• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Aria 906 Speaker Review

Andrew678

definitely not the exact same. According to Focal because they make their own drivers, drivers are tweaked for each individual model -- not just tweaks per speaker family. I believe the
The "glassy treble" hasn't been measured with the ESS, but may reflect the digital filter or an IMD hump. If you look at my experiments with the Cambridge DacMagic XS which sounded and measured poorly, but then was "fixed", there may be an unusual perfect storm. I would try running the D50 at -10dB or -6 dB instead of 0 dB and then seeing if it takes away the glare.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ifferences-between-two-dac-amp-dongles.13715/
-6 or 12 dB does not change anything as far as I can hear, well, side by side comparing D70 D50 and 1792 in FiiO X5 ii I can hear differences, in particular with high quality harpsicord recordings that are naturally full of treble and "steel". Moreover female voices (mezzo soprano) are more human on D70 less alien (in the sense of the Fifth Element scene with an alien opera singer). All this is felt on both KEF and Focal. Of course differences between the speakers are more pronounced than between the DACs. The very fact that D50 and D70 do sound different (ok I did not do a blind test but I do believe I can pass it) means that there is something that is not measured in Amir's and other's plots. by the way 1792 is close to D70, here I am not sure I can distinguish them.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
-6 or 12 dB does not change anything as far as I can hear, well, side by side comparing D70 D50 and 1792 in FiiO X5 ii I can hear differences, in particular with high quality harpsicord recordings that are naturally full of treble and "steel". Moreover female voices (mezzo soprano) are more human on D70 less alien (in the sense of the Fifth Element scene with an alien opera singer). All this is felt on both KEF and Focal. Of course differences between the speakers are more pronounced than between the DACs. The very fact that D50 and D70 do sound different (ok I did not do a blind test but I do believe I can pass it) means that there is something that is not measured in Amir's and other's plots. by the way 1792 is close to D70, here I am not sure I can distinguish them.

So as not to go too off-topic, do you hear the "glare" with DSD or not? If you do, then the problem is in the analog output stages and not the DAC. If you don't hear glare, then the problem is in the digital filter -- does the glare seem lower with Filter #7 or #5?

OP1M.DR3M

Forum Donor
I own these speakers (with Musical fidelity m3si +2Qute Dac) - After enjoying for last few years , i can say that for my tastes, these speakers need to be positioned a little away from walls and slightly angled to form a listening triangle. there is another comment earlier that avoid position above ear levels, that also is a good advice with these speakers and matches my listening experience. ideally stand mounted- focal stands with these speakers are not cheap but look stunning, speaker in gloss black of course. I know there is a mention earlier of bass- i find bass not overwhelming but rather mellow but it is present to my ears. these speakers do not sound nice in smaller rooms. you need room size of around 15 squared meters both in my experience as well per focal documentation i read somewhere a while ago. with a decent amp , these speakers sound bigger than typical bookshelf speaker. when you add everything - we get an awesome sounding speaker with matching looks at a reasonable price point from a western company with a made in Europe product and what appears with good quality controls.

Damn.. guess I'm screwed with my 12 square meter room. Why do you feel a smaller room hinders it? Does it overwhelm with bass?

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would like to see measurements of this scenario, THD of a speaker like the 906 when crossed at 80Hz compared to THD when playing full range.
@amirm is this possible with the Klippel? Would you consider trying it?
Well, this speaker is shipped back. I can hack this to happen with a fake microphone calibration maybe. Can someone give me a excel spreadsheet with a handful of sample points for the crossover you want me to try?
I measured with the crossover setting on (80Hz) and off using my AVR and this is what happened to the frequency response.
Measuring distance was 50cm from the center of the Woofer.....
.....I attached the exported measurements and the calculated attenuation between the curves in excel form.
Filter seems to be -12dB/octave.....
.....Perhaps this could be of assistance?
It is. I was just asking for an idealized one but I can also use this one. So thanks!

Below filter transfer low end roll off of Aria 906 to textbook 4th order LR @80Hz, filter is attached as txt-file in two versions MP (minimum phase) and LP (linear phase).
HP_filter.png

Attachments

• MP_Focal_aria_906_63Hz_BW4-rolloff_transform_to_80Hz_LR4-rolloff.txt
    18.3 KB · Views: 132
  • LP_Focal_aria_906_63Hz_BW4-rolloff_transform_to_80Hz_LR4-rolloff.txt
    18.3 KB · Views: 100
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Below filter transfer low end roll off of Aria 906 to textbook 4th order LR @80Hz, filter is attached as txt-file in two versions MP (minimum phase) and LP (linear phase).
Thanks but I think I confused you all. I am just looking for the filter in a typical mains roll off for a sub. The system requires a table for it and that is the part I was asking someone to generate (frequency, level). Not anything specific with this speaker.

