_1.png

.....I find your response facinating, but a bit over my head. :D

Thanks will try explain, but will say as general note stuff down at those frequency is hard to get a real grab on in a indoor enviroment so ignore me is fine and anybody can tune as they like by ear or whatever, but there is principles and some come here.

4th order BW slopes if they symmetric dont sum flat as seen for below 63Hz filters but they in phase, symmetric slope means both the high pass and low pass one are tuned to same 63Hz frequency...
AndrewDavis_2.png

Same 4th order BW as above but asymmetric in the low pass slope is decreased to 52Hz and we still have some amplitude ripple and phase gets out of sync...
AndrewDavis_3.png

Here is symmetric 4th order LR @80Hz that sum smooth and in phase, the silver target curve shown up in the first graph...
AndrewDavis_4.png

Should anyone like the 4th order LR idea at 80Hz there is 3x PEQ filters and their numbers below so that Aria 906 get in that roll off slope area and also theoretical it should distort much less and probably perform some higher SPL than when it runs fullrange...
AndrewDavis_5_500mS.gif

Last edited:

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Between 30 Hz and 60 Hz there is a difference of 18 dB according to Amir's measurements. So it makes a 18db / octave slope, hence a 3rd order Butterworth.

See here for example: https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/filter/filter_8.html
Thanks you could very well be right but please see first graph in previous post with the magenta target curve and notice from 40Hz and down graph line get kind of wavy and probably loose S/N ratio and room reflections kick in and more often boost the curve a bit down there than interfer.

stren

Forum Donor
Shame they don't deliver further ;) That's only $520 + ship + import fees. The 926's also seem like a decent deal at ~1250-1390eu also. Those are $2300-$3300 here. Some of you should setup a side business exporting to the US ;)

Top Bottom