• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Focal 906 or Revel CONCERTA2 M16?

Superparati

Dear,

I went though a lot of pages from this form to understand and capture information in order to help me and choose the right speaker to go with my Arcam A29.

Currently I have a nice pair of Dali Zensor 1 connected to my amp without Sub (and I don't want one). Time to do the jump.
Today, I went listening to few speakers at richer sounds:
  • Dali Opticon 2
  • Focal Aria 906
  • Revel CONCERTA 2 M16

From those 3 I found the Revel and Focal having more bass while the Dali was more in the high frequencies and behind in the bass.
I don't know which one to choose between the Focal or the Revel and would need some advice.
I check on the Revel website and they do not give a lot of technical information especially the high frequencies, which is a bit strange.
The Focal are very nice, warm with a rich sound which offer great characters. The Revel offer the same but with a bit more bass. However I'm not sure in the high frequencies if the Revel are as good as the focal. from the listening looks like but not sure.

My type of music is very much classical music such as Brahms, Strauss, Vivaldi, Wagner, Mozart……… and more rhythm with Daft Punk, Jean Michel Jarre, Electric Light Orchestra, the Alan Parson Projet, Muse, and Electro. Very large variety of music as you can see.

Last, the price in UK the Focal comes at 800£ and the revel at £1000 when in US the revel is more at $900.

From your knowledge and experiences which one would you pick?

I feel also touching the price range of 1k I know the KEF 3R are the reference and spending 1k on the Revel might be disappointing. I don't know if I have the right approach but I feel like that now.

Thank you for your advice!

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you describe your room?

Can you audition those speakers?

OP
S

Superparati

Sure I've a 25 / 30 M2 room, with wooden floor.
And I forgot to mentioned but yes I went to listen it to then this morning.

OP
S

Superparati

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Focal, Revel and Kef are all great speakers. If you can, demo them in your room and pick the set you like best.

OP
S

Superparati

After much reflection I went with a pair of R3 Kef walnuts :) still waiting as was in back order. the price is indeed very different when a Focal can be found at 600€ in France vs Kef 1600€ it is a huge difference (but in UK the focal comes at 800£ and kef 1300£). I feel, sound wise, a beautiful well balanced very smooth and deep sound. Built quality is amazing, stronger than the Focal for sure.

I think I made a long term choice and very pleased with this decision.

Thank you all for your advice and now I working on building my Christmas DAC to replace my current HiFiBerry DAC Pro.

kevin1969

I just bought a pair of Revel M16s. I am shocked that they cost what they did considering how good they are.

paul 1952

I just bought a pair of Revel M16s. I am shocked that they cost what they did considering how good they are.
Have to agree...Picked up a pair back in January...Needed some brake-in...I have appx. 60 hours into them and they continue to amaze me..Seem to be getting better and better...In my opinion, best bang for the buck under $2000..My speaker search is finally over..will be hanging onto these for a long time...They look good and sound great! They replaced a pair of Elac UB5's which I really liked....These are so much better...

paul 1952

Have to agree...Picked up a pair back in January...Needed some brake-in...I have appx. 60 hours into them and they continue to amaze me..Seem to be getting better and better...In my opinion, best bang for the buck under $2000..My speaker search is finally over..will be hanging onto these for a long time...They look good and sound great! They replaced a pair of Elac UB5's which I really liked....These are so much better...

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Break-in is a myth, but good you enjoy them. ;-)

Top Bottom