Aerith Gainsborough

Thanks but I think I confused you all. I am just looking for the filter in a typical mains roll off for a sub
I know that but calculating the actual filter attenuation from my AVR via 2 measurements was the easiest way for me to generate the data.
Speaker used / EQ settings etc should not matter in that circumstance. The filter data will be the same, no?

Last edited:

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Thanks but I think I confused you all. I am just looking for the filter in a typical mains roll off for a sub. The system requires a table for it and that is the part I was asking someone to generate (frequency, level). Not anything specific with this speaker.
Okay hope below is understand right then, its a clean minimum phase textbook output (HP @80Hz LR4) generated in Rephase, file type is frd so rename extension to txt if that is preferable.

EDIT: graph...
HP_filter_2.png

Attachments

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Okay hope below is understand right then, its a clean minimum phase textbook output (HP @80Hz LR4) generated in Rephase, file type is frd so rename extension to txt if that is preferable.

EDIT: graph...
View attachment 69656
Thanks a bunch. I should have said that I don't need such a high-resolution break down. :) Can you lower the resolution to a dozen value pairs?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(ok I did not do a blind test but I do believe I can pass it)
Believing is not enough. You have to do it to verify your own claims.
The very fact that D50 and D70 do sound different ... means that there is something that is not measured in Amir's and other's plots.
Again, belief ≠ fact.;)

Bienvenue !:)

Andrew678

Believing is not enough. You have to do it to verify your own claims.

Again, belief ≠ fact.;)

Bienvenue !:)
Has anyone on this forum done a blind testing of two DACs from the "green zone" theoretically indistinguishable? Preferably in hi-end headphones. Would be interesting to see.

OP1M.DR3M

Forum Donor
The easiest would be @MZKM 's spreadsheet with preference scores:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...4i_eE1JS-JQYSZy7kCQZMKtRnjTOn578fYZPJ/pubhtml

You can see the performance to price ratio in the relevant tabs as well.

The scores aren't perfect, but they're a pretty reliable indicator of quality. Note the Aria's MSRP is $2,000, but as they are an old model they usually sell for around $1,000 new these days, and sometimes less, with especially good deals in the used market. The other high performers are mostly newer models without the same price depreciation.

It says 80db sensitivity for the Aria 906 in the doc. Typo, I assume?

Anmol

Forum Donor
Damn.. guess I'm screwed with my 12 square meter room. Why do you feel a smaller room hinders it? Does it overwhelm with bass?
for a bookshelf design , these speakers actually sound big. in a smallish room , these speakers overwhelm and sound is not enjoyable.
note from manufacturer
https://www.focal.com/en/home-audio...:text=Aria offers a classic and,of 8ft (2.5m).
"The Aria 906 is recommended for rooms measuring from 160ft2 (15m2) and from a listening distance of 8ft (2.5m). "

apply listening triangle and keep them away from walls as well( about 30-50 cms) otherwise bass will begin to sound a bit boomy

i had these beauties on stand mounts for last 5 years, only thing thats tempted me to change is KEFR3 with its bold sound(bit like a floor standing sound from a bookshelf design) but I am generally content with aria so I will give KEF a miss for now.
good luck

OP1M.DR3M

Forum Donor
My 906s live in my living room on IsoAcoustics Stand. The white finish looks awesome.
The 906s are great. I just do not like them as much as my M16s.
PS. I have to protect the left speaker with a mouse pad as my wife likes to put things on top of my living room speakers.
View attachment 69099

Out of curiosity, what do you prefer about the M16? Also, do you feel one is "brighter" than the other? Looking at the graph below I'm inclined to think the M16 is a bit brighter.. what do people consider the "brightness region"? ~5-8khz?

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 3.22.38 PM.png

tuga

Major Contributor
Out of curiosity, what do you prefer about the M16? Also, do you feel one is "brighter" than the other? Looking at the graph below I'm inclined to think the M16 is a bit brighter.. what do people consider the "brightness region"? ~5-8khz?

Yes, that range seems about right.
But I would rather use the LW or even EIR plots. Distortion will also play a part in perceived brightness or at least "irritativeness".

Last edited:

nemanja_t

Forum Donor
I had 906 after 3020i, and to me, they sound brighter. That is what caused my desire to change R-N803D. My listening position is everything but ideal. Will see what the measurements says, as 3020i are also being sent to Amir for testing.

ironhorse128

Forum Donor

I do not engage in sonic descriptions. It is so hard to compare speakers by listening. It totally depends on positioning, room, EQ, mood, etc..
I enjoy both but I did not A/B compare the arias with the M16s. The arias are in my living room and the M16s in my music room.
Sorry that I am not very helpful.

AndrewDavis

In the absence of actual room EQ, what would a good place to set the subwoofer crossover be?

BYRTT

Forum Donor
For info Amir's analyze for Aria 906 looks be a 62-63Hz ish 4th order Butterworth roll off and probably need some assymetric counterparty to sum smooth, using symmetric 4th order slopes Linkwitz Riley is theoretical better and sum smooth at least in theory and modeling it does :)

Top Bottom