• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Alpha Twin Evo (spinorama by SoundAndRecording)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
SoundAndRecording today posted the spin for Focal Alpha Twin Evo:
Which retails for US$650/each.
It has dual 6.5" woofers.
alpha_twin_evo_34_face_586x586.jpg

I appreciate that SoundAndRecording started posting the CEA-2034-A graph along with their normal graphs:

TWINSPIN-580x350.png

The rest of their graphs:
TWIN-FRE-580x433.png

TWIN-PHA-580x421.png

Twin-SPC-580x436.png

TWIN-MAX-580x432.png

TWIN-CMP-580x441.png

TWIN-MLT-580x432.png

Twin-hor-580x357.png

Twin-ver-580x357.png

Discuss!

3125b

Major Contributor
Seems pretty pointless. The normal Alpha 65 Evo is much cheaper (more than 400€/pair less), much smaller, much better horizontal directivity, flatter FR at the cost of slightly less bass extension (2Hz) and slightly lower SPL.

These horizontal 2 1/2 way designs just consistently fail to impress me and I don't know why major manufacturers try to implement that inherently inferior design over and over again.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
For comparison, here's the Focal Twin6 Be (dual 6.5" woofers) (retails for US$1700/each) that was reviewed by Erin:
pro-audio-sm6-enceintes-de-monitoring-twin6be_34_face.jpg

CEA2034.jpg

Erin's conclusions were:
In my humble opinion, I think a couple well-implemented parametric EQ bands would take this from a “great” speaker to a “benchmark” level speaker. If you are on the fence about this speaker, I think it’s definitely worth consideration. Buy it from a reputable dealer with a liberal return policy and give it a shot.
Which I don't particularly agree with.

IMO, even with EQ, the Focal Twin6 Be is still aweful. I guess im in the same boat as @3125b since I think these 2.5way type of speakers are a flawed/inferior design.
Even with the best EQ (see graph below)...why would you buy this?
I guess im missing the point of such monitors.

CEA2034.jpg

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
For comparison, here's the Focal Twin6 Be (dual 6.5" woofers) (retails for US$1700/each) that was reviewed by Erin:
pro-audio-sm6-enceintes-de-monitoring-twin6be_34_face.jpg

CEA2034.jpg

Erin's conclusions were:

Which I don't particularly agree with.

IMO, even with EQ, the Focal Twin6 Be is still aweful. I guess im in the same boat as @3125b since I think these 2.5way type of speakers are a flawed/inferior design.
Even with the best EQ (see graph below)...why would you buy this?
I guess im missing the point of such monitors.

CEA2034.jpg
The guy from Focal said they fixed all the issues with the new Twin6
Skip to 11:35

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
The guy from Focal said they fixed all the issues with the new Twin6
Skip to 11:35
I hope so. Only one way to find out...we need to see spinorama and directivity graphs.

But frankly, Focal is disappointing me.
Have you seen their flagship in-wall review by Erin? Focal 1000 IWLCR6.
I have yet to see something worthy of a flagship product...aka, something competitive to Neumann or Genelec.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I hope so. Only one way to find out...we need to see spinorama and directivity graphs.

But frankly, Focal is disappointing me.
Have you seen their flagship in-wall review by Erin? Focal 1000 IWLCR6.
I have yet to see something worthy of a flagship product...aka, something competitive to Neumann or Genelec.
Until the the Trio 11 is tested we can't really know that.
But yeah I also lean towards Genelec and Neumann

dfuller

Major Contributor
These 2.5 way MTM designs are so utterly pointless. Why even bother with them?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems pretty pointless. The normal Alpha 65 Evo is much cheaper (more than 400€/pair less), much smaller, much better horizontal directivity, flatter FR at the cost of slightly less bass extension (2Hz) and slightly lower SPL.

These horizontal 2 1/2 way designs just consistently fail to impress me and I don't know why major manufacturers try to implement that inherently inferior design over and over again.
While I am not also a fan of such designs, I think a smoother vertical directivity can be an advantage at desktop or console monitoring where the vertical surface reflections are much earlier and stronger than the side walls ones, here the comparison of both:

Twin-ver-580x357.png
A65-ver-580x357.png

The 3-5 dB higher max SPL are rather a secondary welcome gift:

TWIN-MLT-580x432.png
A65-MLT-580x440.png

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Until the the Trio 11 is tested we can't really know that.
But yeah I also lean towards Genelec and Neumann
The Trio 11 has been long measured also by S&R, measurements are, while not at highest Genelec and Neumann level, not bad and Prof. Goertz gave them the highest subjective sound quality score, I also like their looks and price and would consider them:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was thinking from those directivity plots it might be a good center channel turned up on its side with a slight bias to one side of the room.

dfuller

Major Contributor
The Trio 11 has been long measured also by S&R, measurements are, while not at highest Genelec and Neumann level, not bad and Prof. Goertz gave them the highest subjective sound quality score, I also like their looks and price and would consider them:

I've used their little brother, the Trio6 - quite good speakers. Not quite as textbook as Genelec or Neumann, but certainly not bad.

Top Bottom