• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Aria 906 Speaker Review

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, I've been looking forward to this one! Happy to see it performed well, as the Aria has very similar measurements to the Chora, which is probably my favorite passive bookshelf below $2,000 at the moment. Here's the spin I'd made for the Chora for reference:

Focal Chora Spin New.png

The Chora is technically positioned below the Aria and has a lower MSRP, though other than being maybe a little more jagged on axis (probably due to the grille over the tweeter and/or cabinet diffraction) and having maybe a tad less bass, the spin measurements are almost identical. On the other hand, the Aria has been around for so long that it's often easy to find for the same price as the chora, sometimes even less. The Aria seems built a little more fancy, but I personally prefer the boxy looks and chic looks of the Chora (blue driver!) so it's kind of a moot point.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
The broad bump in the midrange seems it would be troublesome. With our discussion on the Buchardt S400 high-Q midrange peak getting a lot of attention in your recent review, I would expect this speaker's wide-Q bump to be more noticeable to the ear. Luckily, I assume it can be EQ'd down rather easily.

Last edited:

muad

The broad bump in the upper midrange seems it would be troublesome. With our discussion on the Buchardt S400 high-Q midrange peak getting a lot of attention in your recent review, I would expect this speaker's wide-Q bump to be more noticeable to the ear. Luckily, I assume it can be EQ'd down rather easily.
Which bump are you referring to specifically? The elevation between 4 and 12khz?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice! I am a big fan of the sound of French speakers—Triangle, in particular, of which I own the Celius, Titus, Sextan, Aliote, and Sub Espace in a 7.1 configuration. Triangle, Focal, Cabasse, Elipson, and JM Reynaud speakers do not all sound the same, but there is a pretty consistent lightness and speed to the sound—in other words, the bass is never overcooked and plodding, and the midrange is not burdened by chestiness in voices, etc.

urfaust

Now im really curious to see the Solo 6 tested, they should have a similar character with a bit improvement on the woofer, also the port in front is in a different shape, and you would guess some substantial improvements up high with the berylium tweeter. Ah i wish i could send mine... but nah that's too far and would miss my daily delight for too long :)

lc155

Been loving my speaker for the past half a year I've had it. Glad to see the measurements hold up well too.

mk05

Forum Donor
I was looking into these for my office. These can be had for very cheap on secondary market.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I had the Focal 807V previously. Ridiculously good speaker. Use Focal K2 in my car.
I think I am getting better at predicting/correlating your measurements with my listening preferences.
Thanks for the review!

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The broad bump in the midrange seems it would be troublesome. With our discussion on the Buchardt S400 high-Q midrange peak getting a lot of attention in your recent review, I would expect this speaker's wide-Q bump to be more noticeable to the ear. Luckily, I assume it can be EQ'd down rather easily.

I think the reason it may not be so bad on the focal is that it's mostly an on-axis problem. It largely fades away off axis, while the S400 has a recurring prominent peak here.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice review. $1000 per pair at accessories4less. They don't have a strong dealer network in the US it seems. The flax driver looks nice.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom