• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Alpha 50 vs. Adam T5V/T7V

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
@renaudrenaud recently replaced his ELAC DBR-62 + powerful and clean TPA3255 cards by a pair of Focal Alpha 50 in his living room.
Nuff said.

Well, it's true. I gave the Elac to my cousin so I just have the Alpha 50 in the living room.

I like them very very much, but it's just a biased opinion, French guy liking a product from a French company, and really low price for a pair of speakers.

I like the idea I paid just for the components, not the the look. Don't care the look.

I've put lot of stickers in the side of the speakers to degrade their look and I like the fact they now look like toys (and ugly).

I don't care a lot of plenty of things and especially I don't care if you prefer the Adam or something else. :facepalm:

Finally I prefer to spend my money on old things I like to repair or component for things I like to build with my wife.

Err... And because this website I have to buy each month a product from Topping.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why did you guys choose the Alpha 50s over the Alpha 50 Evos?
Probably because Alpha Evo is a just released product. Also, @daftcombo does not own the Alpha 50.
@renaudrenaud recently replaced his ELAC DBR-62 + powerful and clean TPA3255 cards by a pair of Focal Alpha 50 in his living room.
Nuff said.
Hum, I thought it was temporary the time you get your Elac back, @renaudrenaud (?)

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@renaudrenaud @daftcombo Why did you guys choose the Alpha 50s over the Alpha 50 Evos?

I have not heard the Alpha 50 Evo yet, just the Alpha 50 at Renaud's.

I have had a pair of JBL 305p MKII at home, thought it was ok, and advised Renaud to buy a pair as they are dirt cheap. But he hates them, and I also sold my pair after I bought a much better pair of Genelec 8030C.

I can't comment on the T5V nor T7V, except that I saw them in a store and they look much better in person than on pictures.

Hum, I thought it was temporary the time you get your Elac back, @renaudrenaud (?)

Renaud likes to have the amplification inside the speakers. It leaves more room on his desk to put turntables.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would guess for two reasons, 8" woofers are for two ways a bigger compromise in the important mid region and Focal makes wide directivity designs where a 8" driver would beam too much compared to the wide directivity tweeter designs they use.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The look of the Evo line is much better than the look of the oldest line IMHO. De gustibus...

But I'd be glad to see someone measure the new ones to see if it is not better to get the oldest still.

YSC

Major Contributor
it's reviviing the old thread, but to @renaudrenaud how's the evo 50 lasts on you? I mean did it have the shape series auto standby bug or even breaks down after a year of frequent uses or so? planning to get a pair for my TV speakers, since I quite like the focal brand, the shape is a bit too pricy for not getting Neumann or Genelec, and also the reliability seems a bit holding me back

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Well, got 3 pairs for the family with no technical problem, no reliability issue.

The fact is the speaker can go to standby when the sound is not loud enough.

I got a pair of Alpha 65 Evo recently and the new model has a removable auto stand.

So if you want to avoid the auto standby, you have to go for the new "Evo" alpha models.

YSC

Major Contributor
Well, got 3 pairs for the family with no technical problem, no reliability issue.

The fact is the speaker can go to standby when the sound is not loud enough.

I got a pair of Alpha 65 Evo recently and the new model has a removable auto stand.

So if you want to avoid the auto standby, you have to go for the new "Evo" alpha models.
Autostandby is useful as I don’t want to keep it 24/7 or need to remind wife to keep turning them off, just hope the sensitivity is right

Top Bottom